In Memoriam Thread

CaledonianGonzo

On 11/12/2022 at 10:19 AM, Avalon_Fields said:

Mo Ostin 

Who the hell is he? Died a couple of months back.

Yeah, I didn't know either, but he was instrumental with Warner Bros. in signing an unbelievable array of talent. Maybe we wouldn't have heard of some of these acts without him:

Frank Sinatra, The Kinks, Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Grateful Dead, REM, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Talking Heads, The Ramones, Madonna (those last 3 in a distribution deal), Prince, Van Morrison, Rod Stewart, Tom Petty, Van Halen, ZZ Top ...etc etc

Neil Young recommended Charles Manson to Mo Ostin. Ostin turned Manson down.

Edited by The Nal

11 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Aww RIP. Great he got a good few extra years after his initial diagnosis. 

Loved seeing him strut about in Williams Green whatever year he played (14 or 15?).

2014. Did a Q&A and played a few tunes, they later showed the movie about him and the next day he did a gig in Acoustic. 

• Upvote 1

I was lucky enough to see Wilko play at Off the Tracks festival, gosh must be 2012ish, he was absolutely incredible.  Not my taste in music exactly but my goodness could he hold that rhythm on his guitar!  It wasn't long after that he was diagnosed with his cancer.  

RIP Wilko, great guitarist, even greater character!

18 hours ago, bexj said:

I was lucky enough to see Wilko play at Off the Tracks festival, gosh must be 2012ish, he was absolutely incredible.  Not my taste in music exactly but my goodness could he hold that rhythm on his guitar!

RIP Wilko, great guitarist, even greater character!

Saw him for the first time this year at Bearded Theory having not known any of his music.

On 11/11/2022 at 5:22 PM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Nik Turner. I've seen Hawkwind literally more times than I can remember. A large part of the soundtrack of my youth 

Can't believe I missed this.

Like a lot here, a big part of the soundtrack of my youth. Hawkwind were the only "name" band to play anywhere near us and they played regularly. 

On 11/12/2022 at 7:05 PM, Avalon_Fields said:

Keith Levene (The Clash & PIL) RIP

Like Wilko, another one of those "unique" guitar players.

• 2 weeks later...