The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

On 5/3/2022 at 8:32 PM, 4AssedMonkey said:

Yep. 2011 was wetter than an otters pocket.  Think the Sunday was nice though?

2011 was grim.  Pissed it down not long after the gates opened (10am ish I think?) - I got soaked right through walking to where we wanted to camp. It dried out a bit and the afternoon was ok.  Then Friday was pretty awful, U2 played in an absolute monsoon.. but yeah Saturday with sun out as Elbow rocked up was rather bliss.  Sunday was damn hot and thus mud became clay/sticky shit which is really hard going. 

Once of my friends has never been back since going that year

2 minutes ago, tumbles said:

2011 was grim.  Pissed it down not long after the gates opened (10am ish I think?) - I got soaked right through walking to where we wanted to camp. It dried out a bit and the afternoon was ok.  Then Friday was pretty awful, U2 played in an absolute monsoon.. but yeah Saturday with sun out as Elbow rocked up was rather bliss.  Sunday was damn hot and thus mud became clay/sticky shit which is really hard going. 

Once of my friends has never been back since going that year

I can recall it raining when we were in the queue at PGC mid-morning and then when we were trying to set up it rained again, one of my friends went off to the toilet mid putting his tent up and it started to rain, by the time he came back 5 mins later there was already a puddle in it, which wasn't a good start to the weekend! 😄 

11 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Forecasts are largely shite more than a few days out and are completely nonsense 2 weeks out, not sure there’s much value in looking at them for 2 months time. 

And yet here he is browsing the weather thread 😄 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, tumbles said:

Then Friday was pretty awful, U2 played

That Friday rain was something else.  I was working on the bar between the Other Stage and Pyramid and had to run like a man possessed to get to DJ Shadow at JP.  I ended up only taking a few steps because I pretty much slipped the entire way.  Yet somehow, I didn't fall over.  Probably my proudest moment of that festival.

Weather wise, it was probably the worst one of the '10s, especially after a scorcher of the year previous.

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

And yet here he is browsing the weather thread 😄 

Ha, even though I know that any forecast for Glasto now is essentially worthless, I still can't help but check it every few days.

Only a few more weeks to go until we're in range for the gfs runs and when we all get a crash course in weather terms!

1 minute ago, BambooShanks said:

That Friday rain was something else.  I was working on the bar between the Other Stage and Pyramid and had to run like a man possessed to get to DJ Shadow at JP.  I ended up only taking a few steps because I pretty much slipped the entire way.  Yet somehow, I didn't fall over.  Probably my proudest moment of that festival.

Weather wise, it was probably the worst one of the '10s, especially after a scorcher of the year previous.

Ha, even though I know that any forecast for Glasto now is essentially worthless, I still can't help but check it every few days.

Only a few more weeks to go until we're in range for the gfs runs and when we all get a crash course in weather terms!

Yes we all know that they are not accurate even on the day sometimes but it's part of the build up and endless speculation that we enjoy. 

Dear friends. I truly hate to break it to you - but *every* time I've been, it's been a wet one. It's become a massive in-joke with my friends - so much as being offered money *not* to go one year, to guarantee sun. 

Suffice to say - I've a ticket for this year, so you may wish to stock up on good waterproofs.....

Just now, David_303 said:

Dear friends. I truly hate to break it to you - but *every* time I've been, it's been a wet one. It's become a massive in-joke with my friends - so much as being offered money *not* to go one year, to guarantee sun. 

Suffice to say - I've a ticket for this year, so you may wish to stock up on good waterproofs.....

Forum is willing to do a whip round to keep you out. Thanks

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes we all know that they are not accurate even on the day sometimes but it's part of the build up and endless speculation that we enjoy. 

I remember in 2019 the rain radar app I use had a sudden green (heavy) blob of rain coming up from Devon on the Thursday afternoon.. mass panic!

2 minutes ago, tumbles said:

I remember in 2019 the rain radar app I use had a sudden green (heavy) blob of rain coming up from Devon on the Thursday afternoon.. mass panic!

I actually have such happy memories of reading (being part of) the hysteria that engulfed this thread when the 2019 weather forecast changed from swamp to drought just like that 

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes we all know that they are not accurate even on the day sometimes but it's part of the build up and endless speculation that we enjoy

There's nothing quite like the feeling of absolute despair seeing a forecast of torrential rain only for the next one to be positively Saharan 

17 hours ago, rosieangel said:

I actually have such happy memories of reading (being part of) the hysteria that engulfed this thread when the 2019 weather forecast changed from swamp to drought just like that 

I think it was just only a few days to go before the festival right? Mass panic, followed by an eruption of joy.

It shows how pointless speculating far in advance is, as it all keeps changing. Ultimately every type of weather is predicted at some point, but you only end up with one set of weather in the end. but following the twists and turns of the predictions is all part of the drama

18 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Forecasts are largely shite more than a few days out and are completely nonsense 2 weeks out, not sure there’s much value in looking at them for 2 months time. 

That Sign Can't Stop Me Because I Can't Read | Know Your Meme

18 hours ago, rosieangel said:

I was on site on the Tuesday in 2019 and it hammered it down with rain that night as me and a few others were in the SE Corner crew bars....luckily that was the last of any rain I saw that weekend!

I can't beleive this thread has sunk down to page 3! 

Looking at Accuweather for Shepton Mallet this morning and its all looking rather good at the moment, say it quietly but only some thunder and rain on Wednesday night and wall to wall sun from then on. Obvs sure to change though. 😛

The only accurate weekly, on the ground, weather report is here:

*20.9°C at 1.23pm

*74% humidity 

20220508_132234.thumb.jpg.fe53e232f955f27e7059df7dd19970c9.jpg

*White fluffy clouds overhead

* Miss Pat, the weather vane is having a very lazy day

* the well is dryer than Ghandi's flip flop.

* the RAM jam jar is empty

20220508_133033.thumb.jpg.28770f05cea103db6e352f37086d8a26.jpg

Edited by deebeedoobee
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

The only accurate weekly, on the ground, weather report is here:

*20.9°C at 1.23pm

*74% humidity 

20220508_132234.thumb.jpg.fe53e232f955f27e7059df7dd19970c9.jpg

*White fluffy clouds overhead

* Miss Pat, the weather vane is having a very lazy day

* the well is dryer than Ghandi's flip flop.

* the RAM jam jar is empty

20220508_133033.thumb.jpg.28770f05cea103db6e352f37086d8a26.jpg

I can confirm my flip flops are very dry 😁

• Upvote 1