Blur

jannybruck

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

The ridiculous fees also need to be canned, there's now less admin and costs to send out tickets yet everyone gets rinsed with fees 5x what they used to be.

Ultimately who is trying to make a stand? The artists are the ones best placed to put a stop to this for the sake of their fans, but instead the vast majority seem to want in on the fleecing. 

Agree on fees, but it's difficult to compare the 'good pricing' of Green Day versus the 'corporate greed' of Blur when I can't tell how much a Green Day ticket actually cost once you got to payment.  

4 minutes ago, Levitz said:

Agree on fees, but it's difficult to compare the 'good pricing' of Green Day versus the 'corporate greed' of Blur when I can't tell how much a Green Day ticket actually cost once you got to payment.  

Point being there was no golden circle, tickets priced reasonably (even without fees) and the revenue would be split between 3 headline acts. Blur only have 4 members, granted there's support acts to pay a fee too but not the same as 3 x headline acts sharing revenue, costs etc. 

Green Day etc could have charged more,  especially given the revenue being split three ways, but didn't. Blur could have charged a lot less and still have a huge payday, but instead have tried to fleece fans for as much money as possible.

1 hour ago, ClementsMike said:

On the secret set issue, the trouble with the Park is no screens and weak sound. I don't mind not being close, but as with Wet Leg, no point if all you can hear is people talking. 

2/3 main things (the other being view) are an issue then - not great

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

If "secret set" gets them around the legal issue of this being their "only UK show" then no reason the secret set has to be at The Park rather than The Pyramid. The rest is just down to how the festival want to do it.

£150 for golden circle doesn't strike me as too bad to be honest, it's the £80 for the worst seats in the house in a damn stadium that's a rip off.

Its not actually a legal issue though is it - theres nothing binding ever with that kind of thing i thought?

39 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

When they first introduced golden circle it was to reduce crushing at big gigs but there was no extra charge for it.  Dedicated fans queued all day to get in there. The fact that they (not just Blur but people in the industry in general) see it as a way to get extra money bugs me. 

I believe the last Radiohead show at the cricket ground in Manchester had this.

2 hours ago, Zacko said:

😂 Same

Hearing "ALL MY PRODIGY WARRIORS" 57 times rather than experiencing Tender is a big regret. It's not even like The Prodigy aren't fucking great, but christ. Error.

You know I’ll get a load of heat for this I’m sure, but having seen Prodigy live twice, I didn’t really enjoy either time, for the exact reason you mentioned.

There’s being a hype man, and then there’s incessantly saying the same thing over and over again. 

I love them, they formed a huge part of my youth, but I didn’t rate them live. 

(Also bitter that Blur was an all timer, double hurt!!). 

Would have really liked to see Blur, been a fan for nearly 30 years but not at Wembley and as stated these prices are crazy. For people not in London the cost of travel, hotel, food and drink makes this even more ridiculous. 100% not going.

Anyway, it won't beat Glastonbury 2009. 

Edited by Chip Batch
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chip Batch said:

Would have really liked to see Blur, been a fan for nearly 30 years but not at Wembley and as stated these prices are crazy. For people not in London, the cost of travel, hotel, food and drink makes this even more ridiculous. 100% not going.

Anyway, it won't beat Glastonbury 2009. 

That Blur set was what finally got my arse in gear and made me go to Glastonbury. I'd been talking about it for a few years but watching that at home was what made me say come on we have to ty this. 

15 minutes ago, gfa said:

2/3 main things (the other being view) are an issue then - not great

Its not actually a legal issue though is it - theres nothing binding ever with that kind of thing i thought?

Totally agree - there is nothing legal in this.   And no mention of it from Blur - only Live Nation.  I don't believe it for a second.

I really don't believe that one date at Wembley will be their only UK performance - a second Wembley date, as well as UK warmup shows beforehand, are all very likely.

Plus Glastonbury have a whole load of ways to avoid cannibalising Blur's ticket sales if needed.  Could be a secret set, could not announce until Blur have sold out, could even not announce until MUCH nearer the time.

Excited by this and can't believe the date works for me. Since Neil touted that they might play in July, I was sure it would clash with other gigs. I have already booked Truck, Y Knot, Pulp & Bastille. So the only weekend that was fully free was 8th July one. Would have sacked off Bastille if it clashed that weekend. Would not want to miss Truck & Y Knot. 

Pulp vs Blur would have been a no-brainer for me, it would be Pulp everytime. But happy, I did not have to make a choice. Just need to get tickets when they go on-sale. July 23 is becoming a stupidly expense month.

Just now, goonerben said:

Totally agree - there is nothing legal in this.   And no mention of it from Blur - only Live Nation.  I don't believe it for a second.

I really don't believe that one date at Wembley will be their only UK performance - a second Wembley date, as well as UK warmup shows beforehand, are all very likely.

Plus Glastonbury have a whole load of ways to avoid cannibalising Blur's ticket sales if needed.  Could be a secret set, could not announce until Blur have sold out, could even not announce until MUCH nearer the time.

They could be in the bag as a replacement headliner if anything happens to any of them (and that happens often enough) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

When they first introduced golden circle it was to reduce crushing at big gigs but there was no extra charge for it.  Dedicated fans queued all day to get in there. The fact that they (not just Blur but people in the industry in general) see it as a way to get extra money bugs me. 

Foo's in Milton Keynes in 2011 had this too. once you had your wrist band you could come and go. no extra charge just had to queue up. Was really good till Dave decided to go into the mixing desk so he could sing  a few songs to everyone behind it 🤣

Edited by eddie_corrigan

1 hour ago, kingbadger said:

See to me that's an insane comment, and the fact these sorts of prices are being accepted as ok is a major part of the problem.

I wouldn't pay it for a regular show, but is a one-off, if they're your favourite band, it could easily be worth it to you. The Golden Circle thing - I'm opposed to it on principle, but as someone who can no longer stand up in the same place for more than two hours without considerable pain, I can see the appeal of being able to get down the front without having to be on my feet for 4 hours. I usually do seated gigs these days.

30 minutes ago, gfa said:

There's potentially advertising standards issues. I doubt anyone would care if they did Glastonbury, but certainly if they did this as the "only UK date" then book a string of 15 nights in UK Arenas in November at half the price, people would be rightly angry.

20 minutes ago, goonerben said:

Aye, if they announced Blur next April, any "exclusivity" claims will have been long forgotten by then.

5 hours ago, brettredmayne said:

In 09 The Hyde park shows were 2nd and 3rd of July, I don’t think Wembley Will suit them but have to go 

Yeah, the weekend after Glasto it was. Still can't believe I sacked them off 'coz I had a ticket for Hyde Park the next week.

Two weeks after this time around. Must put them in with a shout. They announced Hyde Park first back in '09 didn't they iirc? It sold out and they added a second date pretty much straight away. Then Glasto later.

5 hours ago, MrRadioactiveCake said:

Slowthai, Self Esteem, Jockstrap on support duties 

Slowthai in 2019 at West Holts was just mental. Loved it (from a safe(ish) distance). Imagine that at a Wembley sized crowd.

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

One hundred pounds to stand and that's behind the golden circle?!?

Fucking hell.

Oh, Golden Circle obvs. Possibly won't be very moshy then.

I think current pricing and golden circles etc is going to put an end to my days of big gig going. Not great views if general admission (particularly Hyde Park) plus I'm getting on a bit and fed up with not getting home 'till the early hours.

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yep I'd be amazed if they are getting back together and doing the rehearsals etc for only one gig. 

its a very big gig tho, ab out as big as its possible to go in the uk.

2 hours ago, Levitz said:

Just checked my purchase history. Green day (Huddersfield gig) was £82.50, £7.50 booking fee and a couple of quid transaction fee for the total order. 

The difference between that, and recent pricing... £150 for Blur, £100 for Blink 182, £90 for Paramore is killing my love of seeing big bands live. The whole thing is utter greed sadly. 

1 minute ago, Sparticus said:

Just checked my purchase history. Green day (Huddersfield gig) was £82.50, £7.50 booking fee and a couple of quid transaction fee for the total order. 

The difference between that, and recent pricing... £150 for Blur, £100 for Blink 182, £90 for Paramore is killing my love of seeing big bands live. The whole thing is utter greed sadly. 

That Paramore standing cost was grim. Just went with nosebleeds as they were half the price and I don't mind not standing as I'll feel old compared to the rest of the fanbase haha.