Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

12 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Lizzo is a target for the far right. The fash fucking hate her. Solidarity is absolutely the right move in this case.

Yep plus she seems essentially good. Nothing I have read about her and I have read a lot suggests she’s a horrible person who treats people badly. A slightly imperfect person who occasionally makes mistakes but who isn’t one of those! On balance I think she does way more good in the world. 

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

For clarity I absolutely do not fall into the above group.

Didn’t think you did but every time you read a report of divaish behaviour it’s worth remembering who might be behind it plus diva on its own is problematic because straight men are rarely accused of being it. They are perfectionists instead! 

8 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Personally I think the only other act that’s around and realistic I’d have liked to see headline is The Weeknd, and he doesn’t seem to be doing any festivals with his setup so.

Would love The Weeknd to play at some point. He is one of the artists who for me, justifies the ticket price. Unfortunately I don't think it'll be 2023 or 2024 so might have to wait for what ever the 3rd part of this current 'trilogy' of albums is. 

The festival have never gone for ‘edgy’ bookings as headliners, and anyone thinking they did is using the red coloured specs. They have almost always gone for the biggest popular acts they can get. Jay-z was seen as edgy because of genre, but he was one of the biggest hip hop acts in the world. Stormzy, maybe but he had number singles by the time he headlined, so hardly a big stretch. 

it’s fine if you don’t like the current trio, but moaning that the fest is somehow all of a sudden going for popular and safe choices is not really the case.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Didn’t think you did but every time you read a report of divaish behaviour it’s worth remembering who might be behind it plus diva on its own is problematic because straight men are rarely accused of being it. They are perfectionists instead! 

Wise words. 

As you say, it was a very minor thing that was resolved within a day, but got a lot of airtime hence people are aware years later. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/lizzo-apology-postmates-twitter_n_5d825007e4b0957256afc453

13 hours ago, FrancisH said:

lot of people here struggling with the idea of a forum and differing opinions and that not everyone is buzzing for guns and roses.

was pretty clear to caveat my stuff with "in my opinion" but feel like that should go without saying on a forum.

“You don’t like the headliners? Here’s some stats about how big they are to convince you that you’re wrong”.

The main points that put me off the headliners are (a) it’s not very diverse and limited in genre, (b) all three of them have shit live reputations or are clearly past it.

We aren’t going to get anything like a show from Macca or Kendrick this year. It’s hard to get excited about it. Especially nothing like Billies.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

“You don’t like the headliners? Here’s some stats about how big they are to convince you that you’re wrong”.

The main points that put me off the headliners are (a) it’s not very diverse and limited in genre, (b) all three of them have shit live reputations or are clearly past it.

We aren’t going to get anything like a show from Macca or Kendrick this year. It’s hard to get excited about it. Especially nothing like Billies.

2 out of 3 I’d agree have a bad reputation live but Elton?? I am not a huge Elton fan by any means but I have had at least 10 people tell me who have seen him live recently say that he is great. 

Can I bust out my story again? I love a bit of namedropping . . . ok, here goes. I was working for Oxfam as a steward in 2019, checking passes etc in the camping bit of the SE corner - lots of performers, celebrities out there in campervans and RV’s, the majority of which I had absolutely no idea about (apart from Gojira, who I got very excited to say hello to 🤣) and I had the normal three shifts, ranging from nights to afternoons to early morning. Each shift I said hello to this woman coming through, she was really happy and positive and while didn’t appear to be drunk or high (unlike lots and lots of others) she was so smiley and pleasant to deal with, check and zap her wristband, in and out she goes. We had a couple of little chats, she recognised me after the first couple of times, and would say hi. On the Sunday morning she said she was performing that day, and I said good luck, have a great time! Didn’t know if she was a singer, a dancer, a DJ, not a clue who she was. 

finished my shifts, did all the Sunday things, drove home the next day, got the guardian for all the reviews and on the Tuesday I was sat down looking at the big page spreads, and I see the woman I said hi to. Hey! 

And who is it?

It’s only bloody Lizzo, innit! Not a hint of namedroppery or diva behaviour, she was absolutely lovely. I got sort of late doors starstruck, if there is such a thing  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Just now, TheDayman said:

"Your transgressions can become your greatest blessings, bitch"

Someday I'll hunt down the owner of the big chequered flag who was waving it in front of the sound desk cameras.....doesn't completely fuck up the footage but it's an irritant when wanting to re-run one of the all time great Glastonbury performances.

14 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

2 out of 3 I’d agree have a bad reputation live but Elton?? I am not a huge Elton fan by any means but I have had at least 10 people tell me who have seen him live recently say that he is great. 

Elton's alleged shit live reputation isn't coming from people who've seen him live, just from people trying to make a meme out of I'm Dill Danding.

22 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Honestly this is it summed up perfectly (minus Elton IMO, I think that has the potential to be v good)

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Someday I'll hunt down the owner of the big chequered flag who was waving it in front of the sound desk cameras.....doesn't completely fuck up the footage but it's an irritant when wanting to re-run one of the all time great Glastonbury performances.

Can we get the headliner arguments wrapped up before we start in on the ‘ban flags’ debate…

30 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

all three of them have shit live reputations or are clearly past it.

That’s an exaggeration at best, except for GnR.

Seems like you’re in ‘I don’t like them so I’ll argue they’re weak’ mode. 

Edited by kalifire
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Elton's alleged shit live reputation isn't coming from people who've seen him live, just from people trying to make a meme out of I'm Dill Danding.

Exactly and Paul McCartney’s performance at that wasn’t exactly fabulous either. One of the reasons I am so excited to see him is based on great live reviews from people I trust knowing I would never go to see him otherwise. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Sounds like someone’s fucking nan on the piano after a few too many sherrys at Xmas.