Guns n Roses

Muppetmark

43 minutes ago, Sasperella2 said:

My boyfriend wanted to watch their set with me when I got home. He loved it and I thought it looked pretty fun. 

Slash is still the ultimate guitar legend. I wonder what number top hat he's on now

Impressed with his hand-stand at the end, the hat stayed in place.

Do Slash hats ever turn up in memorabilia auctions? Assuming he's gotten through a few over the years.

And there is the idea that the hair is part of the hat and underneath he has a smart short-back-and-sides and can go to his local Asda without being recognised at all.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

And there is the idea that the hair is part of the hat and underneath he has a smart short-back-and-sides and can go to his local Asda without being recognised at all

Hahaha amazing! 

Sadly the internet doesnt know what hat # he is on. But apparently he keeps the current one in a hat bag which he seems quite taken by.

You can also buy a signed Slash hat for quite the bargain.... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145149678476?hash=item21cb98538c:g:ZDMAAOSw2MJkTlTj

3 hours ago, noplacelikehome said:

Casual Guns fan here, went mostly because the teens wanted to watch, had loads of fun. Lost me a bit at times but from Civil War onwards and the earlier big hits sounded great. We were fairly far forward in front of sound decks room to move but still busy and crowd around us really into it no chatters.

I arrived as Civil War was ending, so I got there at a good time.

I thought they were really good. I was off to the left about a third of the way back and it sounded superb. Axl was better than I expected. Everyone around me seemed to know plenty of the songs and thought it thinned out a bit before Civil War, it wasn’t much.

Overall it was just great fun. A really good booking. One I never thought I’d see at Glastonbury but they were all vindicated in doing it.

Edited by MEGABOWL

On 6/25/2023 at 11:55 AM, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Don't have to try hard to find a bigger crowd, the crowd was bigger at the foo's yesterday.

I don't think the performance was bad, I just think GnR are sh*t, outside the three big hits their songs are awful. Wtf even was that one about being tied up, terrible stuff and happy for that kind of music to be resigned to the bin

i mean you can think they were sh*t at Glastonbury but in 1987 they redefined rock music, they were nothing you had ever seen. Vital rock n roll, sleazy absolute cool. Appetite is a defining album. It's/their impact was insane. They are one of the most vital bands of rock history. 

They are not the band they were, obviously, I saw them on the use your illusion tour at old Wembley, but they did a good job and anyone who thinks Nighttrain is irrelevant can get to f**k. 

Edited by Levitz
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Levitz said:

i mean you can think they were sh*t at Glastonbury but in 1987 they redefined rock music, they were nothing you had ever seen. Vital rock n roll, sleazy absolute cool. Appetite is a defining album. It's/their impact was insane. They are one of the most vital bands of rock history. 

I mean it's music, it's all subjective. I was barely alive when that album came out, it appears their three big hits are all on that one album. Pretty sh*t track record.

To say they redefined rock music the same year licence to ill was released is extra hilarious

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RaphPH said:

I was about two rows from front and loved it and got some killer pics 

Although they were insane to not start with Welcome To The Jungle  - you need a fighting sprint start as a Glasto headliner  

DSC09179.jpeg

DSC09199.jpeg

DSC09161.jpeg

DSC09201.jpeg

DSC09355.jpeg

Those are great pics, well done!

NME had it spot on with their review - best set they’ve put in in years but just to the wrong crowd as a whole.

as a GnR (particularly Slash) fa I thought they were brilliant. Not sure I want to watch it back as I know Axl’s voice will sound shocking on the recordings. His voice whilst not what it was was perfectly fine on the night.

8 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I mean it's music, it's all subjective. I was barely alive when that album came out, it appears their three big hits are all on that one album. Pretty sh*t track record.

To say they redefined rock music the same year licence to ill was released is extra hilarious

Maybe the fact that you were barely alive when Appetite came out puts you in a weak position to comment on its impact compared to those who were? Not having a go - as you say, music is subjective - but it resonated in the rock world massively.

Not a huge Guns N Roses fan, but had a great time.

GNR was a good show, Dave jamming with them is something you're unlikely to see again which pretty much sealed my choice for them over FBS but voice wise he was poor for probably 65/70% of it. Sweet Child and November Rain certainly were not done justice vocally. But 2.5 hours continuously going bar a Slash solo is impressive for them.

9 hours ago, RaphPH said:

Although they were insane to not start with Welcome To The Jungle  - you need a fighting sprint start as a Glasto headliner  

DSC09179.jpeg

DSC09199.jpeg

DSC09161.jpeg

DSC09201.jpeg

DSC09355.jpeg

Great photo's. To be honest, I think I could have got close had I attempted as the crowd certainly wasn't packed but wanted room for my feet after several days on them and not being great.

10 hours ago, RaphPH said:

DSC09179.jpeg

DSC09199.jpeg

DSC09161.jpeg

DSC09201.jpeg

DSC09355.jpeg

They always start the show with It's So Easy. Although not confirmed, I'm pretty sure that the set starts with songs in a lower register so Axl's voice has time to warm up, hence It's So Easy, Bad Obsession, Mr Brownstone. In terms of set flow though, Jungle would be the perfect opener, I agree.

Amazing photos. Good work, dude.

• Thanks 1

Wanted to enjoy it, rocked up there ready to go nuts. Just couldn't. Happy for anybody who enjoyed it in the pit but they just didn't play to the cheap seats, and that's a big part of the game. Shockingly low pizzazz considering it's goddamn Guns N Roses at Glastonbury, come on lads. Sack whoever kept filling the screens with Guitar Hero Wii graphics. Get some better lights, some pyro. Axl get some banter. Going from Rina Sawayama turning in an honest to god Pyramid headline worthy set on Woodies with a fraction of their budget to this was stark.

• Like 1

I was working at VG5 until 10 and walked across the top of the field to the Cider Bus during Mr Brownstone then back through the middle of the crowd to the right side then forward towards the front after i'd got a drink. The sound was just weird higher up the field, all vocal and no guitars. No wonder people though it was crap. When I got closer to the front the sound drastically improved and was ace. I ended up thinking it was ace. The sound on the telly was better than I heard up the field too.

Edited by Johnnyseven

9 hours ago, turricandanz said:

It was so good! id come up on a load of MDMA which obviously helped, but they put everything into it... unlike the Arctic Monkeys the night before.

It was a lot of fun, and probably the most ive ever enjoyed a headliner at my 15th Glastonbury.

Sorry, what...???

You took MDMA and went to GnR instead of (e.g.) The Levels

Definition of insanity!

I enjoyed G&R, the main thing that makes them such a pleasure to watch is Slash IMO, that man's guitar playing just does things to me. 🙈😂

I mean obviously I enjoyed the 5 big hits they played, Welcome to the jungle, Knocking on heaven's door, Live or let die, Paradise city, and Sweet Child... But Axl's voice doesn't seem it's best. 

It didn't really matter though, after Friday night, I just needed the energy that they bring to the table. Wasn't a top 5 set of the weekend, but it was solid enough, and certainly better than Arctics, by a long way.