In Memoriam Thread

CaledonianGonzo

On 1/19/2023 at 10:25 PM, airwaves said:

BBC News - Rock legend David Crosby dies aged 81
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64341315

Bugger

David Crosby, let's include all the 70s greats here, Beatles, Stones, Bob Dylan, Neil Young,  Rod Stewart, Joni Mitchell, Lead Zeppelin, Deep Purple....... Crosby had the best voice of any them, and never lost it 

Such a talent. One off.

• 1 month later...

David Lindley... RIP

I know perhaps not much of a name to today's younger E-Festers (a decade-plus ago on here there'd be a thread up on him immediately) but he was a legendary musician. For Jackson Browne's two sets in 2010 I believe one of them (acoustic or pyramid) was billed as 'Jackson Browne featuring David Lindley' 

When the lineup came out this week, I was actually discussing with a friend the somber topic of how many artists/musicians whom we've lost that I've seen on Worthy Farm (not how many who have actually played, but how many you've caught in person there) and I sadly found myself easily into the 20's..from the most obvious (Charlie Watts + Bobby Keys from Saturday night/2013, David Crosby, Lou Reed) to the most obscure yet still memorable (Ben Andrews, the troubadour who opened up the Pyramid on Radiohead day 2003, or Jack White's energetic keyboardist Ikey Owens).... I also think just about the entire Neil Young band from 2009 has passed apart from Shakey. 

Sad news about Gary Rossington, seen the band quite a few times down the decades and the different lineups. He’s the last one, the last survivor of the air crash. Actually saw them supposedly supporting Deep Purple in Glasgow and they blew Purple off  the stage with their performance. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

Paul O’Grady - been on our TV screens pretty much all my life. Very sad and no age to go.

Superb comic, with a razor wit. Sad loss. I don't know if he ever played the festival, but I can imagine it would be a great show if he did.

Real ones say RIP to an absolutely essential piano playing Ethiopian nun.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/mar/28/emahoy-tsegue-maryam-guebrou-the-ethiopian-nun-who-was-one-of-historys-most-distinctive-pianists

I'll never forget the time I first heard her (Ethiopiques). My jaw dropped.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

Holy shit, and just as they were reforming. Hopefully the pressure of them getting back together and being back in the limelight hasn’t lead to this in some way as he always seemed to struggle with it the most what with him leaving the band back in the day and having to sell his BRIT to make ends meet etc. RIP. 

Just now, FloorFiller said:

Holy shit, and just as they were reforming. Hopefully the pressure of them getting back together and being back in the limelight hasn’t lead to this in some way as he always seemed to struggle with it the most what with him leaving the band back in the day and having to sell his BRIT to make ends meet etc. RIP. 

My age too 46 😞 

Honestly always thought he'd end this way, always seemed unhappy.

Don't think the knew what he was getting himself into with S Club and you have to wonder about industry care who those young uns thrown into the limelight, was surprised he was involved in the reunion. Obviously needed the cash