2024 Headliners

18 minutes ago, -TLR- said:

ONCE AGAIN - choosing to use it is not the point.

being forced to pay for it is.

if it was a subscription service - then great no problem, i choose not to pay, i don't watch, wonderful.

Saying "once again" in capitals doesn't make you any less wrong. Just stop using the service and cancel your TV licence. You are absolutely not obliged to use the service or pay for it.

You will however miss out on some very good output. One example is the recent documentary by Hannah Fry about cancer, in which I learned that very few people actually benefit from chemotherapy. That would not have been made by itv/Netflix etc. There are many more examples, but public service broadcasting is extremely valuable and we might not see it's worth until it is gone.

1 minute ago, km9 said:

There are many more examples, but public service broadcasting is extremely valuable and we might not see it's worth until it is gone.

Sorry to continue veering off topic but this is a very important point. For me as a non-British person living in Britain the NHS and the BBC are absolutely the best of Britain. Sadly the Tories started a culture war against them and is absolutely determined to destroy them and it is only when they are gone that people will realise their worth.

Such a shame that so many people fall for the rubbish about them that gets spouted. Yes every large organisation will have examples of things you don't like and a certain percentage of waste but their output is remarkable. Fight for improvements to it by all means but fighting for it to disappear is actively fighting for poorer people in society to have reduced access to culture and the disparity between what the rich and the poor can afford is already at an all time high.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 11

21 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes, I remember talking  with a Sunday ticket holder in 2022 pre festival and they weren’t too happy about missing Macca, they had thought he would definitely be the Sunday headliner. Coldplay would be the Sunday choice with Stevie Wonder not booked .

On the surface I’d like to have Coldplay on the Sunday. But OTOH it would entirely screw The National over if they’re the Sunday Night Other headliner. They’d be better off going against SZA (and selfishly it would be less of a clash for me).

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Sorry to continue veering off topic but this is a very important point. For me as a non-British person living in Britain the NHS and the BBC are absolutely the best of Britain. Sadly the Tories started a culture war against them and is absolutely determined to destroy them and it is only when they are gone that people will realise their worth.

Such a shame that so many people fall for the rubbish about them that gets spouted. Yes every large organisation will have examples of things you don't like and a certain percentage of waste but their output is remarkable. Fight for improvements to it by all means but fighting for it to disappear is actively fighting for poorer people in society to have reduced access to culture and the disparity between what the rich and the poor can afford is already at an all time high.

Out of upvotes but that is a brilliant insight.

2 hours ago, -TLR- said:

ONCE AGAIN - choosing to use it is not the point.

being forced to pay for it is.

if it was a subscription service - then great no problem, i choose not to pay, i don't watch, wonderful.

You don't have to pay it, you're welcome to cancel your direct debit or whatever anytime. Problem is you like to use the service, so expect a knock, or letter through your door from Postman Pat, with a summons or penalty charge if you keep using the service without paying. Do you think you should be able to use BBC services for free?

Edited by Johnnyseven

1 hour ago, DareToDibble said:

Coldplay Sunday definitely feels about right. Having said that, I’d be up for them being my first headliner of this years festival!

Hoping for the Friday so I either have a non Pyramid headliner Sunday or so I can get off early

2 hours ago, km9 said:

there are many more examples, but public service broadcasting is extremely valuable and we might not see it's worth until it is gone.

What stage are public service broadcasting going to be on and where have to rumours they are splitting up come from?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Do you think you should be able to use BBC services for free?

ummm... i'm pretty sure i said the exact opposite:

"if it was a subscription service - then great no problem, i choose not to pay, i don't watch, wonderful. "

30 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

His point is pretty obvious (I don't necessarily agree). You have to pay a license fee to the BBC even if you want to watch 0 BBC and just watch other channels live.

Who pays for the infrastructure to broadcast those other live channels to your TV set?

Edited by Johnnyseven

44 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Im definitely wanting Fri ... last time I was shattered by the time they played mud didnt help either 

Fully agree! Last time was one of the few headliners where I genuinely was really sad for it to be over (already) when they started Up&Up

How sure are we about SZA headlining the Pyramid? If I'm correct we only have 1 source pretending this, right?

I'm nog buying it. She has had a LOT of streams recently, but I suppose the vast majority of them comes from the US. She's really not well known in UK or Europe by the average music lover. Just look at the other festivals she's playing in Europe this summer: small ones (We Love Green, Primavera Porto) or mid-sized (Primavera Barcelona). Primavera festivals target a specific market of alternative music fans, a totally different approach than Glasto that targets a way bigger, more diverse audience. 

Not only is she as a person/artist completely unknown to the average Brit/European, even her songs with >1 billion streams didn't have a lot of airplay on radio stations etc. (I'm Belgian, maybe in the UK she had more airplay).

She has 0 festival anthems. Looking at the previous years, that 's a big box to check to headline the Pyramid. Even Lana, who is also really big in terms of streaming and who is headlining other big European festivals, played the Other last year. And on top: for what I know SZA doesn't have a stunning live reputation. 

So... I really doubt Emily has booked het for Pyramid closing act. Would be a perfect Other headliner, tho. And I'd take her over other rumours as KoL any day. But no, as long as there's no announcement, I don't believe this rumour. Field would be historically empty & BBC won't have a lot of viewers.

Edited by RutgerGM
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RutgerGM said:

(I'm Belgian, maybe in the UK she had more airplay).

She has lots of radio play on BBC Radio 1, Capital and the like. 

4 minutes ago, RutgerGM said:

And on top: for what I know SZA doesn't have a stunning live reputation. 

Her last tour was truly amazing visually. To anyone doubting that, search it up on YouTube

4 minutes ago, RutgerGM said:

How sure are we about SZA headlining the Pyramid? If I'm correct we only have 1 source pretending this, right?

I'm nog buying it. She has had a LOT of streams recently, but I suppose the vast majority of them comes from the US. She's really not well known in UK or Europe by the average music lover. Just look at the other festivals she's playing in Europe this summer: small ones (We Love Green, Primavera Porto) or mid-sized (Primavera Barcelona). Primavera festivals target a specific market of alternative music fans, a totally different approach than Glasto that targets a way bigger, more diverse audience. 

Not only is she as a person/artist completely unknown to the average Brit/European, even her songs with >1 billion streams didn't have a lot of airplay on radio stations etc. (I'm Belgian, maybe in the UK she had more airplay).

She has 0 festival anthems. Looking at the previous years, that 's a big box to check to headline the Pyramid. Even Lana, who is also really big in terms of streaming and who is headlining other big European festivals, played the Other last year. And on top: for what I know SZA doesn't have a stunning live reputation. 

So... I really doubt Emily has booked het for Pyramid closing act. Would be a perfect Other headliner, tho. And I'd take her over other rumours as KoL any day. But no, as long as there's no announcement, I don't believe this rumour. Field would be historically empty & BBC won't have a lot of viewers.

Some fair points here - I still think it was a farce that Lana wasn't headlining the pyramid when the female act dropped out last year - she was absolutely able to. 

I think you are slightly underestimating how well known SZA is, and primavera Barcelona has a bigger capacity than Leeds, headlining it is a pretty big deal. 

However I do agree, the limited evidence is not particularly compelling, if we are going off of BST acts we have a few to chose from.

11 minutes ago, RutgerGM said:

Fantastic post mate, youre very welcome here.

Its a huge stretch for the fest, but the rewards outweigh the risks given SZA seems at least 3rd choice now.

Edited by Wooderson