The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

21 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

My first was '98, that was definitely the worst for me. I see people say 2011 and 2016 were bad but compared to '98 they were nothing.

I sometimes think it was good to go to one at which the weather was so bad as my first as I don't really mind the mud now, it's never been as bad (at ones i've been to) as that first one was. Think about the whole festival only being able to walk along the metal trackways in the market areas as the water/mud was at least ankle deep everywhere else and when standing watching a band you had to constantly lift your legs up to pull them out of the mud so that they didn't get permanently stuck there.   

2011 is saved (ish) by the fact that other than Friday, we didn't get rained on much (at all?) on the final two days, and the site had more or less dried up fully by Sunday, which was actively roasting.

But it is most definitely down there for worst years weather-wise.

From memory, 2014 was pretty miserable. Lots of rain during the day and overnight, an electrical storm on Friday shutting down a bunch of stages. Just when the site felt like it might start to dry out, it would rain again and set everything back.

Ey up, could we be back on? I was actually just looking at the met office site and they’ve got showers basically all day Saturday and Sunday, but the actual chance of rain for each time slot is around 30/40%, so hardly nailed on it’ll rain all day. Could end up just being passing showers which would be absolutely fine.

In 2007 it did actually clear up on the Friday and Saturday night just before headliner time for a bit. I remember thinking at the time that the skies were clear and at least we had a few hours of dryness to enjoy.

Also I think the Wednesday was mostly dry, and looking back on photos there was still a lot of grass around Thursday afternoon... but my memory is very hazy!

The mud was fucking atrocious though and by Friday PM the damage was already irreversible. The floor was liquid mud everywhere, nowhere at all to sit on the ground, easily the worst conditions of the 11 Glastonburys I've been to. Much worse than 2004, 2011 and 2016 which were the other "muddy" years.

Look....it was cracking the flags 🙄

S6300434.jpg

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sure - but Christine and the Queens didnt play in 2015. Their other stage slot was 2016 

Ah then I have merged my 2015/6 Friday nights in my memory, which isn’t that surprising. But we were defo Sat on the ground on the sat in 2015. I’ve got a photo of that so not relying on my unreliable memory! 

1 minute ago, frecklescorp said:

I’ve expanded the hourly forecast for Thursday and it looks like our first performance will be in rain 😭😭😭😭😭 what does 0.4/0.5mm mean to a layperson?

Spitting 

1 minute ago, frecklescorp said:

I’ve expanded the hourly forecast for Thursday and it looks like our first performance will be in rain 😭😭😭😭😭 what does 0.4/0.5mm mean to a layperson?

I think technically that would be classed as “slight rain”. Probably about the smallest that could be predicted 😂

44 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The height of indie landfill and crap weather to boot? Makes me kinda glad I didn’t start going until a few years later.

It was my first Glasto, we had a blast, despite it being a real endurance test. 

Few of my pals never returned though, was understandably a bit much for them. 

2005 was bad. Hot Thursday, then massive downpour on the Friday morning with tents at bottom of Pennards submerged.  Made the mistake of only having hiking sandals with me, while walking through just below knee high mud slush.  I did go looking for wellies to buy, but they went up from £5 a pair to £20.  I said no to that.  Wanted to go home after that first night, then on the Saturday I just lumped up the cash for the (now £25) pair of wellies and my weekend was saved.  best bit was when the sun came out and the ground dried out as Brian Wilson appeared on stage on the Sunday.  I was also at 2007 and that rained all the time.  But at least I had wellies for the duration and was permanently drunk, so got through that one surprisingly well.  Didn't return until 2019 mind.  That was actually too hot/dry/sunny and almost as brutal as a wet and muddy Glastonbury.

11 minutes ago, LetsGoToMars said:

In 2007 it did actually clear up on the Friday and Saturday night just before headliner time for a bit. I remember thinking at the time that the skies were clear and at least we had a few hours of dryness to enjoy.

Also I think the Wednesday was mostly dry, and looking back on photos there was still a lot of grass around Thursday afternoon... but my memory is very hazy!

The mud was fucking atrocious though and by Friday PM the damage was already irreversible. The floor was liquid mud everywhere, nowhere at all to sit on the ground, easily the worst conditions of the 11 Glastonburys I've been to. Much worse than 2004, 2011 and 2016 which were the other "muddy" years.

Look....it was cracking the flags 🙄

S6300434.jpg

2007 was nice and warm until Friday lunchtime, and that's when the rain started and was pretty consistent for the rest of the weekend.

7 minutes ago, frecklescorp said:

Rarely is a forecast that correct anyway but yes that's a tiny amount of rain. 

19 minutes ago, nban2010 said:

It is defo getting better on Yr.no with less rain forcast with each run. 1cm of rain over 3 days really isn't a lot. 

That Met Office run is the DREAM.

Screenshot_20220620-131823_Chrome.jpg

This is horrendous. Rain every day from Thursday. Some of it quite heavy.

Constant showers when the music is on

Rain mac on, rain mac off.

This was Glasto 07 for most of the time

Edited by The Nal