Secret Sets 2023

Welshinexile

9 minutes ago, gfa said:

Lets remember that not everyone is glued to here 24/7

If i hadn't told my group the secret sets they wouldn't have had a clue, would you say the same for yours?

I kind of enjoy being the one in my group who gets wind of all that stuff before everybody else, and tbh I think it works really well that there’s probably one obsessive in every group feeding them info that then spreads through word of mouth to the rest of the fest. It’s a great little system that often rewards those with their ear to the ground.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I kind of enjoy being the one in my group who gets wind of all that stuff before everybody else, and tbh I think it works really well that there’s probably one obsessive in every group feeding them info that then spreads through word of mouth to the rest of the fest. It’s a great little system that often rewards those with their ear to the ground.

Prince is headlining the Crows Next at 5am.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moogster said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade but from the recent interview it seems we may not have really high profiles / planned sets this year?

I'd love to bin off secret sets but I didn't take that to mean they won't have them this year. They'll just be making more effort to make sure acts are on the right stage for them.

There is something nice about a secret set, but perhaps they just need to re-brand it as a 'late addition'. They certainly need to match the size of the act to the stage because although it was great for whoever got to see Killers in the tent, it's pretty rotten on genuine Killers fans who got locked out, or simply didn't find out in time.

I think the announcements should be made well ahead of time as well. There's nothing worse than having everyone constantly check their phones for an announcement. Isn't that exactly what we're trying to get away from?

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

There is something nice about a secret set, but perhaps they just need to re-brand it as a 'late addition'. They certainly need to match the size of the act to the stage because although it was great for whoever got to see Killers in the tent, it's pretty rotten on genuine Killers fans who got locked out, or simply didn't find out in time.

I think the announcements should be made well ahead of time as well. There's nothing worse than having everyone constantly check their phones for an announcement. Isn't that exactly what we're trying to get away from?

Nah i don’t agree with this. If people knew FOR SURE it was The Killers so ahead of time then people would’ve camped out in that tent for ages, making it impossible for people to turn up later and also ruining it for all the acts on beforehand. Keeping it secret but having people find out through internet sleuthing is definitely the best way for them to go about it, otherwise what’s even the point?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JMB01 said:

Just can’t bring myself to believe that they aren’t there at all .

No dates that weekend , history with the festival etc . It makes no sense that they wouldnt be there somewhere but not sure what slot they could realistically do based on info we’ve got .

secret set seems to make the most sense even though they’ve done it before .

They might have decided to hang fire on announcing any new Pulp dates, with it being so close to the death of their long-time bassist.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They might have decided to hang fire on announcing any new Pulp dates, with it being so close to the death of the long-time bassist.

I didn’t want to say anything but people pushing Pulp over the last few days are clearly not paying attention. 

1 minute ago, Franky said:

That’s exactly it !! 👍 does it still work? 

It does, although who's to say whether Twitter will still allow third parties to relay on the tweets as SMS this year. Looks like it should all work as normal, but may need you to use the Twitter app. We (I'm involved with running it) asked whether people still used SMS last year and there was a huge amount of support for continuing to support SMS, so we plan to format the tweets to translate to text messages for at least the next couple of years, assuming it's technically possible.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It does, although who's to say whether Twitter will still allow third parties to relay on the tweets as SMS this year. Looks like it should all work as normal, but may need you to use the Twitter app. We (I'm involved with running it) asked whether people still used SMS last year and there was a huge amount of support for continuing to support SMS, so we plan to format the tweets to translate to text messages for at least the next couple of years, assuming it's technically possible.

You Sir are a legend! I took great pride in the year I helped out with it. Hopefully we will have some volunteers this year 👍

Just now, Franky said:

You Sir are a legend! I took great pride in the year I helped out with it. Hopefully we will have some volunteers this year 👍

What year were you involved? You sent out the tweets from the SecretGlasto Twitter account?

It's @mr flow who deserves the most credit, he's done several years sending out the tweets now.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Nah i don’t agree with this. If people knew FOR SURE it was The Killers so ahead of time then people would’ve camped out in that tent for ages, making it impossible for people to turn up later and also ruining it for all the acts on beforehand. Keeping it secret but having people find out through internet sleuthing is definitely the best way for them to go about it, otherwise what’s even the point?

In this instance, it clearly was a case of the act being far too big for the venue. And besides the disappointment of fans, there are safety issues that need to be combatted, as Sugababes last year proved.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What year were you involved? You sent out the tweets from the SecretGlasto Twitter account?

It's @mr flow who deserves the most credit, he's done several years sending out the tweets now.

I’m gonna guess at 2014 but honestly I can’t remember. I’ve not been since 2017 but remember getting the alerts that year. 

Just now, maelzoid said:

In this instance, it clearly was a case of the act being far too big for the venue. And besides the disappointment of fans, there are safety issues that need to be combatted, as Sugababes last year proved.

Sugababes was a huge oversight on the festivals part I agree, and tbh even I didn’t expect them to get such a massive crowd, but as for The Killers and other secret sets, what makes them so special is seeing them in such an intimate setting when they’d usually be doing arenas and the like. The Killers was busy but they closed it off long before it reached a dangerous level, and any disappointed fans… well, just go see them at their own show.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Sugababes was a huge oversight on the festivals part I agree, and tbh even I didn’t expect them to get such a massive crowd, but as for The Killers and other secret sets, what makes them so special is seeing them in such an intimate setting when they’d usually be doing arenas and the like. The Killers was busy but they closed it off long before it reached a dangerous level, and any disappointed fans… well, just go see them at their own show.

TLC was the one that surprised me, but Sugababes was obviously too big a booking. I know pop moves on fast, but they've had six number one singles. Six! And twelve more in the top 10.

Apart from McCartney and Elton, I'm struggling to think of any other recent headliners to match that kind of chart performance, for singles at least.

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Got an E-Mail from Zapier a month or so back saying that they're able to work with/around the Twitter API changes - though as you say given the propensity for changing things at no notice who knows whether that'll stand in a few months (or hell, whether Twitter will even exist by then).

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

TLC was the one that surprised me, but Sugababes was obviously too big a booking. I know pop moves on fast, but they've had six number one singles. Six! And twelve more in the top 10.

Apart from McCartney and Elton, I'm struggling to think of any other recent headliners to match that kind of chart performance, for singles at least.

TLC had fuck all proper competition if I remember correctly, but yeah that was crazy and I don’t think anybody could’ve predicted that they’d draw that big of a crowd. Guess it says a lot about how big the market is for some nostalgia driven but actually very good pop tunes. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

I do too but surely not everyone has this. the bucket listers definitely don't for instance

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

late announced special guest

agree re last point

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

There’s nowhere for Pulp to fit in on the lineup even if they were held back. Pyramid subs all taken, Other headliners all taken. Where else are they gonna play announced, realistically?

Don't say that.. so sad if they're not there.. not only because it would be one of my must sees of the weekend wherever they play. I just can believe the biggest reunion of the year could pass Glastonbury by with their history.. maybe they said if we can headline and yous rather have wizkid and Lana del Rey then we're not playing lol. Shame if they were asking too much maybe.. just baffles me a bit

If Pulp hadn’t done a secret set last time, I’d say they’d be a shoe-in for one now. As it is, just seems a bit unlikely they wouldn’t put them on the poster this time. I’d happily believe that they’re being held back until the next drop except there’s only 1 or 2 slots they could play - opening Other (surely too big for that?) or replacing QOTSA if they’ve dropped out (and surely Pulp would have been booked a long time before that). Hate to say it but it really looks like they won’t be there.