2023 Ticket Price Confirmed

Dukeicon

8 minutes ago, Mardy said:

The price rise is fine if you’d go and see those arena sized acts at £100+ pop a throw on their own turf/doing their own show. I tend not to, just wouldn’t bother, they don’t really interest me, generally. Eminem/G&R/Fleetwood Mac can absolutely do one, wouldn’t be near any of them.  And I’ve got to be honest, while I had fun this year, musically, very little floated my boat. Only things really grabbed me were PSB, Olivia Rodrigo and Kacey Musgraves. If I’m paying best part of a grand all in for the 5 days, I’d need more than that. 

Reckon I’m going to go for a ticket next month, and then if I’m lucky enough to get one, re-assess once the lineup gets turned up. Lizzo and Taylor Swift could swing it for me. without those, probably harder and harder to justify. Love the place, but all that money to sit in a field while some music plays in the background feels a bit steep. 

As it goes, based on recent years experience, I feel like I’d pay Glastonbury level money for EOTR and EOTR level money for Glastonbury. 

I think as you do more and more festivals, they become worse and worse value. I'm fairly new to it vs a lot on here so still get to see tons of new acts. E.g. I saw Caribou for instance for the first time who i bet most on here have had ample opportunities to see (and i did see them again in August anyway!).

Obviously new acts come through but theres still tons of repeat bookings in the bigger mainstage slots - which is completely fine

Late night is where the biggest new artist gains to my ticklist are anyway

17 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

Gutted to admit it but my Glastonbury days are probably over, I just can’t justify the cost. It’s about a 350% rise since my first one, wish I could say the same about me wages.. 

Not gonna lie, does leave a bit of a sour taste. I’ve had some of the best times of my life at Glastonbury. I liked the inclusivity of the place, it was somewhere I’ve felt more at ease than I ever have in the real world, somewhere I felt like I could belong without feeling like an outcast. I’ve felt a connection. People talk about the “Glastonbury spirit” but it’s not something I’ve ever been able to put into words. I’m not even a spiritual person or anything but as I sure so many people would agree, there’s something about the place. 

I’ve read enough comments - not so much here, but plenty elsewhere about how it wasn’t the same when the super fence went up. I don’t know, my first one was the super fence’s first one so it’s all I’ve known but in the 7 festivals in 14 years I managed, I’ve seen it expand, seen Lost Vagueness go and the Park, Shangri-La and Woodsies pop up out of nowhere. I’ve always enjoyed reading about other people’s experiences at Glastonbury but at the same time I’ve wondered if there was a bit of gatekeeping at play.

I mean I hate gatekeeping, it’s bollocks. Yes, the demographic has changed over the years, but so what, nobody has any more or less right to be there than anyone else. People are going to go for different reasons and look to get different things out of it. Or even get things out of it they weren’t necessarily looking for, whatever. I don’t know. My last one was 2016 and I really didn’t want that to be my last one… involved in a hit and run a week and half before so could hardly walk in the swamp, waking up on the Friday morning to find out we’d shafted ourselves again.. wife’s first and only Glastonbury, not had anything like the magical experiences I’ve had over the years. 

I say I hate gatekeeping but this kinda feels like the opposite to me. Yeah it’s always been a bit middle class and yes, I do have a bit of a working class chip on my shoulder. I’ll treasure my memories but I don’t think it’s somewhere I can belong anymore.

Trouble is if the working class people who do attend have this attitude and stop going the situation gets worse, this is a big price hike but lets put it into context with a real working class leisure cost. The price of a league one football game is around £20, go to 20 games and you have spent £400 for 30 hours entertainment ( and you still have the added transport, food and drink costs). £350 at Glastonbury gives you at least as much entertainment  for less cost so is it really that unaffordable? Notice I didn't use premiership games as a comparison, are they now middle class? They are certainly expensive.

9 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Trouble is if the working class people who do attend have this attitude and stop going the situation gets worse, this is a big price hike but lets put it into context with a real working class leisure cost. The price of a league one football game is around £20, go to 20 games and you have spent £400 for 30 hours entertainment ( and you still have the added transport, food and drink costs). £350 at Glastonbury gives you at least as much entertainment  for less cost so is it really that unaffordable? Notice I didn't use premiership games as a comparison, are they now middle class? They are certainly expensive.

Its not only £350 though is it. Its the cost of travel, food, drinks and other expenses. It was a £700+ cost for the weekend before this increase. 

Edited by Nestacres

3 minutes ago, Nestacres said:

Its not only £350 though is it. Its the cost of travel, food, drinks and other expenses. It was a £700+ cost for the weekend before this increase. 

Not for me, you can take your own food and drink if you are on a budget, yes there are travel costs but there would be for someone attending football 20 times, the only real difference is the fact that Glasto is a lump sum and so is seen as more expensive, if you can save £10 a week you can afford Glastonbury.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:03 PM, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Ticket - £335 

Minimum Wage - £10.90

30.7 hours

Where did you get £10.90 from? That's a decent pay rise for me. It may well be time for me to leave this party, but I'll do tday and try to save the balance, but I do have/want a life outside of 1 festival 

7 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Not for me, you can take your own food and drink if you are on a budget, yes there are travel costs but there would be for someone attending football 20 times, the only real difference is the fact that Glasto is a lump sum and so is seen as more expensive, if you can save £10 a week you can afford Glastonbury.

Well thats good for you but some people might not want to do that. I live within walking distanc eof my lcoal premier league club where I have a season ticket so have now travel costs and can survive 2 hours without food and drink. Glastonbury seems more expensive becasue it is. 

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

Perfectly reasonable? On what planet?

Sadly controversial, although I have no idea why, as it's plain as day that there are very few black people at Glastonbury (excluding performers).

I'd be amazed if I saw more than a couple of hundred this year and that's possibly an exaggeration.

22 minutes ago, clarkete said:

The year before the fence appeared was a great one, but also awful as the crowds in some areas were much more dangerous in my experience than anything this year (that's covered in the 50th anniversary doc).

That was also true for safety levels as a whole - there were less coppers, so more folks breaking the law openly and occasionally security responding heavy handedly (I vividly recall seeing a bunch of them getting out of a land rover with pickaxe handles). This was reflected in occasional serious incidents, which are a rarity these days, even with increased coverage. 

The other big change of course was the year the travellers were no longer given space, but that was also due to well-documented reasons. 

In both cases - if the changes didn't happen Mendip would have likely prevented it from continuing. 

Ah the Bowie year…

Like I say super fence was all I knew so if the festival did suffer at all for it I’m buggered if I know how. Half the time you’re nowhere near it anyway so can forget it’s there. Aye, appreciate the necessity of it. 2002 was my first Glastonbury but third festival after a couple of Leeds. Was at Leeds for a couple of the riots, obviously not participating… eh never gonna know, but I think going to a couple of Leeds first made Glastonbury look more safe and civilised. Well it did to a 19 year old lad from Hull anyway..

15 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It’d be nice to be able to afford to go to 20 football matches a season but as a Hull City fan maybe it’s a blessing that I can’t..

I could maybe just about make it work if I tightened me belt, made sacrifices here and there. It’d be a struggle and a stress but I’m not sure it’ll be worth it, especially with how fucked everything’s going. 

1 minute ago, RichardWaller said:

Ah the Bowie year…

Like I say super fence was all I knew so if the festival did suffer at all for it I’m buggered if I know how. Half the time you’re nowhere near it anyway so can forget it’s there. Aye, appreciate the necessity of it. 2002 was my first Glastonbury but third festival after a couple of Leeds. Was at Leeds for a couple of the riots, obviously not participating… eh never gonna know, but I think going to a couple of Leeds first made Glastonbury look more safe and civilised. Well it did to a 19 year old lad from Hull anyway..

It’d be nice to be able to afford to go to 20 football matches a season but as a Hull City fan maybe it’s a blessing that I can’t..

I could maybe just about make it work if I tightened me belt, made sacrifices here and there. It’d be a struggle and a stress but I’m not sure it’ll be worth it, especially with how fucked everything’s going. 

Yeah, it's certainly expensive, but then it's a much bigger event than many years ago, in terms of land, stages, complexity etc

Another thing they touch on in the anniversary doc is that for the traveller community they (as with any community) had a majority who were great but a minority who weren't.

That's true of those who came through the fence from two perspectives - firstly not everyone who didn't pay was a worthy case in need of charity - some of course would have been middle class folks who simply chose not to help the festival and charities, secondly if you were thinking of going to a festival to nick stuff, then far easier and more cost effective to do so if you haven't had to pee about getting a ticket and shell out for it too. 

10 minutes ago, spg said:

Where did you get £10.90 from? That's a decent pay rise for me. It may well be time for me to leave this party, but I'll do tday and try to save the balance, but I do have/want a life outside of 1 festival 

I looked at this last night, it's actually a bit convoluted to work out due to new age brackets over time meaning you can't just compare the headline rate, because that applies only to 25+ and that bracket has only been around for 5 years. 

You also have to not get stuck by the difference between minimum wage, National Living Wage and the Real Living Wage. 

Using the 21+ age bracket as a direct year on year comparison the number of hours needed to work at the minimum/living wage is:

1999 23.1

2000 23.5

2002 23.1

2003 23.3

2004 23.1

2005 24.8

2007 26.3

2008 27.1

2009 30.2

2010 31.2

2011 32.1

2013 32.5

2014 32.3

2015 33.6

2016 32.8

2017 33.8

2019 32.2

2020 32.3

2022 31.0

2023* 36.5

2023* 32.5

NOTE: National Living wage(NLW) rates for 2023 haven't been set yet. So two figures here, the first uses the 2022 rate for 21+ (£9.18/hr), second uses the projected 2023 rate for 25+ (£10.32). NLW earners will be paying the ticket balance before any 2023 increases take effect. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

44 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

BBC carrying a story about it now with one of the staff who's been going / working there since 89 defending the increase.

Well yeah, of course theyre defending it. Cause they likely have quite a bit of insight. It probably couldve been even worse than what it ended up at. Since theyre not for profit and they cut into their reserves they have to do something. This year we only felt the pinch at the traders  and food stalls ticking up prices that we assumed would be there. Now the festival gets its chance. If everyone wants this to go back to 1999 with 2 stages and some djs at night so it can be £100 for 5 days then go find a new festival.

And again, you cant imagine how much it would cost if they paid artists their proper rates. 

13 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I looked at this last night, it's actually a bit convoluted to work out due to new age brackets over time meaning you can't just compare the headline rate, because that applies only to 25+ and that bracket has only been around for 5 years. 

You also have to not get stuck by the difference between minimum wage, National Living Wage and the Real Living Wage. 

Using the 21+ age bracket as a direct year on year comparison the number of hours needed to work at the minimum/living wage is:

1999 23.1

2000 23.5

2002 23.1

2003 23.3

2004 23.1

2005 24.8

2007 26.3

2008 27.1

2009 30.2

2010 31.2

2011 32.1

2013 32.5

2014 32.3

2015 33.6

2016 32.8

2017 33.8

2019 32.2

2020 32.3

2022 31.0

2023* 36.5

2023* 32.5

NOTE: National Living wage(NLW) rates for 2023 haven't been set yet. So two figures here, the first uses the 2022 rate for 21+ (£9.18/hr), second uses the projected 2023 rate for 25+ (£10.32). NLW earners will be paying the ticket balance before any 2023 increases take effect. 

Great stats. You really should be chancellor not that stupid (h)unt who has just taken over. 

48 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Sadly controversial, although I have no idea why, as it's plain as day that there are very few black people at Glastonbury (excluding performers).

I'd be amazed if I saw more than a couple of hundred this year and that's possibly an exaggeration.

Not limitted to black people I would say. Indian, chinese and ethnic minorities in general are very much a minority.

• Upvote 1

When do they make the information re capacity/the amount of tickets sold available? interested to find out if they’ll actually lower the amount of tickets sold this year after the concerns raised from the last festival (and if that in turn has anything at all to do with the price increase)

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

Not sure this is a fair comparison. 30 hours of match time but its 20 days out really. Glastonbury is a lot of entertainment but crammed into 5 days - holiday is the comparison to make not a football match every other weekend.

1 hour ago, gfa said:

I think as you do more and more festivals, they become worse and worse value. I'm fairly new to it vs a lot on here so still get to see tons of new acts. E.g. I saw Caribou for instance for the first time who i bet most on here have had ample opportunities to see (and i did see them again in August anyway!).

This is how I’m feeling right now. I’ve missed one festival in close to 20 years and I’m now struggling to justify the cost to myself. I’ve seen every act I would ever want to see on that stage, explored every nook and cranny if an ever evolving site and had some of the best times of my life on that farm.

Part of me feels done now though, there’s no-one left for me to see, no big ambitions left to fulfill at the festival (Kendrick was the last one). It’s now a very expensive retreading of old ground, and whilst that ground is fantastic it’s not worth the cost anymore. I no longer feel like I need to go every year and I’m happy right now to drop down to going every 2-3 years.

I’ll try this year because Mrs J is desperate to go, but then that might be me stepping back for a year or two. 

If we don’t get a ticket I’m going to take the kids to Camp Bestival.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

This is how I’m feeling right now. I’ve missed one festival in close to 20 years and I’m now struggling to justify the cost to myself. I’ve seen every act I would ever want to see on that stage, explored every nook and cranny if an ever evolving site and had some of the best times of my life on that farm.

Part of me feels done now though, there’s no-one left for me to see, no big ambitions left to fulfill at the festival (Kendrick was the last one). It’s now a very expensive retreading of old ground, and whilst that ground is fantastic it’s not worth the cost anymore. I no longer feel like I need to go every year and I’m happy right now to drop down to going every 2-3 years.

I’ll try this year because Mrs J is desperate to go, but then that might be me stepping back for a year or two. 

If we don’t get a ticket I’m going to take the kids to Camp Bestival.

That's a really good post, HJ, managed to articulate something I was feeling, but unable to put into words. Nice one.