Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

3 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain how straight white males are the most repressed group in history.

He's already here, weeks after people refuted any points he made yet seemingly feeling it's wise to dig an even deeper hole

3 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I'm all for pushing representation at Glastonbury, which has always been about inclusivity. 

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to explain how straight white males are the most repressed group in history.

All Glastonbury have done is book from a wider range of talent, but of course any slot given to someone who isn’t a white male fronted band with guitars is considered as taking one away from “more deserving” white male fronted bands with guitars. This is the only argument that diversity critics have, that any diversity is too much diversity.

1 hour ago, lebenski said:

Fuck sake, relax people.  There's 500 things you can do at any given moment during the festival.. who cares if you don't like a couple of the acts? Go strawpedo a smirnoff ice down the rabbit hole and forget about it.

The most true thing in here. There’s barely a band on the lineup I’d go and see as a stand-alone gig, but I’m gonna go see the things I fancy a bit and if there’s nowt, I’ll be doing one of a billion other excellent things

12 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Says the poster who was warned on these forums not to use a racial slur. I know this for a fact because I was the person who reported you and I got a direct message from Neil myself about it. If anyone is the racist here, it's certainly you.

Not once in any message on here, have I said "I want more straight white people on the bill" - you have literally applied that from your own fantasy and projected it onto me with zero evidence.

You've never once refuted anything I've ever said on efestivals with data or reasoned thought. All you ever have are sarcastic, 'gotcha', one liners, and then you fade away without any input.

Please, pray tell, what is the context I'm missing? Historical context? Representative context?

Not only that, you've obviously completely missed my point. But for your sake, I'll summise it quickly:

a) I'm not against women on the bill

b) I'm not against any person of LBGT+ on the bill

c) I'm not against any person of colour or non-white, non-British person

d) I AM against, judging people based on any of the above and putting them on the bill using any of the above as some kind of "tie-breaker/extra advantage" - something you support because of this elusive CONTEXT. 

I'll await some sarcastic comment about how you don't wanna waste your time etc before you slink off again.

The policy Emily set out was to try and remove engrained prejudices that people have. Just the very notion that you believe that more deserving men have missed out shows these prejudices exist. For perhaps the last decade I personally think that it is mainly women who have made the most interesting music. Most of my albums of the year have been by women and yet apart from at Glastonbury I don’t see that reflected. 

With art there is no right or wrong what you think is better I might think is worse. The worst act on the line up this year for me is male and I could think of at least 20 women who haven’t been booked that would be better. 

I am incredibly pleased with the stance Emily takes on this issue the only thing I wish is that it wasn’t public so that people wouldn’t look at the female acts and think they are only there to fill a quota in a way they never look at male bands and think they are only there because the booker is great mates with their agent. 

• Like 1

- John Peel is just a crappy venue to watch acts in, just always unsatisfying

- The lineups haven't been that good for years especially compared to festivals like Primavera, it's all the other stuff which makes it worth it

- Corbyn in 2017 was a massively cringe and embarrassing moment. Admittedly I'm not a fan (more of a Labour moderate) but doing that for any major politician was far too weird for the festival

- People talk up a lot of very average food on here (eg the growlers). Loads of other fantastic food stalls though!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

- John Peel is just a crappy venue to watch acts in, just always unsatisfying

- The lineups haven't been that good for years especially compared to festivals like Primavera, it's all the other stuff which makes it worth it

- Corbyn in 2017 was a massively cringe and embarrassing moment. Admittedly I'm not a fan (more of a Labour moderate) but doing that for any major politician was far too weird for the festival

- People talk up a lot of very average food on here (eg the growlers). Loads of other fantastic food stalls though!

- Tell that to the crowds for The Killers and Gerry Cinnamon. At those very moments, it was the best venue in the world!

- This year we've got a Beatle playing the Pyramid stage, it really doesn't get any better than that.

- The cheer of "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" which could literally be heard as far away as some of the amplified music tends to disagree.

- Ok, I'll give you that one. But still, it served it's purpose and just sometimes a growler is what's needed. But yeah, the loss of things like Gandhi's Flip Flop will be felt more heavily. 

Can't believe there will be people attending Glasto who think it's okay to judge ppl based on their gender or race, and their own personal subjective form of context. Literal sexism/racism.

It's no better than the far right and their own version of context or history.

Either we treat everyone the same, or nothing gets better.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Can't believe there will be people attending Glasto who think it's okay to judge ppl based on their gender or race, and their own personal subjective form of context. Literal sexism/racism.

Equality means each individual or group of people is given the same resources or opportunities.

Equity recognizes that each person has different circumstances and allocates the exact resources and opportunities needed to reach an equal outcome.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

In which case if I was booking we’d have about a 70/30 split gender wise. I don’t judge anyone based on gender/race/sexuality or disability but of course I notice it and I notice when I was younger I probably listened more to male acts but in recent years it has changed very much the other way and it’s because women are finally being promoted better and I find them generally speaking more interesting. 

16 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Equality means each individual or group of people is given the same resources or opportunities.

Equity recognizes that each person has different circumstances and allocates the exact resources and opportunities needed to reach an equal outcome.

Or equity means that people have a right to what they’ve earned. 

8 minutes ago, kugglaw said:

Controversial opinion threads on forums are always such a bad idea.

You think it’s gonna be people saying “oh, actually I quite like mud!” But in reality it’s 42 pages of arguing about racism and affirmative action.

Depressing.

Yeah and I thought I was going to get shit on my dislike of girl snakes... (Anyone?).

The above is quite relevant to Glasto though! Would we have the same discussion in the Reading forum? (I'm actually asking, I don't know)

On 5/13/2022 at 8:38 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Too much of the festival has been devoted to hitting diversity quotas instead of quality. 

You started your point from a flawed premise and with every post all you've done is doubled down and proved exactly why it's so important that Emily should fight against the unconscious bias of people like you. 

Your supposed proof that she was doing what you claim is a BBC link about gender balance. She actually points out that she isn't compromising quality "It's a challenge. Everyone's finding it hard - but the acts are there" 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-51485570

Plus there have been many pages of posts with other members saying how excited they are about the variety of acts on the bill. 

You've stated your "controversial opinion", do you have to keep repeating it? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

I just happened to be in the field at the time and I was recoiling with cringe the entire time, truly dreadful! 

A controversial opinion would be something like the Cider Bus cider not being the best thing to drink on site.

A REALLY controversial opinion would be something like Carlsberg being the best thing to drink on site.

When you stray into matters of equality, that's just being a dick. And, you know what we all say...

Dont-be-a-dick.jpg

8 minutes ago, theciderviking said:

A REALLY controversial opinion would be something like Carlsberg being the best thing to drink on site.

I have to say, the Carlsberg Pilsner (£6.80) at Liam Gallagher yesterday in Knebworth was surprisingly good. It were cold, it weren’t too frothy, very drinkable. I was disgusted with myself throughout.

They also had some pretty decent white wine!