2023 legend slot

ProperTea

58 minutes ago, kalifire said:

But not in this direction!

I calculated the distance between the Pyramid stage and the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) where the AFL Grand Final took place is a total of 10,613 miles. Somewhere as far away from both points puts Robbie somewhere at the bottom of the South Pacific ocean off the coast of Chile, which seems a bit harsh, but would spare us Rock DJ.

He can take his pal Celina with him, and entertain the penguins with My Way.

E9694750-D120-46FE-A405-12EF7D2CE77B.jpeg

42 minutes ago, castlecaryquery said:

Saw Robbie at the O2 arena last night. Hadn't listened to him for a while but his music in 1998-2002 was a big part of my youth so thought I'd go along. 

After that experience, I couldn't imagine an artist better suited for the legend slot (or even somewhere on the bill on the pyramid in the afternoon). The crowd was surprisingly wild throughout the show (particularly opening with Let Me Entertain You which goes off). His crowd engagement is hard to beat. His band was great, his dancers were great. Very few lulls in the setlist, and if he cut out 30-45 mins for Glastonbury it would be rammed with singalongs. 

Plus it seems like he really wants to do Glastonbury, so would go all out/want to make it memorable. 

He even spoke about his first time at Glastonbury and did a cover of Don't Look Back in Anger as a tribute to the lads he hung out with there (not sure how they'd feel about that). 

Anyway, not sure why all the hate or why a legend still has to be in retirement age to be considered appropriate for the slot. 

THIS

GUY

GETS

IT

On 10/7/2022 at 9:21 AM, Padjeq said:

Mark Owen was talking about Take That doing it in an interview last week. Robbie's got to beat Gary to it.

word i've heard is that Barlow isn't interested, and that Barlow is the boss.

51 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Without looking in to it, I had a thought about two I think could be a decent shout:

Bon Jovi

Bryan Adams

I’ve not gone through the thread to see if they’ve been debunked etc. 

Both would be excellent from a party vibe. Not sure the former would bother. A little surprised the latter hasn't been around already.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:58 PM, castlecaryquery said:

Anyway, not sure why all the hate or why a legend still has to be in retirement age to be considered appropriate for the slot. 

Whether there's a suggestion in this legend thread or the one for headliners there will always be an amount of robust debate. 

People are impassioned and they each have preferences of things they would like to see.  Personally I saw him play when he was last there, it didn't really do it for me and that already included the tunes I wanted to see, so it's one I'd give a miss - plenty of other things for me to see if it came to pass though.

On 10/10/2022 at 12:58 PM, castlecaryquery said:

Saw Robbie at the O2 arena last night. Hadn't listened to him for a while but his music in 1998-2002 was a big part of my youth so thought I'd go along. 

After that experience, I couldn't imagine an artist better suited for the legend slot (or even somewhere on the bill on the pyramid in the afternoon). The crowd was surprisingly wild throughout the show (particularly opening with Let Me Entertain You which goes off). His crowd engagement is hard to beat. His band was great, his dancers were great. Very few lulls in the setlist, and if he cut out 30-45 mins for Glastonbury it would be rammed with singalongs. 

Plus it seems like he really wants to do Glastonbury, so would go all out/want to make it memorable. 

He even spoke about his first time at Glastonbury and did a cover of Don't Look Back in Anger as a tribute to the lads he hung out with there (not sure how they'd feel about that). 

Because he's fucking shit.

Saw Roxy Music in Manchester last night - Bryan Ferry’s voice isn’t what it was either (whose is at that age?), but the band and backing singers make up for it. The band itself was on fine form - the first half of the set was mainly album tracks and fan favourites before a string of hits. They would have to drop some of the former for a legends slot to work (but keep in the likes of Ladytron and In Every Dream Home a Heartache. Thankfully Virginia Plain was present and correct, having been missing from the US setlists.

F46852CB-1C6F-4D17-987E-3E36A8552BBA.jpeg

23 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Saw Roxy Music in Manchester last night - Bryan Ferry’s voice isn’t what it was either (whose is at that age?), but the band and backing singers make up for it. The band itself was on fine form - the first half of the set was mainly album tracks and fan favourites before a string of hits. They would have to drop some of the former for a legends slot to work (but keep in the likes of Ladytron and In Every Dream Home a Heartache. Thankfully Virginia Plain was present and correct, having been missing from the US setlists.

Yes, I was there too. Spent half the time trying to work out if they'd be a good legend slot. To be honest I'm not so sure. I really like the band, the gig was as good as I could have expected, but they'd be a different proposition to what we've been accustomed to in recent years.  bit more audience communication needed for one thing, and certainly the (brilliant) album cuts wouldn't work as you rightly say. I did several video clips but I won't share as the sound seems really poor to my surprise, and the singing variable. 

image00003.jpeg

3 hours ago, Avalon_Fields said:

Yes, I was there too. Spent half the time trying to work out if they'd be a good legend slot. To be honest I'm not so sure. I really like the band, the gig was as good as I could have expected, but they'd be a different proposition to what we've been accustomed to in recent years.  bit more audience communication needed for one thing, and certainly the (brilliant) album cuts wouldn't work as you rightly say. I did several video clips but I won't share as the sound seems really poor to my surprise, and the singing variable. 

image00003.jpeg

I said to Mrs b on the way out that they’d be better off headlining the Other Stage or WH rather than be exposed to the expectation of a late afternoon legends crowd. I think they can pull it off though, but they’d have to come up with a festival setlist, maybe bring back in the likes of Street Life and Angel Eyes and sack off The Bogus Man etc

Not talking about 2023 here, just in general, but does anyone think that Garth Brooks could do the legend slot one year?

I'm not saying I'd want to be there, and I'm not saying it would be to everyone's taste, but with the pool of potential legends naturally getting smaller, and with names like Robbie Williams now being touted on here, I'm just trying to think about people with a genuinely huge fan base who aren't typical headline material, but who could draw a huge crowd.

Just a thought...

13 minutes ago, km9 said:

Not talking about 2023 here, just in general, but does anyone think that Garth Brooks could do the legend slot one year?

I'm not saying I'd want to be there, and I'm not saying it would be to everyone's taste, but with the pool of potential legends naturally getting smaller, and with names like Robbie Williams now being touted on here, I'm just trying to think about people with a genuinely huge fan base who aren't typical headline material, but who could draw a huge crowd.

Just a thought...

No

7 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

No

Is the correct answer.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a competition on here to see who can suggest the most boring/annoying/ridiculous bands/artists.

I'd rather listen to Garth Crooks

Edited by Skip997

I actually think Robbie William would be a very good  booking in the Legends slot. I wouldn’t be there, but it would go down well and people would enjoy it.

Just meant to be a big singalong, think people on here take it too seriously.

I didn’t even realise Diana was bad until I watched it back the following day, had a great time signing along to bangers with pals.

Slander of that Kylie set by someone above tho, it and she was great. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Is the correct answer.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a competition on here to see who can suggest the most boring/annoying/ridiculous bands/artists.

I'd rather listen to Garth Crooks

Ha ha, I didn't say I thought he should, but with the way that spot seems to shift around it wouldn't surprise me if they brought in another country singer, and among country fans he's huge