Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

Secret Sets might become a thing of the past given there was issues raised by the council following the usual review of the festival due to acts being placed on stages considered too small for the audience which was expected to attend.

I know this isn't specifically a secret sets related thing but given wrists were slapped it might signal a change of course in that regard.

Edited by JoeyT

6 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I still don't see the Foos being rebooked any time soon for a few reasons.

Firstly, would they be ready? Only Grohl and the others know for sure but 23 certainly feels too soon, 24? Perhaps but no guarantees.

Secondly, from the festival's point of view it would it be dreadfully uninspired booking. 2024 would only be three festivals between headlining appearances and take the Taylor stuff out of the equation it would be the exact same set. There's been no material released then that has made much of an impact anywhere so it'll be the same as last time with Dave yelling "this one's for Taylor!!" over and over again.

Thirdly, if they were looking to do a big UK festival why Glastonbury again? There's a myth that Grohl has this great relationship with the festival, but in reality the Foos have played twice - once in the 90's and 17 when they headlined. Yeah they probably enjoyed it but it's hardly Chris Martin is it? Reading has always been the Foos spiritual home and if they were back I'd fancy them to look there first.

Think we are only talking about them in contention to 2024 because they are not touring in 2023. The main rumours are that the tour was looked at for 2023 but isn’t happening, and is happening in 2024 instead.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Think we are only talking about them in contention to 2024 because they are not touring in 2023. The main rumours are that the tour was looked at for 2023 but isn’t happening, and is happening in 2024 instead.

They may well play gigs in 2024 but personally I don’t see them at Glastonbury.

But as always with these things, we shall see in time.

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

They may well play gigs in 2024 but personally I don’t see them at Glastonbury.

But as always with these things, we shall see in time.

To people who attend glastonbury every year a 5 year gap feels like nothing. But I reckon the number of people who attended in 2017 who will have a ticket in 2024 will be very low.

I went in 2017 but most of my current Glasto group didn’t start attending until 2019.

Edited by Matt42

35 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

To people who attend glastonbury every year a 5 year gap feels like nothing. But I reckon the number of people who attended in 2017 who will have a ticket in 2024 will be very low.

I went in 2017 but most of my current Glasto group didn’t start attending until 2019.

Using that logic you would just end up with the same few headliners on a rotating cycle.

This is Glastonbury, not Download.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Surely this makes your group a poor way to judge attendance then?

I thought like 70% of people have been at least once before.

Pandemic could have caused some long time glasto goers to stop going but i can't say i've heard this e.g. losing momentum of going every year

• Upvote 1

Other thing about having the Foos back so soon is that (obviously before Taylor) they played in the UK all the time. Them doing GF was an exercise in ticking a massive gig off, but those who want to see them have been able to in either a big field or stadium most summers for the last decade or so.

It’s not like their shows are so massively rare that Glastonbury needs them back at the first opportunity.

Edited by Hugh Jass II

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The current JP set up for secret sets works just fine, it's a confined area that they can easily control how many people enter and can close the field when it gets too busy.

Whenever there has been talk of 2022 having crowd problems I've always been one to say that I didn't encounter any that were scary to me personally, unlike those I experienced before the superfence however JP was the place I would dispute your claim about the festival easily controlling people, not without improving their staff skill levels and allocations. 

I made the mistake of entering from the bottom to go and see Self Esteem at the point when the previous act had just finished and found myself in that position where you can't swim against their tide, so just find an island.  There were a couple of stewards there and we just waited it out in their vicinity, but I was in no doubt that they were more fresh faced than the old school assertive folks that you knew could take charge of most situations they would encounter.  After that I ensured that when I went into and out of JP I did it from the top side.

11 minutes ago, Freddyflintstonree said:

Interesting write up, with what I thought was a particularly interesting initial framing of Fred Again.. (re: the whole leg up thing). 

BBC News - Sound Of 2023: Fred Again's emotive electronica earns second place
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64051684

Noticed it name drops Emily as someone saying he will become huge in 2023 - quick google of 'Emily Eavis Fred Again' comes up with no results.

9 hours ago, clarkete said:

I made the mistake of entering from the bottom to go and see Self Esteem at the point when the previous act had just finished

Anyone who’s anyone was clearly watching Holly Humberstone before Self Esteem… now I don’t know why they left afterwards 🤔

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Secret Sets might become a thing of the past given there was issues raised by the council following the usual review of the festival due to acts being placed on stages considered too small for the audience which was expected to attend.

I know this isn't specifically a secret sets related thing but given wrists were slapped it might signal a change of course in that regard.

The biggest problems were at Sugababes, TLC and Wet Leg, none of which were secret sets...

1 minute ago, GrumpyRaver said:

The biggest problems were at Sugababes, TLC and Wet Leg, none of which were secret sets...

I was going to say the same.  The crowd control issues referenced in the council report were these 3, so inappropriate scheduling and poor/inexperienced marshalling rather than secret sets.

30 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I was going to say the same.  The crowd control issues referenced in the council report were these 3, so inappropriate scheduling and poor/inexperienced marshalling rather than secret sets.

Said before that when they anticipate it being busy it's pretty simple (with proper stewarding) to implement a one way system at the Park. You can ferry folk up the side and enter through the top near Stonebridge and have them exiting out the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Said before that when they anticipate it being busy it's pretty simple (with proper stewarding) to implement a one way system at the Park. You can ferry folk up the side and enter through the top near Stonebridge and have them exiting out the bottom.

In theory yes.  With thousands of drunk/high, sometimes belligerent festival goers in the mix it's chaos.

I was at the Sugababes/Avalon set and it was clear they had a sound stewarding plan and did their level best to execute it.  However the actions of some of the punters was beyond belief.  Surging against and pushing past the lines of stewards, climbing over hedges and vehicles on the perimeter to get in, barging others in the crowd out of the way, even shoving some people over to the ground.  The worst behaviour I've seen at Glasto by a mile.  With arseholes like that in the mix, nothing is simple.

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

It felt to me that Park really would benefit from another entrance, you currently can only enter the whole area from one side of the stage

8 minutes ago, gfa said:

It felt to me that Park really would benefit from another entrance, you currently can only enter the whole area from one side of the stage

I suppose because of where the Park is with the hill at the top and crew and camping down either side it's pretty difficult to reconfigure that whole area.

11 hours ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

Wait a minute.

Change the letter S in the word SOON to F 

and then change the letter N to the letter S

SOON begat FOOS

Foo Fighters confirmed for this year!

Any you can rearrange the words to spell out h-a-r-r-y s-t-y-l-e-s from her message, so there's two confirmations!

2 hours ago, mjfiddy said:

Anyone who’s anyone was clearly watching Holly Humberstone before Self Esteem… now I don’t know why they left afterwards 🤔

That's a fair point, but the surge of folks leaving were all young 'uns - noticeably younger than Self Esteem fans.