Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

On 3/15/2022 at 9:07 AM, Quark said:

Youth Sector at Green Door Store in Brighton last night with support from Comforts and Ciel, both decent.

Comforts were a solid indie guitar 4-piece, lead vocal had a similar feel to the bigger songs from The Lathums. Almost an old-school stadium rock type sound, bit like Inhaler in places. Not reinventing the wheel, but really enjoyable. And the guitarist had some decent fills and solos.

Ciel are somewhere between dream pop and shoegaze, lots of feedback and guitar noodling.  But with a couple of quite rocky numbers as well, and at least one track that made me think of Joy Division. Took them a couple of songs to settle into their rhythm, but picked up as they went on.

Youth Sector were top notch.  Saw them as a support act in 2020, back with more material and a couple of line up changes. Talking Heads / Parquet Courts / DEVO vibes, loads of energy and the tracks translated really well live.  And the bass player is on another level.  Had a blast, would definitely recommend catching them if they pop up.

20220314_220030_resized.jpg

20220314_221853_resized.jpg

Saw them in Southampton on Tuesday. They are very good live, pity there were fuck all people there to see it.

Went to watch Bodega and Regressive Left on Sunday in Pompey. Both good, Bodega played for 90 minutes which is more than decent for a gig of that size. Definitely put everything into their gigs, lots of energy there.

De La Soul tomorrow in Southampton, looking forward to that.

• Like 1

Was at the YES basement for the first time last night watching Enola Gay. I only realised about a month a go that I could actually get in, as they have wierd rules surrounding the restrictions of the gigs.

Most ticketing websites list YES as strictly 18+, but if you click access information it says that under 18's are allowed in the gig if they're with an adult. We had to show the guy on the door a print out that under 18's were allowed and that we had an email from the owner. They were very adamant that I could only go into the gig and if I went in any other part they'd kick me out, they've probably got some tight licensing agreements.

First support band was fantastic, it was post punk with added saxophone. It was like BC,NR let loose a bit more on their first record. The guitarist and saxophonist would be playing two separate parts and then suddenly would start to join up and play together getting more and more intense. It was really enjoyable and was better than the act I was primarily there to see. They're called "Maruja" if anyone wants to check them out

Second support band was a bit boring in my opinion, loud post punk with lyrics that you couldn't hear. Instrumentals were good though, but it started to grate after a while. Think they're called "Yabba" but I can't find them on Spotify.

Enola Gay were good but not great, partly because the support was fairly similar to them. So when you've had 40 mins of shouty post punk that your getting slightly bored of, having another hour or so on top of that isn't the best mix. I bought the tickets a while ago when they only had a couple of songs out, and they've released some new stuff which I don't think is as good, but that's the risk you take with new bands.

Venue seemed alright. Was really packed, so could only get in a couple of steps from the door for the first support, although it cleared a lot between the bands. Sound was good, although pretty loud for that size venue. It gets bonus points for having seats at the side so you can sit down between the bands. It was also really hot. I'd get a drink of water next time as it gets warm in there with all the bodies and not much space to move about. But overall not bad venue or bands, I prefer the Deaf Institute for that size of venue though.

• Upvote 1

Every time I see Lynks it gets weirder and madder. Rowdy one at Heaven tonight and just ridiculous fun. Great Wet Leg cover. 

Plus a song about making béchamel sauce sung whilst wearing a full body and face sequin suit? Why, yes. 

Get them in the Rabbit Hole for bizarre late night vibes please. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bethannny said:

Every time I see Lynks it gets weirder and madder. Rowdy one at Heaven tonight and just ridiculous fun. Great Wet Leg cover. 

Plus a song about making béchamel sauce sung whilst wearing a full body and face sequin suit? Why, yes. 

Get them in the Rabbit Hole for bizarre late night vibes please. 

I foresee him playing a number of sets across the weekend. That show is perfectly suited to a number of areas, isn't it?

18 hours ago, Miyn said:

Was at the YES basement for the first time last night watching Enola Gay. I only realised about a month a go that I could actually get in, as they have wierd rules surrounding the restrictions of the gigs.

Most ticketing websites list YES as strictly 18+, but if you click access information it says that under 18's are allowed in the gig if they're with an adult. We had to show the guy on the door a print out that under 18's were allowed and that we had an email from the owner. They were very adamant that I could only go into the gig and if I went in any other part they'd kick me out, they've probably got some tight licensing agreements.

First support band was fantastic, it was post punk with added saxophone. It was like BC,NR let loose a bit more on their first record. The guitarist and saxophonist would be playing two separate parts and then suddenly would start to join up and play together getting more and more intense. It was really enjoyable and was better than the act I was primarily there to see. They're called "Maruja" if anyone wants to check them out

Second support band was a bit boring in my opinion, loud post punk with lyrics that you couldn't hear. Instrumentals were good though, but it started to grate after a while. Think they're called "Yabba" but I can't find them on Spotify.

Enola Gay were good but not great, partly because the support was fairly similar to them. So when you've had 40 mins of shouty post punk that your getting slightly bored of, having another hour or so on top of that isn't the best mix. I bought the tickets a while ago when they only had a couple of songs out, and they've released some new stuff which I don't think is as good, but that's the risk you take with new bands.

Venue seemed alright. Was really packed, so could only get in a couple of steps from the door for the first support, although it cleared a lot between the bands. Sound was good, although pretty loud for that size venue. It gets bonus points for having seats at the side so you can sit down between the bands. It was also really hot. I'd get a drink of water next time as it gets warm in there with all the bodies and not much space to move about. But overall not bad venue or bands, I prefer the Deaf Institute for that size of venue though.

I'm going to see Enola Gay in Cambridge, kinda dampened my enthusiasm now though! Just checked out Maruja and yes very BC,NR which isn't a bad thing in my book.

1 hour ago, The Dawg said:

I'm going to see Enola Gay in Cambridge, kinda dampened my enthusiasm now though! Just checked out Maruja and yes very BC,NR which isn't a bad thing in my book.

Seeing them in Southampton soon. The guy who runs the Joiners recommended them to me as a great live band and he's seen thousands of gigs.

Went to see De La Soul last night. Really good fun, really know how to work the crowd and create a great atmosphere. Place was rammed.

Pity was that one of them wasn't there (they had a stand in DJ who was excellent though) and they only played an hour which, considering its a 30 year celebration tour, is a bit short.

IMG_20220318_215420.jpg

5 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I foresee him playing a number of sets across the weekend. That show is perfectly suited to a number of areas, isn't it?

Definitely. Williams Green and a late night Shangri-la set would be magical! Whilst we're there, get Grove on too. They were great supporting last night.

Discovered Lynks on the main stage at Latitude last year - can't quite see him on the Pyramid but it'd be a hell of a way to blow the cobwebs away!

34 minutes ago, bethannny said:

Definitely. Williams Green and a late night Shangri-la set would be magical! Whilst we're there, get Grove on too. They were great supporting last night.

Discovered Lynks on the main stage at Latitude last year - can't quite see him on the Pyramid but it'd be a hell of a way to blow the cobwebs away!

Me too! Caught the secret set later that night as well. A big summer with lots of exposure and I reckon he's destined for big things. Loads of fun

6 hours ago, bethannny said:

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Me too! Caught the secret set later that night as well. A big summer with lots of exposure and I reckon he's destined for big things. Loads of fun

He supported Frank Carter on tour last year and I got talking to him and his dancers afterwards. They were all really nice and had big plans for this year! They played a sold out Heaven last night and it looked like it went down a storm.

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

He supported Frank Carter on tour last year and I got talking to him and his dancers afterwards. They were all really nice and had big plans for this year! They played a sold out Heaven last night and it looked like it went down a storm.

I love the fact that they supported Frank Carter. Complete contrast in genres, styles, pretty much everything. Fair one to Frank for putting them on. Definitely predicting them becoming much more popular

Napalm Death at the Underworld on Friday - every bit as good as the first time i saw them in '91!

being an old, knackered man now my plan was to just nurse a beer standing at the back and just enjoy the show - a couple of songs in and that plan was out the window and i was down the front like the good old days.

it was a great night, the band were brilliant as usual, it was a great atmosphere in there, i could count the number of people watching the show through their phones on one hand it was almost like a show from good old days before mobile phones.

brilliant.

(but i am a physical wreck, middle-age and stage diving are not good friends...)

• Upvote 1

Sadly we didn't get Robert Smith join Chvrches in Birmingham. Show was still awesome though. First big show I'd say I've done since covid (only saw one show in each of 2020 and 2021, each featuring a band I know people in) and did feel like a good way to start.

Now keeping fingers crossed I don't get a positive test before Royal Blood next weekend.

Really hoping I'll be seeing Sam Fender tomorrow, having secured a ticket via Twickets for the second time. Sadly, I'm not holding a great deal of confidence.

First got a ticket back in January - turned out the seller had listed just 1 for sale, despite 3 being in their original order. When it became apparent this isn't possible via Twickets system, the sale was void and I got my money back (weeks later, and after a lot of back and forth with Twickets).

Last night I finally got through to buy another single ticket - must have been the 20th notification I've had for it in the last three weeks, and the first time I've gotten to the button before "these tickets are being purchased by someone else". It's a mobile ticket transfer, so should be able to be pretty instantaneous, but still nothing from my seller. I have a horrible feeling the same thing has happened again as it did in January 😔 only this time, don't have time for the back and forth.