Site Changes - What do we know?

stuartbert two hats

The spider is great and all, but how many times do you realistically want to keep seeing it? The main stages all gradually evolve and change, the crane might not be as good now but I’d rather things were changed up regularly. You could probably say the same about some of the things in the SE corner, they’re fantastic in isolation, but do you really want them trotted out every year ad Infinitum? Obviously you can’t change everything at once, but I think something that’s been around for 10+ years should be looked at as being replaceable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The spider is great and all, but how many times do you realistically want to keep seeing it? The main stages all gradually evolve and change, the crane might not be as good now but I’d rather things were changed up regularly. You could probably say the same about some of the things in the SE corner, they’re fantastic in isolation, but do you really want them trotted out every year ad Infinitum? Obviously you can’t change everything at once, but I think something that’s been around for 10+ years should be looked at as being replaceable.

Very sensible and completely true, but there were several hundred things I’d have fucked with before the spider… Is there anything off limits to change? Pyramid stage? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

Very sensible and completely true, but there were several hundred things I’d have fucked with before the spider… Is there anything off limits to change? Pyramid stage? 

I think the pyramid stage is completely off limits as it’s so iconic, although that’s not to say they couldn’t remake it larger, or change it somehow but keeping the same shape. Everything else as good as it might be I think needs to have some sort of shelf life.

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I think the pyramid stage is completely off limits as it’s so iconic, although that’s not to say they couldn’t remake it larger, or change it somehow but keeping the same shape. Everything else as good as it might be I think needs to have some sort of shelf life.

👍 

9 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’ve just heard that the crane will be replaced by the spider this year … 

I posted this a few weeks back - the planning was refused for the crane, as was the appeal. Yes, the base is still there at the moment but what’s the point in it ‘evolving’ for one more festival? 

Also, Arcadia team are working on another project that they are calling their ‘new roots’ and while it looks smaller scale it might have guided their Glastonbury decisions.

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I posted this a few weeks back - the planning was refused for the crane, as was the appeal. Yes, the base is still there at the moment but what’s the point in it ‘evolving’ for one more festival? 

Also, Arcadia team are working on another project that they are calling their ‘new roots’ and while it looks smaller scale it might have guided their Glastonbury decisions.

Wasn’t it just refused for them to leave most of it up permanently? Nothing to stop them having it up during the festival, it just has to mostly be taken down at the end of it. Not ideal but equally it doesn’t make it unviable.

1 minute ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Wasn’t it just refused for them to leave most of it up permanently? Nothing to stop them having it up during the festival, it just has to mostly be taken down at the end of it. Not ideal but equally it doesn’t make it unviable.

looking at the cost in the electronic thread it makes it pretty unviable 

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

apologies i missed that ... and yep you are right 

5 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes, Arcadia say themselves in the planning documents that full installation and removal is too costly for this method to be viable.

16 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

The only things they might want to touch being the view screens in that field or the travel routes through the back during busy periods, which was actually officially noted in the 2019 review for the council- so expect that may change.

22 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

And the tree directly behind the pyramid is of great significance to the Eavis family. 

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Yes, Arcadia say themselves in the planning documents that full installation and removal is too costly for this method to be viable.

Seems a bit strange, it’s not like the spider doesn’t have to be assembled and reassembled either which presumably has a cost attached to it as well. The worlds gone mad if it costs £300k to assemble an old crane.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

The only things they might want to touch being the view screens in that field or the travel routes through the back during busy periods, which was actually officially noted in the 2019 review for the council- so expect that may change.

It’s hard to see how they could improve the latter given the geography of the site. If they can find a way though that would be great. Flow of people through the Pyramid field is a mess… maybe some sort of one way system? Tricky not to create more problems than it solves though. 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Seems a bit strange, it’s not like the spider doesn’t have to be assembled and reassembled either which presumably has a cost attached to it as well. The worlds gone mad if it costs £300k to assemble an old crane.

I’m not sure. The crane must involve cutting and welding I guess.  The spider is just a free standing structure, not anchored into the ground. 

41 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Have a read of the 300+ pages or the second planning document.
It's the 'ARCADIA REPORT'.

https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=Q6YWYWKPL7T00

£265,000 to put it up and take it down in one year. Costs include staff, multiple cranes to assemble/dissemble, plus and probably one of the key points of needing re-commissioning and re-certification each year, so they are legally compliant.

Edited by Dukeicon

10 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/files/F70FE26924D52FBD0BD57A8EDAEC8274/pdf/2020_0548_FUL-ARCADIA_REPORT-392661.pdf

£265,000 to put it up and take it down in one year. Costs include staff, multiple cranes to assemble/dissemble, plus and probably one of the key points of needing re-commissioning and re-certification each year, so they are legally compliant.

Any idea how much it costs to put up the spider?

11 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

https://publicaccess.mendip.gov.uk/online-applications/files/F70FE26924D52FBD0BD57A8EDAEC8274/pdf/2020_0548_FUL-ARCADIA_REPORT-392661.pdf

The link doesn’t work, but presumably if you’re trying to win planning argument, then the cost of not getting your own way will be somewhat inflated as a means to win such argument?