Your most controversial Glastonbury opinions

Deaf Nobby Burton

On 5/19/2022 at 8:00 PM, TheGChild said:

This years lineup is made up entirely of just 3 genres:

1. Whispery sad girls

2. Flavour of the month indie punk bands

3. DJs. So so many frikkin DJs

Disclaimer: Yeah i'm grossly generalisng 

Do you think, and I say this from personal experience... You might just be getting old? 😜

On 5/19/2022 at 9:00 PM, TheGChild said:

1. Whispery sad girls

Oh god if I hear one more mimsy cover of a classic hard rock song i might just go postal.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I think somebody has said this already but i’m love/hate with the bins.

They look amazing and are truly a unique part of the festival. But they always seem to be overflowing, which offends my recycling sensibilities.

Yes that's a mindf*ck. Do I just leave it on top? On the side? Do I keep my trash a little longer?

On 4/13/2022 at 1:13 PM, Old_Johno said:

This is true of any festival, but particularly Glastonbury. There is zero reason to bring a child under maybe 5 to the festival. It’s purely self indulgence for the parents.  

Andy and Odd Socks headlining the Kidz Field would heartily disagree.

I have kids under 5.  I’m not bringing them this year but there is a whole other side to the festival that you probably don’t appreciate when your main concern is monging around the SE Corner at 3AM.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

I think somebody has said this already but i’m love/hate with the bins.

They look amazing and are truly a unique part of the festival. But they always seem to be overflowing, which offends my recycling sensibilities.

At least there are some bins to overflow.  Glastonbury is way better than most festivals I’ve been to.

Reading festival is a nightmare. I genuinely believe that they’ve made a conscious decision that it’s cheaper and easier to let everyone drop litter on the floor and clean it all up after the festival finishes rather than empty the bins throughout the weekend.

When my wife first went to Glastonbury she was stunned how much litter there was on the main stage after everyone left. She was even more shocked when I told her that Glastonbury only has about 10% of the litter in Reading, and to a lesser extent, Download.

4 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

At least there are some bins to overflow.  Glastonbury is way better than most festivals I’ve been to.

Reading festival is a nightmare. I genuinely believe that they’ve made a conscious decision that it’s cheaper and easier to let everyone drop litter on the floor and clean it all up after the festival finishes rather than empty the bins throughout the weekend.

When my wife first went to Glastonbury she was stunned how much litter there was on the main stage after everyone left. She was even more shocked when I told her that Glastonbury only has about 10% of the litter in Reading, and to a lesser extent, Download.

To be fair most of my other festivals have been pretty small: Big Chill, Shambala, Secret Garden, Beatherder…

Edited by Twiggy553

1. Whispery sad girls

Is it possible that you just don't know much about genres?  😜

There are literally hundreds of things that don't fit those 3.

17 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Is it possible that you just don't know much about genres?  😜

There are literally hundreds of things that don't fit those 3.

Yeah, like two of the three headliners and the legend...

There may be a fine line between a controversial opinion and just plain wrong...

On 5/17/2022 at 1:02 AM, SouthbanKen said:

Essentially, you are against affirmative action. Personally, I and it feels like lots of people on here, and indeed the festival itself support affirmative action in increasing equality, particularly in terms of female representation but also, in terms of increasing the representation from People of Colour. These are probably the largest under represented groups at the festival and so it makes sense to start there. I would also support it for disabled groups, working class groups, LGBTQ groups and potentially others if they were highlighted to me. 

All of these groups have been historically underrepresented in music, taking positive steps to improve their visibility at one of the worlds major music festivals has positive outcomes for all members of society inside and outside the festival and I for one hope it continues. 

if you are interested then this short article sets out some of the benefits that AA has had in the US college system, whilst it takes a little lateral thinking, I would imagine a study into AA in music would find similar individual and societal benefits derived from Glastonbury’s actions. 

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news/uk/18/07/case-affirmative-action

I don’t take umbrage with much of your post, although the strawman about ticket allocation makes your argument weaker and belittles your overall position, but I do take exception to this point: “If you’re for quotas, you obviously think women are weak, are historical victims, and are unable to make it on their own.”

You are wrong, I don’t think women are weak, but I do know that women are victimised globally. It might not appear so in your nice little world, but here are some facts that prove we still have a long way to go when it comes to equality. 

71% of all human trafficking involves women and girls – mainly for sexual exploitation (source. UNODC, 2016)

Over 2.7 billion women don’t have the same work opportunities as men, with laws restricting the types of jobs they can do (source. World Bank, 2018).

Less than 15% of landholders worldwide are women (source. Food and Agriculture Organization, 2015; World Bank, 2019).

Nearly 82 million women around the world don’t have any legal protection against discrimination in the workplace (source. World Policy Analysis Centre, 2017).

When women are involved in negotiations the probability of a peace agreement lasting at least two years is increased by 20 per cent, and 15 years by 35 per cent (source. Preventing Conflict, Transforming Justice, and Securing the Peace: A Global Study on Implementation of Security Council Resolution 1325, 2015).

Anyone who posts on this forum knows that Glastonbury is a cultural icon, a global event that has the ability to touch people way beyond a field in south west England. Increasing representation isn’t about promoting one decent band over another decent band, it’s about making the world a better place for everyone. 

Affirmative action, quotas, tomato, tomatah 🙂

It's funny how you talk about strawmans (mine was not a strawman since it was all to do with representation of bands and punters alike) and then go on to relate quotas at festivals based on gender to violence against women and human trafficking. There's literally no correlation to the two. Would it surprise you to know that men are also victimised globally? Gay men? Men who live on the streets? Most people who commit suicide are men? A lot of men are also victims of domestic violence? It's just totally irrelevant and goes off on a tangent that confuses quotas with some other heroic intent that somehow because Glasto has replaced land fill *male* bands with landfill *female* bands, that human trafficking is going to end or something? What?!

The ending of your post, is agreeable tho. I would also like to make the world a better place, but it doesn't start with dividing us all into colours, classes, and genders. 

PS I'm also not stating that terrible things don't happen to women, before anyone gets excited.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

The dividing is just a means to an end, empowering those with less advantages. A musician on a stage is empowering, and visible. It does mean a lot to people to see themselves up there. And hopefully from this movement we'll have more and better bands, even if this started with a landfill *fill in the blanks*  band.

Could be  a woman, someone disabled etc or could be just a lad who sings about being beaten up by his girlfriend. Not that Glasto needs to go on a list of what category then need to consider but steps here and there do have consequences.

Just this week I overheard some colleagues complaining about the fact that pre- schools were "pushing" boys to play with a doll. That if a boy wanted to play with a doll, he can just do it and these days it's fine, no one will care. They forgot that maybe the little boy doesn't dare to play with the doll and that giving him the opportunity to do so can make a big difference.

/end of rant

1. Whispery sad girls

Which one of those do Paul McCartney, Kendrick Lamar, Ziggy Marley, Diana Ross for into? 🤣

56 minutes ago, moogster said:

The dividing is just a means to an end, empowering those with less advantages. A musician on a stage is empowering, and visible. It does mean a lot to people to see themselves up there. And hopefully from this movement we'll have more and better bands, even if this started with a landfill *fill in the blanks*  band.

Could be  a woman, someone disabled etc or could be just a lad who sings about being beaten up by his girlfriend. Not that Glasto needs to go on a list of what category then need to consider but steps here and there do have consequences.

Just this week I overheard some colleagues complaining about the fact that pre- schools were "pushing" boys to play with a doll. That if a boy wanted to play with a doll, he can just do it and these days it's fine, no one will care. They forgot that maybe the little boy doesn't dare to play with the doll and that giving him the opportunity to do so can make a big difference.

/end of rant

If my son was forced to play with anything, I'd be in the headmaster's office the next day asking about freedom of choice and why a political agenda was being pushed at school.

I've no idea why people need to see "themselves" in a film. It never stopped people loving the Simpsons or liking the sounds of musical notes arranged in a specific way.

As a keen listener to a wide variety of genres, the last thing that is important to me is the race/sex of the singer or musician.

I must have missed saying this because I thought it was obvious from my other posts, but obviously there are sexists and racists out there, but for me, enforced social engineering (quotas, affirmative action etc) is not the best way to counter it. It's something straight out of Soviet Russia.

I don't like Stephen Fry because he's gay.

I don't like Samba the Great because she's black or a woman.

I don't like the Rolling Stones because they're old and white or male.

And to the poster I replied to earlier, none of this has got to do with human trafficking or slavery or other depraved things.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

49 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

As a keen listener to a wide variety of genres, the last thing that is important to me is the race/sex of the singer or musician.

Most controversial of all: It’s not all about you

Edited by Twiggy553

29 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Most controversial of all: It’s not all about you

And it's not all about being gay or black or a woman. Life is not about your physical identity.

38 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Must be delightful to be able to forget that context exists.

Exactly, so many ppl have no idea of the context of their sexism/racism when they say they need to see ppl who are like them. If I was a straight white man and said, "I'm straight and white, I need to see ppl like me on the bill", ppl would rightly call that laughable. 

But then I guess people have a hierarchy of victomhood to adhere to.

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

And it's not all about being gay or black or a woman. Life is not about your physical identity.

Exactly, so many ppl have no idea of the context of their sexism/racism when they say they need to see ppl who are like them. If I was a straight white man and said, "I'm straight and white, I need to see ppl like me on the bill", ppl would rightly call that laughable. 

But then I guess people have a hierarchy of victomhood to adhere to.

Good grief. and like All Lives Matter, maaaan?

Edited by Twiggy553

54 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

This is what you're saying and it's exactly why you're laughable.

2 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:
2 hours ago, Twiggy553 said:

Good grief. and like All Lives Matter, maaaan?

All lives don't matter? Wow. Have fun at Glastonbury, summing up your sympathy for the different people there based on their race. Why not just go around saying "Your Life matter's less than this person's life!" 

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This is what you're saying and it's exactly why you're laughable.

Says the poster who was warned on these forums not to use a racial slur. I know this for a fact because I was the person who reported you and I got a direct message from Neil myself about it. If anyone is the racist here, it's certainly you.

Not once in any message on here, have I said "I want more straight white people on the bill" - you have literally applied that from your own fantasy and projected it onto me with zero evidence.

You've never once refuted anything I've ever said on efestivals with data or reasoned thought. All you ever have are sarcastic, 'gotcha', one liners, and then you fade away without any input.

Please, pray tell, what is the context I'm missing? Historical context? Representative context?

Not only that, you've obviously completely missed my point. But for your sake, I'll summise it quickly:

a) I'm not against women on the bill

b) I'm not against any person of LBGT+ on the bill

c) I'm not against any person of colour or non-white, non-British person

d) I AM against, judging people based on any of the above and putting them on the bill using any of the above as some kind of "tie-breaker/extra advantage" - something you support because of this elusive CONTEXT. 

I'll await some sarcastic comment about how you don't wanna waste your time etc before you slink off again.

20 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I AM against, judging people based on any of the above and putting them on the bill using any of the above as some kind of "tie-breaker/extra advantage" - something you support because of this elusive CONTEXT. 

When has this happened exactly? Do you book Glastonbury? With all due respect, I feel like the narrative you're following doesn't make a lot of sense.