The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

On 5/17/2022 at 3:12 PM, Toilet Duck said:

Glorious would be pushing it a bit. Scorcher on Wed, drizzle Wed night, overcast, dry and mild for the rest of festival (so perfect festie weather really, but not exactly glorious!). On the other hand, if it's been like that for 4 years in a row, maybe this is what weather is like at the end of June now! I am a blind optimist mind you!...#thereisapattern

2017 was my 3rd festival, the other 2 being 2007 and 2016, compared to those 2017 was glorious.😁😁

4 minutes ago, Smeble said:

2017 was my 3rd festival, the other 2 being 2007 and 2016, compared to those 2017 was glorious.😁😁

Jaysus, fair play to you for coming back! ‘07 broke me…took a year out after it and went to Werchter instead! Third time lucky eh? 😁

3 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Jaysus, fair play to you for coming back! ‘07 broke me…took a year out after it and went to Werchter instead! Third time lucky eh? 😁

2007 was defo impacted by the weather but the sound, lineup and general entertainment at the festival were all poor that year. Post Lost Vagueness, pre SE corner. Defo a watershed year. Everything changed in the couple of years after

But yeah...51560?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signat

23 minutes ago, The Nal said:

2007 was defo impacted by the weather but the sound, lineup and general entertainment at the festival were all poor that year. Post Lost Vagueness, pre SE corner. Defo a watershed year. Everything changed in the couple of years after

Weirdly, when I think back on some of my favourite sets, they are from ‘07. John Fogerty of course, but Friday was great, Modest Mouse, Bright Eyes, SFA, Arcade Fire and then I skipped Bjork and spent the night in leftfield watching Jim Bob and Ned’s Atomic Dustbin…probably one of the best days of music I’ve had at the festival. Did wander through the end of the Killers en route somewhere else and it sounded appalling (U2-esque in terms of the sound) but ‘07 was the only year I didn’t see a single act on the pyramid all weekend (I tried to watch The Who but gave up and went into the acoustic instead as it was indoors and close to the CV field)…but it was such a freezing cold, wet slog all week I just needed a break after it. 

35 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Topic drift, but WTF was up with the screens back then? From that photo it looks like they were behind the gantries for the speaker stacks?! Can’t make sense of it. 🤔

6 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

Topic drift, but WTF was up with the screens back then? From that photo it looks like they were behind the gantries for the speaker stacks?! Can’t make sense of it. 🤔

It might have been due to wind and rain they lowered them but then again I have tried to forget 2007 - it was rain and mud from Thursday to Sunday- left Sunday morning as had had enough that year

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Someone has created a Glastonbury weather website. The site looks nice but the current forecast could be better.

https://glastoweather.uk/

Nice handy reference but I want to know their credentials. Where are they getting their weather information from? 

Met Office👍 Met Check 🫡 The Nal 🤯

24 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

They look like they are on the back of a van rather than being attached to the goalpost. 

2 minutes ago, jonnyisRFC said:

I know it’s early days, but from a personal perspective I couldn’t pick better weather than that if I tried! 

058EB644-85CC-4793-AE41-3F392E564F9C.jpeg

Absolutely not, thunderstorms on the Wednesday and Thursday are a big no thanks for me! Those are the days it’s most important that it’s dry!

I’d take the forecast for the previous week 14th - 18th though 😂

June starting to come into focus now. Not looking good.

20 days of rain in June forecast 😔

Capture.png

https://www.weather25.com/europe/united-kingdom/somerset/taunton?page=long-range

Big battle between northern low pressure and southern high pressure in the next few weeks. 

https://www.bbc.com/weather/outlook

Other scenarios become increasingly possible across the last week of the report. One would be if low pressure is deeper and further south across Scandinavia. The Atlantic high is favoured further south-west. This is a cooler, wetter and windier pattern. We estimate the risk of a significantly different pattern is 40%.

33 minutes ago, The Nal said:

June starting to come into focus now. Not looking good.

20 days of rain in June forecast 😔

Capture.png

https://www.weather25.com/europe/united-kingdom/somerset/taunton?page=long-range

Big battle between northern low pressure and southern high pressure in the next few weeks. 

https://www.bbc.com/weather/outlook

Other scenarios become increasingly possible across the last week of the report. One would be if low pressure is deeper and further south across Scandinavia. The Atlantic high is favoured further south-west. This is a cooler, wetter and windier pattern. We estimate the risk of a significantly different pattern is 40%.

long range forecast for Taunton?  not even within 20 miles, out in the flatlands .....

42 minutes ago, The Nal said:

"Other scenarios become increasingly possible across the last week of the report. One would be if low pressure is deeper and further south across Scandinavia. The Atlantic high is favoured further south-west. This is a cooler, wetter and windier pattern. We estimate the risk of a significantly different pattern is 40%."

This is the bit to focus on!