LAWKS! It's the next announcement thread

jparx

Just now, incident said:

It's likely that any artist with other shows to sell (or who wants to get promo for the album out, or various other reasons) will have an agreement with GFL along the lines of "can't be announced before X date". If that date hasn't arrived yet, then GFL can't announce the act, regardless of whatever else is happening.

If BST have him then they've paid him a substantially higher fee, in which case they're likely to insist on a measure of exclusivity for their money. Whereas Glastonbury paying a cut price fee are in no position to negotiate that. So BST will insist that nothing else can be announced before they do - We've seen that with other shows, for example most recently the Kings of Leon BST date was announced a couple days before the rest of the tour.

Thanks, makes sense.

1 hour ago, Ncahir94 said:

Also international women’s day on the 8th. With two female headliners and a legend. Could also see two females topping the other so that could be the day to announce 

Even if they have all these female headliners I think Emily would be reluctant to make a massive thing out of it (the press will notice and mention it themselves without her). Otherwise she sets herself up to fail if she doesn't manage it every year.

11 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Even if they have all these female headliners I think Emily would be reluctant to make a massive thing out of it (the press will notice and mention it themselves without her). Otherwise she sets herself up to fail if she doesn't manage it every year.

Yes I can't see them announcing on International Women's Day for that reason. For a start we all believe it's extremely unlikely that there are 2 female headliners this year so she's already going to be having a difficult time because of that.

Even some of the 'non-obsessives' on a couple of Whatsapp groups I'm in are starting to question the lack of any news....usually a headliner or two has been announced by now to keep people quiet ahead of an initial line-up drop in March/April. 

If it is Coldplay and Dua Lipa for the other two nights, I wonder why they are holding it back?

(Sorry if this has all been discussed - haven't really gone through this thread much!)

18 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Even some of the 'non-obsessives' on a couple of Whatsapp groups I'm in are starting to question the lack of any news....usually a headliner or two has been announced by now to keep people quiet ahead of an initial line-up drop in March/April. 

If it is Coldplay and Dua Lipa for the other two nights, I wonder why they are holding it back?

(Sorry if this has all been discussed - haven't really gone through this thread much!)

"spit*

people-2049353432.jpg

17 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

ha!

REG: Yeah. All right, Stan. Don't labour the point. And what have the Eavises ever given us in return?!

XERXES: The water points?

REG: What?

XERXES: The water points.

REG: Oh. Yeah, yeah. They did give us that. Uh, that's true. Yeah.

COMMANDO #3: And the compost toilets.

LORETTA: Oh, yeah, the compost toilets, Reg. Remember what the portaloos used to be like?

REG: Yeah. All right. I'll grant you the water points and the compost loos are two things that the Eavises have done.

MATTHIAS: And the trackways.

REG: Well, yeah. Obviously the trackways. I mean, the trackways go without saying, don't they? But apart from the water points, the compost loos, and the trackways--

COMMANDO: Better drainage on site.

XERXES: Festival Medial Services.

COMMANDOS: Huh? Heh? Huh...

COMMANDO #2: Better late licencing for after midnight areas.

COMMANDOS: Ohh...

REG: Yeah, yeah. All right. Fair enough.

COMMANDO #1: And the bars.

COMMANDOS: Oh, yes. Yeah...

FRANCIS: Yeah. Yeah, that's something we'd really miss, Reg, if the Romans left. Huh.

COMMANDO: Glamping.

LORETTA: And it's safe to walk the old railway path at night now, Reg.

FRANCIS: Yeah, they certainly know how to keep order. Let's face it. They're the only ones who could in a place like this.

COMMANDOS: Hehh, heh. Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh.

REG: All right, but apart from the water points, festival medical services, better late licencing for after midnight areas , the bars, public order, better drainage on site, trackways, compost toilets, and less mudbaths, what have the Romans ever done for us?

XERXES: Booked Coldplay.

REG: Oh. Coldplay? Shut up!

• Upvote 6

In that Annie & Nick podcast, Emily said "It'll make sense when we reveal our line-up, there's a reason why we've held off a little longer."

I'm not sure we've given this particular sentence the 28 pages of scrutiny that it deserves.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Aye  - the Green Man booker books The Park I think.

That is an interesting little nugget.  It makes sense there is always crossover in acts and vibe. If I was to choose a stage to be at all day it would be The Park from a music perspective and I always love the look of Green Man, it is just too far to justify for me as well as Glasto (and often Latitude).

1 hour ago, incident said:

It's likely that any artist with other shows to sell (or who wants to get promo for the album out, or various other reasons) will have an agreement with GFL along the lines of "can't be announced before X date". If that date hasn't arrived yet, then GFL can't announce the act, regardless of whatever else is happening.

If BST have him then they've paid him a substantially higher fee, in which case they're likely to insist on a measure of exclusivity for their money. Whereas Glastonbury paying a cut price fee are in no position to negotiate that. So BST will insist that nothing else can be announced before they do - We've seen that with other shows, for example most recently the Kings of Leon BST date was announced a couple days before the rest of the tour.

Agree with all of this. My question though is why haven't they announced him for BST yet? Feels like they're dragging it out somewhat - I know there are multiple BST concerts but they surely don't need to space out the announcements of each one this much.

I feel like if we can figure out why BST haven't announced it gets use closer to figuring out when Glasto will announce.

18 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

In that Annie & Nick podcast, Emily said "It'll make sense when we reveal our line-up, there's a reason why we've held off a little longer."

I'm not sure we've given this particular sentence the 28 pages of scrutiny that it deserves.

Didn't know this was a line, would be rather weird to say, if it was due to festivals struggling with lineups this year, like many have speculated but is there anything we can think might be on the lineup to cause her to say this...

2 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Didn't know this was a line, would be rather weird to say, if it was due to festivals struggling with lineups this year, like many have speculated but is there anything we can think might be on the lineup to cause her to say this...

Bigger Thursday line up? 
A new major stage? 
whatever it was something they knew about at the time of that interview. 

54 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

With all the talk at the time of Madonna, Shania, Stevie N etc potentially performing, I thought maybe an all female Sunday Pyramid lineup. And with International Women’s Day now next Friday…

• Upvote 1