Arctic Monkeys

FloorFiller

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass II said:

The more I think about it the more I realise how incredible a piece of trolling it is to sell half a million stadium tickets then two weeks later drop a lounge album with no choruses.

It's a good album, but a stadium album it is certainly not.

2/3rds of the set list will still be the classics. A third alone at the moment is AM. They still play what people want usually. People wanting Mardy Bum need to get a grip though imo.

37 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

2/3rds of the set list will still be the classics. A third alone at the moment is AM. They still play what people want usually. People wanting Mardy Bum need to get a grip though imo.

Would get a better crowd response than There'd better be a mirrorball.

21 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Would get a better crowd response than There'd better be a mirrorball.

Don’t doubt it for a second. They play way better songs from the first album anyway. They’re a band that evolves and always have been. People can either not got see them or just ignore the 4 or 5 The car songs on the setlist and enjoy basically all their most played on Spotify out with that 

To be fair this opens up a separate question around what you want when you see any band. Do you want the latest stuff? The classic stuff? Deep cuts and rarities?

Obviously it depends on who you’re seeing, for instance I can’t imagine many people watching the Stones want much from the 90’s onwards.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

To be fair this opens up a separate question around what you want when you see any band. Do you want the latest stuff? The classic stuff? Deep cuts and rarities?

Obviously it depends on who you’re seeing, for instance I can’t imagine many people watching the Stones want much from the 90’s onwards.

See for me, this is where the price of the ticket comes into it. If I’m paying £85+ just for the ticket, I want a singalong and a good time to justify it. 

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Whatever I like. For AM, i want all the old stuff but then for some artists e.g. say the strokes i'd be happy with a load of the new abnormal.

Generally its based on the tour anyway - this is the album's tour and i get that but then like 2024 summer if they are still about a greatest hits type set would be awesome

5 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Came here to drop this blood in the water. 

"No longer are Arctic Monkeys doing a theatrical interpretation of a thing, they're now just doing... the thing."

He's right, you know. 

Very good quote that.

Agree with him about the singing too. The way Turner tries to be a crooner in here sometimes sounds… comical.

5 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Most artists I would say a mix of all 3 - some new stuff, some hits, and one or two more obscure ones. If I'm intensely into some bands or have seen them more than 5/6 times, I would want a few more deep cuts to keep it interesting.

If by contrast it's my first time seeing an act, I'm content with starting at the hits.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:33 PM, BenG92 said:

Came here to drop this blood in the water. 

"No longer are Arctic Monkeys doing a theatrical interpretation of a thing, they're now just doing... the thing."

He's right, you know. 

I've listened to it now around 10 times through and honestly, I couldn't agree more with this review.  The melodies just aren't there, the lyrics aren't up to his usual standard of wit and all the smart production and clever musical flourishes in the world can't cover that up.  It's a turkey.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:04 PM, Hugh Jass II said:

If it's a band I really love and I've bought a ticket to see them, then I don't massively care.  Example, Doves.  One of my favourite bands ever and I love everything they've done so they could play literally anything from their back catalogue and I'd lap it up.

Festival sets though - play the hits.  Play the hits, all the hits and nothing but the hits.  You're there to please a mixed crowd so FOR GODS SAKE PLAY THE HITS.

On 10/25/2022 at 1:04 PM, Hugh Jass II said:

I watched Radiohead's 97 Pyramid set last night. That. I want that.

On 10/24/2022 at 9:52 AM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Radiohead at Glastonbury is likely as hit-friendly a set as you could hope to get.

AC/DC are best for that , maybe one or two off the new album whatever it is then the rest of it  all the classics mainly from

Back in Black, Highway to Hell, , Let There Be Rock 

29 minutes ago, ivan said:

AC/DC are best for that , maybe one or two off the new album whatever it is then the rest of it  all the classics mainly from

PSB did a complete set of hits this year, but then maybe all their tunes are hits.

Much as I enjoyed it, I was hoping they do what they've done on some recent tours, i.e. a bit more remixs with classic disco samples.

11 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

PSB did a complete set of hits this year, but then maybe all their tunes are hits.

Much as I enjoyed it, I was hoping they do what they've done on some recent tours, i.e. a bit more remixs with classic disco samples.

PSB would have been 10/10 if they played "What Have I Done To Deserve This?"

• Upvote 1