Glastonbury Veteran

shuttlep

Glastonbury Veteran   

199 members have voted

1. 1. How many Glastonbury's do you have to go to before you become a Veteran?

• 10+

I reckon the criteria should be at least 10, including:
- at least one properly muddy year (only 2007 and 2016 count as that in the last 20 years)
- at least one pre-superfence year
- at least once working it

So I'll never qualify because I can't go back in time to before the fence went up.

1 minute ago, incident said:

- at least one properly muddy year (only 2007 and 2016 count as that in the last 20 years)

So I'll never qualify because I can't go back in time to before the fence went up.

I'd never qualify because I wouldn't be in a fit state to work - and yes in the past I have seen some folks working who clearly had been enjoying themselves 🙂 

12 minutes ago, incident said:

2004 and 2005 were proper grimm

i would have loved to have gone pre super fence. alas i never made it 

1 minute ago, shuttlep said:

2004 and 2005 were proper grimm

This has been done a million times before before but not relative to 2007 and 2016 - neither were an endurance test in the same way. 2004 was muddy in places throughout, but nowhere near as deep or as pervasive. 2005 was really bad, briefly, but pretty much only for about a day and a half - the site dried out quickly (helped by the weather being properly fantastic aside from that one overnight storm) and you could safely wander around in Trainers on the Sunday.

I'm certainly not a veteran. Indeed on the Sunday of 2019 (my 4th festival) I discovered a whole brand new area of the festival I'd never been to before, which was mystifying/ hilarious. There's so so much more to see and do. 

But having said that, I do notice that there's certain acts or things that i've done which means my festival is slightly different now. For example, the map release has started becoming more important for me -  little changes to stages or even the placement of food stalls is something I'll actually look out for. I'm also just aware of certain things that I just wasn't a few festivals back, like planning for the time after the main headliners finish and the SE corner is quiet enough to be enjoyable. I also know my way around the site a whole lot better then I did before, which is such a time saver (even if you do lose that magical moments of getting lost) 

I've also seen quite a few of the more 'regular' acts at the festival now, so I either look for them on the line up, or can branch out a bit more (especially on the Wednesday/ Thursday) and do other things (e.g. avoid the opening ceremony, climb the ribbon tower, go to the stone circle for sunrise etc.)

Of course that's nothing compared to many on here with the many tens of festivals more then me, but it's interesting to reflect on everyones festival changes over time.  

Edited by kemosabe

2 minutes ago, incident said:

This has been done a million times before before but not relative to 2007 and 2016 - neither were an endurance test in the same way. 2004 was muddy in places throughout, but nowhere near as deep or as pervasive. 2005 was really bad, briefly, but pretty much only for about a day and a half - the site dried out quickly (helped by the weather being properly fantastic aside from that one overnight storm) and you could safely wander around in Trainers on the Sunday.

Ooh, actually I did work in 1985 and 1986.  Selling cheese rolls 3 for a quid or cups of orange squash...which we only did because MEs brother did it as a local fund raiser, so I think I may just scrape in.

1 minute ago, incident said:

I can recall lying down on the floor during Brian Wilson on the Sunday!

58 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s not the number, it’s the specific ones that matter such as 2005, 2011, 2016 and others

I can’t talk about them because you weren’t there man! 😉

Out of those I’ve only done 2011 and it wasn’t as bad as 97,98, or 07.

46 minutes ago, incident said:

Been to 13, worked once but none pre-2002.