Albums of the year 2022 (publication lists(

2loor2iller

It’s that time again - over a month of the year left but the lists have started to crop up.

First one I’ve seen from Time. Bit of a weird list with a bit of a ‘eh’ #1, but some good stuff on there. Not a whole lot jumping out at me as the definitive #1 of the year tbh, although I feel like Beyoncé will probably reign supreme once all the lists are out, and rightfully so - that album slaps more than anybody thought it would:

https://time.com/6235186/best-albums-2022/

Cheers for these. Will help me pick my advent albums of the year which is my tradition where I try and find albums that have gotten some critical acclaim that I have either completely missed or not been able to spend much time with. Life post pandemic seems to have gotten a bit hectic and there are lots more on these lists that I have missed than in previous years so lots for me to listen to. Might even start a few days early to get them all in. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Cheers for these. Will help me pick my advent albums of the year which is my tradition where I try and find albums that have gotten some critical acclaim that I have either completely missed or not been able to spend much time with. Life post pandemic seems to have gotten a bit hectic and there are lots more on these lists that I have missed than in previous years so lots for me to listen to. Might even start a few days early to get them all in. 

Oh, that’s a good way of doing it. I was scribbling a few down to listen to while I work.

5 minutes ago, CiaranMc said:

Oh, that’s a good way of doing it. I was scribbling a few down to listen to while I work.

My rules are that during each day I have to listen to 1 album at least 3 times in full easy enough to do working from home most of the time but I try not to dismiss anything unless I have stuck to that rule. Have uncovered some gems over the years of doing it. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

https://www.yearendlists.com/2022/mojo-75-best-albums-of-2022

Here’s Mojo Magazine’s best of 2022, with another ‘eh’ #1.

Interesting Jack White’s album is high on the list as I thought his second one Entering Heaven Alive is stronger 

Mick Head getting the credit he deserves this time round, brilliant songwriter

1 hour ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Interesting Jack White’s album is high on the list as I thought his second one Entering Heaven Alive is stronger 

75 albums and Dawn FM by The Weeknd doesn’t appear at all? Absolute madness. 

48 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

Extremely curious how Ants From Up There ranks in these lists. It's currently #3 on Metacritic with 92% for this year and by all accounts was praised to high heaven on here & the likes of Reddit (myself included), but it's not really making much of a dent on the early lists I've seen...

Number 6 in the Rough Trade list.

6 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

4 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Here is Uncuts list: https://www.yearendlists.com/2022/uncut-75-best-albums-of-2022

Thom and the lads will pop up in many of these, alongside Kendrick and Rosalia. 

Neither of the Real Music For The Dads mags got the bottle to give Harry's House its flowers.

• Upvote 1

my own list would probably be similar to the Resident one, with some swapping around.  

I like wet leg as much as the next guy, but with the amount of quality records out this year, it's shocking to me that it's in anyone's top ten. it's a fun record.  it is not, from a critical standpoint, anything revolutionary.  

Bravo to Just Mustard getting some recognition.  It's a thrilling record, as is the Caroline record.  I have a tonne of love for King Hannah too. 

I find these lists a bit infuriating. A bunch of journalists can’t have given all releases a good airing to come up with them, so at the end of the day it’s a bit [my taste X acclaim X popularity = winner].  Pinch of salt required.

FWIW the album I think I’ve enjoyed the most and listened to most this year is probably The Beths “Expert in a Dying Field”. Only came across it around Sept and still on repeat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I find these lists a bit infuriating. A bunch of journalists can’t have given all releases a good airing to come up with them, so at the end of the day it’s a bit [my taste X acclaim X popularity = winner].  Pinch of salt required.

FWIW the album I think I’ve enjoyed the most and listened to most this year is probably The Beths “Expert in a Dying Field”. Only came across it around Sept and still on repeat.

No idea how there can ever be a best album or song. It's totally subjective.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

This one hasn't really grabbed me as much tbh. I might need to give it more of a chance, but I revisited their first album for the first time in a while the other day and it blew me away all over again. They've developed as a band and songwriters, but they've lost the immediacy of that first one a bit.

Unsurprisingly my contenders aren't really featuring heavily in the lists, but I'm amazed that Death Cab For Cutie's effort hasn't popped up somewhere.

I like to check lists for music I don't normally pay much attention too, let's say the best electronic or metal, or from a specific country. Trying to expand my horizons with quality.

And of course catch up on stuff I wouldn't have missed if this still was the 90s and I would go almost daily to the record shop to see what's new, and study religiously a couple of magazines. (How did I miss the new Beth Orton album... Shame on me...)