Festival layout/map 2022

March Hare

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Didn't Boomtown used to have a conveyer belt type thing to get people up a big hill? Maybe they could do that.

Yes the travelator...but they binned it off at somepoint (Was there when I went in 2014 & 2015 but had gone by the time I returned in 2019)

2 hours ago, Blisterpack said:

I’m not sure to be honest. What the hell - I heard they were in discussion with the Council and Building Control people about building a bridge directly into the site. Making it easier and quicker to get in and out. And making the 37 steps of death optional. 

Straight into Strummerville. 

2 hours ago, Blisterpack said:

I’m not sure to be honest. What the hell - I heard they were in discussion with the Council and Building Control people about building a bridge directly into the site. Making it easier and quicker to get in and out. And making the 37 steps of death optional. 

There's something at Westonbirt, but that's pretty hardcore, expensive and took a while to build - it is great though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-36138534

On 3/26/2022 at 9:40 AM, Gnomicide said:

I have heard a rumour of a one off change to one of the better known bits of the festival but am sworn to secrecy. Hopefully that will be announced soon if it is happening, sounds amazing.

They've gone early and made the announcement today in a Guardian interview. It's also on the official site:

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/news/

To celebrate the return of Glastonbury Festival and the 80th Birthday of Saturday Night headliner Sir Paul McCartney, the iconic Ribbon Tower will this year be converted into a giant Helter-Skelter.

Speaking to The Guardian, Emily Eavis said "We wanted to do something special to show how excited we are to be going ahead with this year's festival and also to celebrate finally getting Sir Paul McCartney back eighteen year's after his last appearance"

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/apr/01/glastonbury-unveil-park-ride-for-2022

Emily Eavis added "It was actually Joe Rush who came up with the idea. We were discussing how we would decorate The Pyramid this year and thought we could have something to mark Sir Paul's 80th birthday when Joe said he had an idea for The Ribbon Tower."

Designer Joe Rush said "It started with a daft little sketch I'd made. I showed it to Michael and Emily, I thought they'd just laugh but they liked it.

We had to do a great deal of research into if it was even possible or not but we believe it can be done without too many alterations to the existing structure which is dismantled and put back up each year.

It's a difficult build but we like a challenge!"

Lucky ticket holders will be able to enjoy the ride from Wednesday 22nd June. It is anticipated the ride will be a one off for this year only. Visitors climbing the tower will be given the option of using the slide or descending via the stairs as in previous years.

Artist's impression

Photo_1647975777662.thumb.jpg.dc5187be3bca9fad827ad9320aa9c0de.jpg

Joe's original sketch

Screenshot_20220330-235956_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d1b65adc530844b23ec8c5312d40a07f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

They've gone early and made the announcement today in a Guardian interview. It's also on the official site:

To celebrate the return of Glastonbury Festival and the 80th Birthday of Saturday Night headliner Sir Paul McCartney, the iconic Ribbon Tower will this year be converted into a giant Helter-Skelter.

Speaking to The Guardian, Emily Eavis said "We wanted to do something special to show how excited we are to be going ahead with this year's festival and also to celebrate finally getting Sir Paul McCartney back eighteen year's after his last appearance"

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/apr/01/glastonbury-unveil-park-ride-for-2022

Emily Eavis added "It was actually Joe Rush who came up with the idea. We were discussing how we would decorate The Pyramid this year and thought we could have something to mark Sir Paul's 80th birthday when Joe said he had an idea for The Ribbon Tower."

Designer Joe Rush said "It started with a daft little sketch I'd made. I showed it to Michael and Emily, I thought they'd just laugh but they liked it.

We had to do a great deal of research into if it was even possible or not but we believe it can be done without too many alterations to the existing structure which is dismantled and put back up each year.

Lucky ticket holders will be able to enjoy the ride from Wednesday 22nd June. It is anticipated the ride will be a one off for this year only. Visitors climbing the tower will be given the option of using the slide or descending via the stairs as in previous years.

Artist's impression

Joe's original sketch

Screenshot_20220330-235956_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d1b65adc530844b23ec8c5312d40a07f.jpg

Thanks for reminding me it's April 1st

14 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Artist's impression

Joe's original sketch

Ahhh, I heard about this a little while back. I reckon it could work. Creates a one-way system and gets people up and down quicker. I'm in. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ahhh, I heard about this a little while back. I reckon it could work. Creates a one-way system and gets people up and down quicker. I'm in. 

I'm told they will be putting some sort of cage/net over it though to stop drunken people falling off. Health & Safety wouldn't pass it without. 

Shame, it will ruin the aesthetic a little.

5 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

On rainy days you’ll get down even quicker too although they’ll probably need a ball pool at the bottom

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The60ftOctopus said:

I've been to almost ten Glasto's and still not been up the ribbon tower. Helter skelter however... 

I have a photo of me coming down a helter skelter somewhere on site with a can of beer in my hand. And I have been up to the top of the ribbon tower as I found myself up that way one evening when there wasn't a headliner I wanted to see and there was no queue.  Wouldn't necessarily say it was amazing but at least I've ticked it off my list.