Site Changes - What do we know?

stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

And not surprisingly it was the same complainants 😞 

It’s a big cow shed in a field next to a farm that’s needed to accommodate the Eavis cows. Can’t see why the objections.  It’s not as if it’s another festival stage being build, the barn stage for country and western acts  😉

The Downlow has plenty of space to expand the dancefloor within, seems a decent area to the left inside the tent was unutilised again last festival.

Plenty of space within the field that it could push out into aswell, without taking up much room, could add a few hundred too the capacity withiut ruining the experiance, the Meat Locker (was it called that) in the back could pretty much double in size if they got a bigger portion of the field.

7 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

A friend of mine says they skip headliners to guarantee they get in. I didn't manage to get in last time on any day. I think it's also because world famous DJs want to do sets there as well. The queue for The Blessed Madonna was ridiculous in 2019. Thankfully its Glastonbury and there's so much to do but I felt for the people who stuck it out for like 4 hours waiting...

We are planning on skipping the headliners one night to go to the nyc downlow

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It’s a big cow shed in a field next to a farm that’s needed to accommodate the Eavis cows. Can’t see why the objections.  It’s not as if it’s another festival stage being build, the barn stage for country and western acts  😉

It would make a cracking barn conversion one day though! 

3 hours ago, lukemack said:

The Downlow has plenty of space to expand the dancefloor within, seems a decent area to the left inside the tent was unutilised again last festival.

Plenty of space within the field that it could push out into aswell, without taking up much room, could add a few hundred too the capacity withiut ruining the experiance, the Meat Locker (was it called that) in the back could pretty much double in size if they got a bigger portion of the field.

What do you mean unutilised? 😄

25 minutes ago, stuie said:

What do you mean unutilised? 😄

😆maybe not the best term of phrase, but theres a decent amount of space within the tent thats not the dancefloor, and the musics not played directly to, over the years its had seats of various types or just been left as a sort of empty space/chill out bit, the dancefloor coukd be expanded that way with changing or adding the speaker set ups etc

7 hours ago, blutarsky said:

You could maybe have a venue named in honour of a gay Icon - Garland's? 

Bring back Liverpool's first, and celebrated, gay bar! 

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/stories/theres-no-place-garlands 

For anyone who never went, as a straight male it was an absolute challenge to get past the doormen into Garlands but it was a brilliant club!

Edited by vintagelaureate

56 minutes ago, lukemack said:

😆maybe not the best term of phrase, but theres a decent amount of space within the tent thats not the dancefloor, and the musics not played directly to, over the years its had seats of various types or just been left as a sort of empty space/chill out bit, the dancefloor coukd be expanded that way with changing or adding the speaker set ups etc

Ah, I thought you were referring to the dark room 😂

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

Bring back Liverpool's first, and celebrated, gay bar! 

https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/stories/theres-no-place-garlands 

For anyone who never went, as a straight male it was an absolute challenge to get past the doormen into Garlands but it was a brilliant club!

Only went the once but was great. The group we were in was a mix of gay and straight so managed to get in OK. 

11 hours ago, ProperTea said:

One way of spreading out the crowds a bit would be to open another LGBT venue. There's clearly demand for it.

Would be great to have something in Silver Hayes. Wilderness Festival had an LGBT venue which had a great lineup of events and cabaret throughout the day then great music at night. Its good to see festivals catering to that more now

12 hours ago, ProperTea said:

One way of spreading out the crowds a bit would be to open another LGBT venue. There's clearly demand for it.

That depends, a bit, on whether the demand is for "a" LGBT venue, or for this specific LGBT venue.

I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect that the venue itself and the reputation it's built up is at least part of the attraction, as the queues didn't used to be nearly as long.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

That depends, a bit, on whether the demand is for "a" LGBT venue, or for this specific LGBT venue.

I don't know the answer to that, but I suspect that the venue itself and the reputation it's built up is at least part of the attraction, as the queues didn't used to be nearly as long.

Hard agree

41 minutes ago, incident said:

Demand for LGBT/queer themed programming has I think increased over the last few years. Based off the increase in large scale festival style LGBT events selling out. Mighty Hoopla (25k), Homobloc (10k), Brighton Pride (40kish in the park), Manchester Pride Live (10k). 

As someone said Wilderness had a queer themed tent, BoomTown were slated to have a stage as well in 2020.

Then there's all the disco/house collectives that have emerged recently e.g. My Little Gay Brother, Glitterbox, Horse Meat disco, Homoelectric etc etc

If any of them had a stage or a night of programming on a stage it would comfortably draw a sizeable crowd, and I think there's enough demand that it might not really split out much of the NYC Downlow crowd. 

So it's a bit of both of your question, yes NYCDL has built an incredible reputation but also club culture is shifting and there's increased demand for this type of programming.

Edited by Leyrulion
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

Demand for LGBT/queer themed programming has I think increased over the last few years. Based off the increase in large scale festival style LGBT events selling out. Mighty Hoopla (25k), Homobloc (10k), Brighton Pride (40kish in the park), Manchester Pride Live (10k). 

As someone said Wilderness had a queer themed tent, BoomTown were slated to have a stage as well in 2020.

Then there's all the disco/house collectives that have emerged recently e.g. My Little Gay Brother, Glitterbox, Horse Meat disco, Homoelectric etc etc

If any of them had a stage or a night of programming on a stage it would comfortably draw a sizeable crowd, and I think there's enough demand that it might not really split out much of the NYC Downlow crowd. 

So it's a bit of both of your question, yes NYCDL has built an incredible reputation but also club culture is shifting and there's increased demand for this type of programming.

I went with about 10 gay mates in 2019 and none of us went to NYC Downlow because we couldn't be arsed with the queues. And this is from someone that loves the Downlow and was there the night it opened in 2007. Doesn't feel as much a queer space anymore as a "everyone has to go here to tick it off of their bucket list" type place. I guess it's the same debate people have about Prides becoming pop concerts and attracting more and more cishets, or those Canal Street bars full of hen doos.

Edited by ProperTea
  • Upvote 1

On 2/16/2022 at 1:00 PM, Leyrulion said:

Stick Luke Unabomber on ICON with a mega phone. Would pack the fiend out. What’s this. 

1 hour ago, Wanderlei said:

Do you think covid will deter people from heading to the rammed enclosed places, or is everyone past that now?

One thing I hope not to see is anything Covid related from the festival, not in the SEC or anywhere else. Keep the politics of the festival and those areas alive, but I really don't wanna be seeing posters or material about the vaccines or masks or anything like that. Whilst I get the 'recharge your activism' aspect of Glastonbury, I really want anything to do with Covid left at the gate. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

One thing I hope not to see is anything Covid related from the festival, not in the SEC or anywhere else. Keep the politics of the festival and those areas alive, but I really don't wanna be seeing posters or material about the vaccines or masks or anything like that. Whilst I get the 'recharge your activism' aspect of Glastonbury, I really want anything to do with Covid left at the gate. 

Amen. Fuck Covid.