• Cider Bus
  • Acoustic Stage Bar
  • Williams Green
  • Brothers Bar
  • Theatre & Circus Bar
  • Avalon Inn
  • Spike Bar
  • Stonebridge

Need to put off the Park as long as possible as that's usually where things go wrong...

Edited by Hugh Jass II

Wednesday we normally do a pub crawl starting at the Park area and working clockwise, back in good time for the opening ceremony. A decent way to see the sights and spend half your weekends budget...

Thursday changes year on year but it's nice to start the evening with Baggy Mondays, then either Beat Hotel, Glade, SE Corner. Just a proper bimble! Love the first two days! 

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Just working out a route now. Something like:

• Cider Bus
  • Acoustic Stage Bar
  • Williams Green
  • Brothers Bar
  • Theatre & Circus Bar
  • Avalon Inn
  • Spike Bar
  • Stonebridge

Need to put off the Park as long as possible as that's usually where things go wrong...

I'd probably only make it to the 4th bar...

New York Brass Band on Wednesday evening and Thursday midday, good way to blow out the cobwebs. Nice to have a nose round the naughty corner on Wednesday night too to see how everything's looking. Hope Wheel of Four Tunes are back for some Thursday night shenanigans too. Just bimbling around and seeing whoever is playing really, usually someone on the bandstand or Greenpeace. Beans on Toast usually does a set or two around then too.

Best two days on site.  I always start the Wednesday with a full walk around the site trying to visit all the areas that have changed from the last map. A few beers/ciders on route and a finish off in the park waiting for the opening.

Generally knackered by around 12pm but there's no point going to bed as its the one night everyone sits up until stupid in the morning. 

I've spent many a Wednesday night by the tent talking to neighbours who (due to different festival time tables) I never see until its time to pack the tent away again! 

Wednesday is do a mass wonder around the site, I try hit most of the areas I wont normally go to over fri - sunday and what ever area takes my fancy I'll chill in for a bit, 2017 I did some crafts. Then its the trek up the hill with the group for the sunset and have a couple of drinks in a bar or two, fairly early night on Wednesday.

Thursday is pretty much the same as Wednesday, just hitting different areas, catching a few acts at Williams Green, doing a small bar crawl leading into Thursday evening. 

I think this year I'm gonna do some of the more DJ things, but I said that about 2019. 

5 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Yep I'm with you. I'd like to see them pioneer some alternative lightshow but fireworks have ruined my life and are horrendous for the environment. I just can't enjoy them any more because I know all too well the absolute misery they cause. I'd love to see some drone light shows or something else to show how it could be done. 

Ruined your life? Some sort of accident? I’m complete ambivalent towards fireworks, big load of nothing as far as I’m concerned , but many enjoy them so I’d be against a ban, just wondering why you are so against them?

Thursday night is all about Psytrance in the Glade Lounge - it's pretty much a single dance genre catered for in the same one venue on the same night each year, and so feels traditional and special at the same time. Sets me up beautifully for the next three nights mostly in Block9/Arcadia etc.

Ben

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Ruined your life? Some sort of accident? I’m complete ambivalent towards fireworks, big load of nothing as far as I’m concerned , but many enjoy them so I’d be against a ban, just wondering why you are so against them?

One of my dogs has some severe physical injuries that physically hurt when she tenses and hears loud noises and so she is completely petrified of fireworks to the point where we have to go away for a fortnight in November every year and now have to start going away for New Year as the medication we were given for New Year didn't work at all. 

However because people set them off pretty much all the time now she gets so scared come Winter that we effectively can't really leave her at night and somebody setting some off will basically mean she spends at least a week on high alert terrified even to go into the garden for a wee. Basically people would be better off coming around to kick my dogs a few times rather than setting them off because that is the effect it has on her. 

In the past 3 years we have spent over £30k on her medical bills (thankfully insured for some but not all of it) and probably £10k more on firework avoiding holidays, medications etc. It doesn't give us a lot of time or disposable income to a lot else. 

Interestingly at Glastonbury a flame from a firework at Foo fighters did burn a hole in my jacket as well. If I hadn't noticed it and put it out straightaway it could have caused more damage.  

In spite of everything I don't want to ban them either. I'm against banning things in general but I do think that the rules around letting them off and the noise levels should be much stricter. I think that you should have to apply for a public licence and they should be listed so that people can see when and where any public displays are going to be happening. I also think from an environmental point of view it would be nice if people came to the conclusion themselves that they are just a bad thing. Have seen some impressive drone lights shows and I sincerely hope these take off. I just don't think anyone enjoys fireworks enough for it to be worth the level I have had to curtail my life. 

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

That's the problem with literally, isn't it?

It quite literally isn't burning money. Unless the fireworks are manufactured from £50 notes etc.

😄

Ben

You hand over money in exchange for something you set fire to. Close enough for me pedant.

24 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

One of my dogs has some severe physical injuries that physically hurt when she tenses and hears loud noises and so she is completely petrified of fireworks to the point where we have to go away for a fortnight in November every year and now have to start going away for New Year as the medication we were given for New Year didn't work at all. 

However because people set them off pretty much all the time now she gets so scared come Winter that we effectively can't really leave her at night and somebody setting some off will basically mean she spends at least a week on high alert terrified even to go into the garden for a wee. Basically people would be better off coming around to kick my dogs a few times rather than setting them off because that is the effect it has on her. 

In the past 3 years we have spent over £30k on her medical bills (thankfully insured for some but not all of it) and probably £10k more on firework avoiding holidays, medications etc. It doesn't give us a lot of time or disposable income to a lot else. 

Interestingly at Glastonbury a flame from a firework at Foo fighters did burn a hole in my jacket as well. If I hadn't noticed it and put it out straightaway it could have caused more damage.  

In spite of everything I don't want to ban them either. I'm against banning things in general but I do think that the rules around letting them off and the noise levels should be much stricter. I think that you should have to apply for a public licence and they should be listed so that people can see when and where any public displays are going to be happening. I also think from an environmental point of view it would be nice if people came to the conclusion themselves that they are just a bad thing. Have seen some impressive drone lights shows and I sincerely hope these take off. I just don't think anyone enjoys fireworks enough for it to be worth the level I have had to curtail my life. 

Man, feel for you. Poor dog. Been lucky with mine , first few years not even a bark. Great point on knowing where they are going to be.

24 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Have seen some impressive drone lights shows and I sincerely hope these take off. 

Ok that I had a little giggle at this sentence 😃

Edited by fred quimby

1 minute ago, fred quimby said:

Man, feel for you. Poor dog. Been lucky with mine , first few years not even a bark. Great point on knowing where they are going to be.

Ok that I had a little giggle at this sentence 

Hope you continue to be lucky every new years eve I am tortured by a smug post I made about how lucky we were that she didn't care less about them as she lay on a rug at midnight looking out on them. Now she currently looks like a patchwork dog as she's just had her first course of regenerative stem cell treatment to try and reverse some of the damage she has (which we have to travel to Scotland to get) but even a vet behaviourist aid she will never cope with fireworks. At her worst she became so noise sensitive that us closing our front door would make her to scared to walk. She shakes/drools etc so much if we are surprised by fireworks that every time I worry she might die of a heart attack. 

Good to end a miserable post on something that people can giggle at even if it was completely unintentional. 😄