Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nothing prevented you taking a seat in 2019 either.

Whereas folk stand on the benches to watch acts so they rapidly become no-sit zones.

Something did prevent me from sitting in 2019 - I was trying to go somewhere.  And fuck it, I'll sit on a muddy seat, it's not a trip to the theatre.  Or bring out the bin bag I keep with me to sit down, problem solved.

The mega amount if clashes this year has led me to conclude they simply book too many acts.

I think they should massively up the number of acts who play multiple sets. While I certainly think the likes of Macca should be a one shot, I think the festival would benefit from having lower acts play 2 or 3 sets at different stages - Wet Leg, Confidence man, Self Esteem etc.

Mine would be for this year im more looking forward to the bootleg beatles set  on the sunday then i am maccas, just because they represent every era of the beatles, they really make an effort, they have a tonne of energy on stage and on a smaller stage they will get big energy going from the crowd as well. Saw them in the acoustic a few years back and it was utterly rammed with the crowd singing every word and just bouncing.

From what ive seen of current macca shows his voice isnt nearly good these days (not his fault, age stops for no man) and due to said age I doubt his set will have much energy either.....also the pyramid field is an utter mare when its an artist as big as that....BUT it is an ideal time to get down to the se corner early and get a proper banging saturday night out going before the masses swamp it 🙂 .

Will be at yungblud for the first part of his set anyway so will probably finish up there then head to se corner and catch the original beatle as im merely passing through (or trying to lol)

Edited by waterfalls21234

On 6/6/2022 at 12:27 PM, CJL9494 said:

100%! That's what I mean, the whole experience of the festival is bundled in with the ticket price surely? Its not really comparable to standard gigs for me, so a pointless debate.

You can value the festival based on the cost of seeing acts you know you want to see elsewhere. But then to that you have to add on how much you value seeing acts you don't know you want to see in advance.

For some people there's very little value there, for others it's a ridiculous amount.

Just like how in the real world some people will only go see a few things a year, others will go to their local venue every week or so just to see whoever is playing.

Perhaps this opinion is controversial then:  I would happily pay £300 without there being a single act on the bill that I would personally pay to see otherwise.  As long as there is a good mix of genres and some big names scattered in, bring it on. 

Glastonbury is all about wandering about and making memories out of the little things and unexpected discoveries.  Being in a field with your mates and a couple hundred thousand other people all having a great time is what it's about for me.  At £300 a ticket that is still ridiculously good value in 2022.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, lebenski said:

Perhaps this opinion is controversial then:  I would happily pay £300 without there being a single act on the bill that I would personally pay to see otherwise.  As long as there is a good mix of genres and some big names scattered in, bring it on. 

Glastonbury is all about wandering about and making memories out of the little things and unexpected discoveries.  Being in a field with your mates and a couple hundred thousand other people all having a great time is what it's about for me.  At £300 a ticket that is still ridiculously good value in 2022.

With this 100%. Though I completely appreciate that not everyone’s disposable income would stretch to simply buying a ticket with no consideration of the lineup.

Edited by ripcurl85

On 6/6/2022 at 1:08 PM, thewayiam said:

No but I have Wednesday and Thursday free mostly from music to explore. I go to Baggy Mondays om Thursday and usually spend some time at the bandstand and on from there for a bar crawl.

What I'm saying is though, I've been through the Green Fields, Green Futures etc etc many times over the years and while parts are interesting, much of it is the same thing. Most of my friends won't head to many late night areas beyind Earache and Truth stage which is obviously still music. I've covered a lot in my 9 years. This year I'm going to Devon instead to experience something I never have and I'd always said that Glastonbury happens at a perfect time that I can take in something new and for me it's more beneficial. 

Putting the cream on first then the jam?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw people asking about the ethnicity make up of the crowd this year in the Lenny thread and if it's representative of the UK, so I thought I'd ask about the quotas for female bands.

Are women flocking to all the female bands that are representing them? Or are they ignoring their representatives?

The festival should start paying more to attract a better calibre of artists and people should be willing to pay a higher ticket price to accommodate it.

It's currently in a ridiculous situation where the only people who can afford to take their low fees are established pop acts and legacy acts. The more mainstream it's gonna get the less it can rely on being something special to pay less to smaller artists and the less big smaller artists the more everybody will go to the big stages and cause the festival big issues.

• Downvote 2

On 6/25/2022 at 8:59 AM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Saw people asking about the ethnicity make up of the crowd this year in the Lenny thread and if it's representative of the UK, so I thought I'd ask about the quotas for female bands.

Are women flocking to all the female bands that are representing them? Or are they ignoring their representatives?

Experienced the closest thing to a crowd crush getting to Sugababes, TLC, Mel C, Wet Leg and Diana Ross… so, yes?