Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, wro_lap said:

I wasn't at Billie but I watched her Glastonbury and Coachella sets both on TV and they pretty much looked identical, and it was hard to get the feeling that the Glastonbury set was special.

Kendrick got it. He knew this was one of the biggest moments of his career. Every second was spent well, every single move was so well thought out. Unbelievable piece of drama

Festival billie and touring billie is always the same, it's never changed up 

I totally agree with the kendrick remarks!

1 minute ago, clasher said:

What is this, a respectful debate and a civilized exchange of different opinions? No one yet accused of being a tory, close to no GnR bashing in the last couple of pages? This place is really going to shit.

giphy.gif

great to see this thread has settled down over the last week 🙂 

• Upvote 1

Just now, clasher said:

Yep. Although I'm sure there's still plenty of collective meltdowns in store for us before we start packing our camping stuff 😁

yep the weather thread is yet to kick off 🙂 but I think this thread is pretty done now in terms of acceptance .... although id love some changes to the rumoured trio ... ive accepted theres buggar all chance of it happening now 

2 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

yep the weather thread is yet to kick off 🙂 but I think this thread is pretty done now in terms of acceptance .... although id love some changes to the rumoured trio ... ive accepted theres buggar all chance of it happening now 

There's absolutely no need for changes for this to self-combust and we're gonna have sun and 25 degrees anyway 😎

The only act I’ve literally heard of taking a left-field direction to their Glasto set is Bruce. (Noting that’s only second hand… I wasn’t there).

Most acts turn up and play their touring show and modify the setlist a bit to play the hits. I really don’t know what people mean when they say “doing something unique for Glasto”. Can someone give me an example of a headliner that did something completely unexpected with their headline set?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

The only act I’ve literally heard of taking a left-field direction to their Glasto set is Bruce. (Noting that’s only second hand… I wasn’t there).

Most acts turn up and play their touring show and modify the setlist a bit to play the hits. I really don’t know what people mean when they say “doing something unique for Glasto”. Can someone give me an example of a headliner that did something completely unexpected with their headline set?

To be fair Bruce can change up a huge amount of his set any given night. He doesn't really have a general one.

U2 changed theirs up hugely vs their tour. Focused on older stuff vs newer stuff, though a couple of the lucky american audiences got the Glasto set as a sort of warm up

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 hours ago, AnonAnon said:

We could be talking about her as a Kate Bush in a few years.  

Do you really think this? Not wishing to appear confrontational, and fully aware I’m a person of perhaps an older generation..... but to me, Billie is a talented performer, but sadly one who mimes most of her act...... and Kate Bush is...... well, she’s Kate Bush. This, to me, is hyperbole beyond belief. It’s like comparing Kendrick to Bowie.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Bowie did a greatest hits set when he usually toured his albums and played his new stuff 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I was there, and Bruce played his touring set, inasmuch as that has some flexibility from night to night. He often opens with a song special to the location, and in this case it was Joe Strummer's Coma Girl which is about the festival. But other than that it was business as usual. I am a fan, but I think this was a mistake. I mean.... Outlaw Pete ffs?!

11 hours ago, AnonAnon said:

Yeah, namely Billie and Stormzy had about an hour of recorded material between them and, as big as they are, and I do think Billie in particular is legitimately an incredibly talented singer and writer in her genre, it just felt 'too soon'.  

Both Kendrick and Billie's sets felt 'short' last year, with weak spots because a larger % of the set is taken up with 'album filler' or 'deep cuts' than knock out tracks.  

That's no sleight on them, I have  records by each of them, it's just a tall ask.  There are very few artists in history who could fill what is traditionally a two/three hour slot with their first two albums of material.  Bob Dylan would've done an hour of niche folk covers and then admittedly pretty decent hour of his early songs, as an example.

It's why I sort of believe you need at least 5 maybe even 6 albums to headline the pyramid.  At least that way you're guaranteed between 10-20  A grade songs per set. 

I was just making a point that there's a very obvious reason Kendrick, Stormzy and Billie bookings got more agro on social media than other white male bands might, I wasn't even really commenting on this years apparent trio, and I got a load of downvotes for it lol.

As for the rest of that take, an hour of recorded material between them? Really?

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Radiohead played pretty much a greatest hits in 2017 

39 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Radiohead played pretty much a greatest hits in 2017 

Exactly - people talk about headline sets as if they will be something more than that. It will be what the artist does 90% of the time. Their current show with a few more hits thrown in.

Doing something special for glastonbury is a bit of a nothing point. I don’t know what people mean. You compare their usual sets to their glastonbury set and it’s pretty much the same set aside from maybe one or two more hits than usual.

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I was there, and Bruce played his touring set, inasmuch as that has some flexibility from night to night. He often opens with a song special to the location, and in this case it was Joe Strummer's Coma Girl which is about the festival. But other than that it was business as usual. I am a fan, but I think this was a mistake. I mean.... Outlaw Pete ffs?!

Always seemed to be in a minority on this, but I loved Outlaw Pete