Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

The thing with Foos is they already did their big career-spanning greatest hits set and there's only been 2 festivals since then. The only difference now would be they'd obviously be without Taylor, who was a massive part of the band. Not saying it can never happen but feels far too soon.

Agree with the general sentiment regarding the Foo’s. It would be weirdly soon for ‘23 and still quite surprising for ‘24. Although it’ll be six years since they last played this year, it’s only three festivals ago and there are surely bands and acts backed up to play at this point. 

Looks like Arctics are locked in, then. It’s the third headliner which is unknown at this point. Could be GnR, but potentially a curveball like Eminem or Dua 🤞

Whilst I understand the vibe around the Foo's and it having only been a short time since they last played I would say 2 things:

1. They have at least released an album since they last played.

2. They were heavily rumored to be topping the bill of the the 2021 day festival that Glastonbury very nearly put on so given it wasn't deemed too soon then, why would it be now?

I've also been told that they will be there this year (however not in which capacity) but I'm taking that with a pinch of salt even though it's originated from a very credible place.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Whilst I understand the vibe around the Foo's and it having only been a short time since they last played I would say 2 things:

2. They were heavily rumored to be topping the bill of the the 2021 day festival that Glastonbury very nearly put on so given it wasn't deemed too soon then, why would it be now?

I've also been told that they will be there this year (however not in which capacity) but I'm taking that with a pinch of salt even though it's originated from a very credible place.

I could maybe see a John Peel secret set this year, like the Killers in 2017 but they'd need to be up against some big names around the rest of the site to prevent some serious crowding issues. They'd also need to keep it as quiet as possible, which in the age of social media and sharing information (regardless of credibility), is getting more and more difficult to achieve

23 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

So they might swap out a handful of songs for the new ones, it will still likely be the same set which is fresh in everyone's memory.

I don't think the day festival thing means anything, Glastonbury likely had to get someone they had a good relationship who'd be down to do it, in that instance Dave and co took the call or at least showed interest. Given the circumstances of just getting a festival going in June 2021 (I don't think any big festivals happened in the end anywhere) rebooking someone who'd done in recently isn't that surprising.

This is an efestival mindset though, I think it'd be a naff booking but the average goer would probs go taps aff

Edit: As others have said it was a festival in September, but still my general point still stands

Edited by scatteredscreens

Just now, Neil said:

if glastonbury tried to do a day festival it would spoil the relationship with the locals and cause them hassle going forwards.

We know they floated the idea for that Equinox thing that was slated for September 2021, they even put a permission request in that was approved IIRC.

For whatever reason it didn't go ahead but they certainly tried.

Just now, Hugh Jass II said:

We know they floated the idea for that Equinox thing that was slated for September 2021, they even put a permission request in that was approved IIRC.

For whatever reason it didn't go ahead but they certainly tried.

There was a healthy virtual efestival members attendance at the council meeting!

18 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I could maybe see a John Peel secret set this year, like the Killers in 2017 but they'd need to be up against some big names around the rest of the site to prevent some serious crowding issues. They'd also need to keep it as quiet as possible, which in the age of social media and sharing information (regardless of credibility), is getting more and more difficult to achieve

If it is a secret set they are of to a terrible start as it seems we already know about it

9 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

If it is a secret set they are of to a terrible start as it seems we already know about it

Has there actually been many "secret" sets that haven't been leaked in someway beforehand?

I remember way back when going to a Biffy set at the Park and they were handing out flyers for it if I remember correctly.

Obviously we had the sign painter leaking the George Ezra set at JP last year.

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Has there actually been many "secret" sets that haven't been leaked in someway beforehand?

I remember way back when going to a Biffy set at the Park and they were handing out flyers for it if I remember correctly.

Obviously we had the sign painter leaking the George Ezra set at JP last year.

I don't think anyone knew about the Idles secret set last year. At least I didn't hear anyone mention it

3 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

It really is about time Foo Fighters headline Download. 

Andy actually sounded like he was ready to breathe a bit more fresh air into Download going forward in a recent interview. Fresh air is an odd term when talking about bands like Foo Fighters, but this is Download, they've finally got BMTH headlining who are long overdue and the first new headliner in 6 years. Maybe just maybe Foos will show up in the future, he did mention them specifically in a shortlist. 

Edited by BenG92

Secret sets featuring any popular act are a big mistake for a sizeable festival. They’re not going to be secret for long and only serve to create huge crowd bottlenecks for stages where the sound is dodgy at best. 50% of the crowd will have a lame experience. 

4 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Secret sets featuring any popular act are a big mistake for a sizeable festival. They’re not going to be secret for long and only serve to create huge crowd bottlenecks for stages where the sound is dodgy at best. 50% of the crowd will have a lame experience. 

They don't seem to have hurt glastonbury? Not ideal for everyone sure but amazing for those who get in. Its better than the acts not playing at all e.g. in 2017 Killers were never going to play as a sub but some people go to see them in the JP - better than nothing

1 minute ago, gfa said:

They don't seem to have hurt glastonbury? Not ideal for everyone sure but amazing for those who get in. Its better than the acts not playing at all e.g. in 2017 Killers were never going to play as a sub but some people go to see them in the JP - better than nothing

Still the best atmosphere I’ve ever been a part of. Amazing 

• Upvote 1