Site Changes - What do we know?

stuartbert two hats

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

both would be my guess or we get an injection of creativity into whats currently there 

tbf, I can't remember a year without an injection of creativity down there but I expect the areas to remain broadly the same.  Perhaps, NYC Downlow will have a year off if Covid is still prevalent but I'm not even sure that would happen due to it's niche offering. 

4 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Forgive me for possibly asking a stupid question but what was in the field that housed IICON in 2019 prior to that in 2017?

I can't recall....

Glasto Latino...

It was all shifted down a bit to create Block 9 East I think they called it. 

In 2017 London Underground was in front of NYCDL and Genosys further to the right, closer to where iicon was in 2019. 

49 minutes ago, stuie said:

In the sense of layout or the crews running the place? 

I could possibly see Glasto Latino going but Block9 is confirmed and I think The Common, Shangri-La and UFG will all be present still. 

Glasto Latino was moved out to the corner of West Holts (blocking the cut thru to Avalon) in 2019

2 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Glasto Latino was moved out to the corner of West Holts (blocking the cut thru to Avalon) in 2019

Ah yes, I've just had a vague recollection of doing some kind of group dance class there on the Wednesday!  😂

5 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Yes I went into it and did some salsa dancing whilst waiting for a mate to finish his shift on a bar inbetween the glade and WH at about 2am one night!

10 minutes ago, stuie said:

Glasto Latino...

It was all shifted down a bit to create Block 9 East I think they called it. 

In 2017 London Underground was in front of NYCDL and Genosys further to the right, closer to where iicon was in 2019. 

oh yes i keep forgetting it was officially called block 9 east and not 'The IICON field' 😄

I don't remember any real late-night crowd problems last time round so I'd say the reshuffle worked perfectly. They've now got one data point for how big they can go on IICON so they'll ramp it up (only slightly) if they want to. 

FWIW I think the likes of Hessle Audio would get a far bigger crowd now than they would have even 3 years ago due to the increased popularity of dance music so it might just naturally balance out. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

does anyone else think that the Pangea field was rammed ? I thought it was nicely busy with no crowd issues although I didnt go right in the middle  but the access was quite congested around the railway line 

Tip from me is go to the path as if you're going towards Cinemageddon...usually a bit more room around there.

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

does anyone else think that the Pangea field was rammed ? I thought it was nicely busy with no crowd issues although I didnt go right in the middle  but the access was quite congested around the railway line 

Didn't got there a huge amount but on the Sunday I was there at what I guess would be peak time and it was alright. I mean the field was busy but not rammed. No issues with getting in and out or paths being blocked etc.

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

i came in on the Friday night / Sat morning (heads a little blurry on the time) it was absolutly fine

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think they did a good job spreading the late night activity across the whole site in 2019. I definitely didn't encounter the overcrowding issues I'd experienced the few years before, particularly walking through the SEC. The crowd levels at Pangea seemed consistently sensible, too.

44 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

i went in and drank some mojito's whilst watching people salsa dancing

I made a complete arse of myself in Glasto Latino trying to salsa in wellies, the mud of 2016. Even the professional on stage was shaking her head in disbelief watching, especially since Mrs C had slipped away in total embarrassment. 

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I made a complete arse of myself in Glasto Latino trying to salsa in wellies, the mud of 2016. Even the professional on stage was shaking her head in disbelief watching, especially since Mrs C had slipped away in total embarrassment. 

Can I use you as a distraction if I have a go … I’ll put my hat on you just so I can go  undercover untill I trip someone up or trip over myself 

On Saturday 2019 I went from the Pyramid mid-Killers to front and centre Other for the Chems using the interstage cut through, then up to Pangea after the CHems to see FBS b2b Eats Everything from the Tow and Hitch viewing platform, then straight to SEC and the IIcon field - no congestion anywhere. 

4 hours ago, blutarsky said:

There were plenty of queues for NYC Downlow - we turned up there hoping to get in 2/3 times but the queue was unreal so didn't bother and went to Maceos instead.

IIcon was fairly busy at midnight Saturday but it did look sparse the other times I went past. 

Oh yeah, places within the SE corner had queues like NYC and temple but not to actually get into it, despite thee being barriers for it.

I think IIcon did what it was designed to do and meant there wasn’t a queue to get in to the SEC which was much better for some although that queue always moved rapidly anyway, personally I thought the sound was a bit rubbish and the whole concept of the moving person/head wasn’t that impressive but I expect it will stay the same.

I enjoyed the new waterfall/cave area can’t remember what that was called and thought the Unfairground was better than previously but I can’t really say why.

I should probably add I have little to no knowledge of who plays at this time of night, not my scene at all but still spend at least 2 nights there most festivals and love it.

9 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

I know it's iconic but after 15 years maybe it's time to say goodbye to NYC Downlow and replace it with a new concept, the queues to get in are absolutely horrifffff... but equally that's part of the appeal I suppose.

I have a feeling it may have a year off if the festival stick to more covid safe venues but long term, I don't see NYC Downlow going anywhere.  It's made Block 9 really and aside from being massively popular for all, it's a big part of a gay Glasto. 

Edited by stuie