2023 line up thread

Guy Incognito

13 hours ago, Superscally said:

Nah. Just can't be arsed with your negative vibes over a hugely positive festival. Your deflection ain't working. If you don't like it, don't go. Plenty of people will have your ticket.

OK, I promised myself I wasn’t going to do this, but against my own better judgment I’m going to weigh in one more time and then leave you to it.

I’m a fairly new joiner to Efestivals, but I’ve been watching this forum for years. It’s been invaluable for info and recommendations about new music, festival layout, food, drink, comedy, camping and all the rest. There have always been differences of taste and opinion, many being about the strength or weakness of the lineup. I can’t remember anybody as aggressive or unpleasant in their dismissal of other peoples’ opinions as you. You are clearly desperate to paint yourself as more adventurous, open-minded, knowledgeable and generally better at End of the Road than the rest of us mainstream headliner-obsessed stream-counting dilettantes (though you undermined yourself there by going on about one of the headliners and their ability to fill big venues, as well as quoting the guy who talked about their massive Spotify stream count as if was suddenly important).

I didn’t come to this forum for arguments. I came to anticipate, speculate, discuss, learn, listen to other people’s opinions and express my own. You just want to insult and shout down any opinions that do not line up with your own. One of us has misread the mood and purpose of this forum. Given the support some of your posts have had, I suspect it may be me. Too much of a snowflake, I guess. So I’ll pop off now, mind my own business, and leave you to have the last word. Knock yourself out.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Hooskerdoo said:

OK, I promised myself I wasn’t going to do this, but against my own better judgment I’m going to weigh in one more time and then leave you to it.

I’m a fairly new joiner to Efestivals, but I’ve been watching this forum for years. It’s been invaluable for info and recommendations about new music, festival layout, food, drink, comedy, camping and all the rest. There have always been differences of taste and opinion, many being about the strength or weakness of the lineup. I can’t remember anybody as aggressive or unpleasant in their dismissal of other peoples’ opinions as you. You are clearly desperate to paint yourself as more adventurous, open-minded, knowledgeable and generally better at End of the Road than the rest of us mainstream headliner-obsessed stream-counting dilettantes (though you undermined yourself there by going on about one of the headliners and their ability to fill big venues, as well as quoting the guy who talked about their massive Spotify stream count as if was suddenly important).

I didn’t come to this forum for arguments. I came to anticipate, speculate, discuss, learn, listen to other people’s opinions and express my own. You just want to insult and shout down any opinions that do not line up with your own. One of us has misread the mood and purpose of this forum. Given the support some of your posts have had, I suspect it may be me. Too much of a snowflake, I guess. So I’ll pop off now, mind my own business, and leave you to have the last word. Knock yourself out.

Don't be put off by one person's opinion mate. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and, as long as you're not trolling, I welcome yours!

Also, great username! Bob Mould for EOTR please! 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hooskerdoo said:

Not at all mate. Firstly, I'm more than aware that people have different music tastes. Secondly, I never write anything on here in an aggressive mood. If we'd have had that conversation in the pub, you'd have realised that. The problem with written text being in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

I definitely didn't undermine myself, as I was making the point that I personally wasn't bothered by that kind of thing at EOTR, but I can certainly make a guess at who will get the biggest crowd. I've also not stated I was more knowledgeable - I thought I'd made it quite clear I was going to need to research a lot of the lineup. I hate it when people say a lineup is shit when they don't know artists or to a lesser extent when their preferred genre is under-represented. If George Ezra is the reason for their ire, then they can flame away 😀.

I'm also not claiming to be "better at EOTR" than anyone else. I've not been to many, but I like what Ive seen... Maybe I am more open minded than some. Such is life. Ill be less open minded than others. My persistent point is that whatever the bill is at EOTR, it WILL be a great festival if you attend with your eyes and ears open, but incessant complaining about it serves no purpose, bums people out (including yourself probably and maybe the up-and-coming bands who see stuff like this - I'm sure George ain't arsed) and if you can't handle someone making that point, then maybe forums aren't for you. Certainly I'm not riled by people coming back at me. Accept the fact that people disagreeing with you isn't a judgement on your character, just a questioning of your point, defend it if you want, see the weakness in it if you like. Repeat. I'm sure you'll be fine 🙂 

A couple of years ago I posted on this forum and received some unwarranted advice, fair to say that I've not returned since.
It strikes me that unless Big Thief or Dry Cleaning were announced, for some the whole festival would be doomed, doomed I tell ye.
Whilst critics only offer an opinion, the March issue of Mojo gave 4 star reviews to three artists playing:
The Mary Wallopers "It would take a self-defeatingly partisan soul not to sign up for this particular craic"
Mary Elizabeth Remington "startling folk debut"
MF Tomlinson "The 21 minute title track brings it all together, signposting to Van Morrison and Talk Talk"

The point is that not all music suits all tastes and some of these are not for me, however  EOTR guarantees is diversity and quality.

Talking of which, 2022 saw the 20th anniversary of Wilco's masterpiece 4th album 'Yankee Hotel Foxtrot'. (From Wiki - Rolling Stone ranked it 3rd best album of the decade, Pitchfork 4th best of the 2000's). Jeff Tweedy is a master of his craft, his influence cannot be understated (for example Ivor Novello winning band Cherry Ghost are named after a Jeff Tweedy lyric).

Scratch beneath the surface.

Time to retreat back into the shadows..

Actually before I do, I saw Future Islands in November, still can't comprehend that someone on here described them as boring.

• Upvote 1

I'm actually feeling really positive about the line up now. 

The headliners are mostly guff for me but Angel Olsen being on Garden (i assume)rather than Woods is a lovely surprise. I think there would be less complaints about the line up if AO was top row and Future Islands were below. 

Think EOTR deserve big respect for seemingly giving Yeule and Dungen big slots where they could have just booked the likes of Squid for the umpteenth time. 

I'm fully expecting that when the set times and clashfinder are out I'm gonna be rushing all over the place. As I've said a million times it's the best undercard in years I reckon. 

All this "you said this no I meant that no that's not right you've got that wrong well I'm affronted" is bollocks, isn't it? As my friend Bruce always says, I don't really care who's playing since I've not heard of hardly any of them but it'll be great: it always is. He turned up in 2009 to the sound of Dent May playing Beach Boys on his uke, and he's been turning up ever since. It's not like there's only three acts playing, eh? I'll be going back to reading threads from 2011 for some balance.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

The headliners are mostly guff for me but Angel Olsen being on Garden (i assume)rather than Woods is a lovely surprise. I think there would be less complaints about the line up if AO was top row and Future Islands were below. 

Qualitative aside, Future Islands headlining isn't the big problem (apart from the "no women in the headliners" issue which I thought would be a lot bigger than it has been given it was a criticism aimed at last year's headliners which included two bands with women)  They played some pretty big venues when they were over in November, including the 5,000 capacity Brighton Centre, and their Manchester date was in a bigger room than Angel's was a month earlier - but in fact the latter is the same place UMO are playing in June. If anything people's problems with the headliners as a whole is they're all seen as uninventive, coupled as we've been talking about before with the lack of strength in the second tier.

(Obviously "uninventive" is in the eye of the beholder. We could be debating one of those half dozen Superstruct-owned "is it Kasabian and Royal Blood or the Wombats and the Kooks?" festivals. Truck used to be a great weekend.)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

1 hour ago, Mr Boo said:

Last year, I thought The Heavy Heavy is really good at the festival and weren’t a band I knew.

What bands have you discovered?

I've just booked tickets to see HighSchool in Bristol on the strength of seeing them in the Tipi last year. A good synth/rock sound with a nod to 80s bands like New Order and The Smiths. And I though The Heavy Heavy were bloody excellent too! Will happily watch them again.

Edited by paulwa

Some names have been added to Victorious Festival which would be a good fit for EOTR, on the weekend before but obviously the festivals aren’t too far apart geographically so might rule them out. 

Shame, Katy J Pearson, Billie Nomates, Amyl and the sniffers, The Divine Comedy and Belle and Sebastian would all be great!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Meades93 said:

Some names have been added to Victorious Festival which would be a good fit for EOTR, on the weekend before but obviously the festivals aren’t too far apart geographically so might rule them out. 

Shame, Katy J Pearson, Billie Nomates, Amyl and the sniffers, The Divine Comedy and Belle and Sebastian would all be great!

If Belle & Sebastian were playing they'd be headlining. We know Amyl are in Europe EOTR weekend so presumably Green Man have them. The Divine Comedy would have played by now if they were ever going to.

I used to live in a place where there was only one summer festival within 5 hours. I had no hesitation to complain about the lineup. But for EOTR, I've never said anything about the lineup because there are so many other options. Bluedot is probably the one for me and it looks more diverse. EOTR has at least 10 bands that I've seen and wouldn't see again, including all headliners and many of the smaller bands who played Supersonic recently. That's ok. I don't expect anyone to care about my opinion.

However, those telling people to enjoy the crowd, the trees and the mood if they don't like the bands is a bit patronising. I've been to shows for 25 years so I know what works and doesn't work for me. It sounds a bit like those annoying people at shows talking loud and trying to make people dance because it is all about the mood.

Edited by emmanuel
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 2/10/2023 at 10:42 AM, Mr Boo said:

Last year, I thought The Heavy Heavy is really good at the festival and weren’t a band I knew.

What bands have you discovered?

Yeah they were ace 'Go Down River' is still on rotation 🙂

So far this year I've really been enjoying Gena Rose Bruce, Wunderhorse, Say She She, divorce, Personal Trainer and Biig Piig. Only on the first wave of bands and I'm already terrified of the clashes 😂

• Thanks 1

One of my very favourite types of music is wide-eyed, melancholy, wistful, yearning yet spritely Australian indie. Yer Go-Betweens, yer Aerial Maps, Yer Modern Giants, Yer Stella Donellys, yer Lucksmiths and basically everything on Pop Boomerang records.

Here's Adam Gibson blowing everything else out of the water. He is pretty much my 100% dream EOTR booking, but I've kind of accepted I'm never ever going to get the chance to see him live unless I fly to Australia.