Any advice for Glastonbury newcomers?

Pr0paneNightm4re

Just managed to bag 5 tickets for me and my mates to go to our very first Glasto. Camped Leeds and Download before so obvs have festival experience but wanted to know if there was any useful information (I.e. which campsites are best etc.) or anything you’d have wished you’d known before you’d been the first time?

cheers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

^^^  That pretty much covers it but I'd add, don't overthink it.  Its huge, its off the scale, you will miss lots, you will see lots you didn't plan to.  Don't underestimate how physically tough it can be, so get your fitness up over the winter!

Don’t plan to see an unrealistic amount of bands, the walk between stages can take a lot longer than you might think. After settling in just stroll about getting your bearings, discovering the hidden gems that the festival has. @CaledonianGonzo has posted a tremendous link for glastoearth. It’s a perfect guide to almost everything about the festival. Well worth a read. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

Just managed to bag 5 tickets for me and my mates to go to our very first Glasto. Camped Leeds and Download before so obvs have festival experience but wanted to know if there was any useful information (I.e. which campsites are best etc.) or anything you’d have wished you’d known before you’d been the first time?

cheers!

Welcome and well done getting tickets.  I remember your username from the reading/Leeds forum. 
my advice would be - throw out everything you know about festivals, glasto is a different beast.
Oh, and  accept that you will cry at some point during Sunday. Your body and mind will be broken though exhaustion and those tears will be coming 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

cheers!

Best campsite really depends on what you're after, in the action or a good nights sleep - I've been in all the sites to the western and sourthern sides. Bushy I found the worst for walking and felt pretty cut off but it was also a rainy year, Pennards doesn't deserve the reputation it has, and popping into the tent for some cans between West Holts and Park was a dream.

As a very specific bit of advice that I wish I had known my first time, don't just follow the crowds to SE corner after headliners as you'll end up just shuffling in a loop to the exit. If you desperately want to see something specific there or get into a venue consider going before the end of headliners, or go much later on after exploring the rest of site! Don't get hung up on queuing for stuff, there's always something incredible round the corner.

This is all in the Tort FAQs and GlastoEarth but it’s good to emphasise… look after your feet well. Invest in really good hiking socks and make sure whatever footwear you bring- boots etc are well broken in. I cannot tell you how horrible it is to have to navigate the Sunday when your feet are fucked!

Edited by CiaranMc
Autocorrect

Echoing lots of the stuff above.  The GlastoEarth link is great to have a read through to get an idea about the place.  Have a think about what you've liked about the other festivals you've been to, and what you might like to see / do at glastonbury, there's way too much to see & do.  That makes a difference with regards to camping, do you want to arrive early wednesday or late Thursday (places fill up), or be some quieter (nowhere is quiet) or louder (probably the places that fill up).

Pace yourselves - it's a big place with hills - you can't be everywhere and see everything.  But do explore, wed / thursday are great for less pressure of bands not (fully) having started yet.  Someone will start putting together a spotify playlist, of the rumours at first, but when each stage starts getting announced that expands so dramatically that it's pretty much overwhelming how much is on there - so a nice opportunity to hear some new stuff but sometimes just having 2/3 things you really want to see in a day is better than running round like a headless chicken.

Seems obvious but...  Don't bring glass, but otherwise you can bring your own booze.  There is no arena, so you can have your own booze with you all the time 🙂 

Tort FAQs has a great camping guide, used it ahead of my first trip to the farm this year.

Make sure to do a big SE corner night - its just incredible!

A lot of people say don't plan your entire day, if you want don't but if you do then do - i planned what i wanted to see quite well (especially earlier on in the day) and had a blast seeing tons of my favourite artists.

take more socks than you think youll need - its amazing how clean socks feel on knackered feet.

Leave a set of warm fluffy clothes in the car in case its a mudbath and you need to drive home in something comfy. i leave my driving trainers in the car so i dont have to worry about mud etc on my boots as well. Future me appreciates thoughtful me from the past!