Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

12 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Arooj Aftab in Bristol tonight. Wow  just spellbinding. Not convinced I will be at a better gig this year,* 

Her, double bass and harp, and I love a harp. Her vocals are effortless

(I remember at Glastonbury in Heaven in the afternoon with mixmaster Morris playing downtempo beats and  harpist playing, that was wonderful.)

Sadly her tours dates  suggest she will not be on the farm. Shame, in the Sun would be great

*I have the right to change my mind

20220203_210131.jpg

oh man completely missed she was touring!!! she's at primavera tho so not all bad, but glad she's great live. Loved her album so much last year

On a comedown from a pretty great gig stretch - four in five days. Caribou at Brighton Dome was great - seemed a tad quiet for a gig supposedly close to selling out for months. But the new stuff sounds great live. On Monday, I saw Mustafa at Union Chapel - can't remember if it got a mention here but it went on sale a week before the show and sold out that day. A stunning gig tbh; such a good venue and his performance was very impressive. Also a surprise appearance from Sampha is always appreciated

Then being in the pit for Turnstile at both their London gigs was just a blast. Two of the best shows I've been to. def worth a watch either at Outbreak or 2000 Trees if you're going to those

7 hours ago, Quark said:

Aye, I know @deebeedoobee of this parish has some contact with Barry & the band - any snippets you can share with us Dee?

Barry told me he’d love to play but hasn’t been asked…yet. That was as of a couple of weeks ago. I’m sure that will change. Dubs are the official start of the festival!!

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

Didn’t go myself, sold out,  but a few friends went to see the idles at barrowland glasgow a few days ago and thought they were absolutely incredible. The ideal venue for them. 

I had a friend who went last night in the Barrowlands and said it was 'next level' compared to shows earlier on tour. I guess with it being their last night on tour, they threw caution to the wind.

6 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

What a great concept Independent Venue Week is - that's 2 nights out, 5 great bands for an outlay of £18.50, extraordinary!! 

It really is, saw Soak / Ailbhe Reddy in York on Tuesday and 6 acts at Wroot Rocks, last night for £25. Would have also seen the K's on Monday but I was still knackered from Riff Fest on Saturday.

10 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Opus Kink in Bedford last night - first time I've seen them, what a fantastic band.

Support from Genn who rocked  and a local band The Yarrow who were also great.

What a great concept Independent Venue Week is - that's 2 nights out, 5 great bands for an outlay of £18.50, extraordinary!! 

Was going to ask you how they were, gutted I missed them! They're a Brighton band so fingers crossed they'll pop up here again soon

Just seen Pom Poko in Portsmouth. They really are such a great live band. Incredible musicians, I reckon the drummer is one of the best out there after Morgan from Black Midi.

They always seem so happy. You watch some bands and they barely smile but Pom Poko are just always having the best time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, NoBuses said:

Can we revive this thread.? Really enjoyed reading it!

Ok. Saw Yard Act on Monday who were excellent.  Support was Baba Ali. He was pretty good as well. Rolo Tomassi on Weds were outstanding. Their support were Heriot (very good) and Pupil Slicer who were good but only that.

Last week, got surprised by a freebie to see HENGE, and my god, that's a unique brand of acid-house infused space rock that made for a very fun time! I can see why they played last Glastonbury 3 times in the middle of the night, same again this year please! Interestingly placed venue, The New Continental in Preston, down a dark road and the back room of a respectable restaurant/bar outfit.

Last night, Dry Cleaning in Manchester Academy 2, pretty good, but the loud band/softly spoken vocals thing didn't translate super well to the live setting, especially an echoey one like Academy 2. Hmm.

11 hours ago, Simpo said:

Last night, Dry Cleaning in Manchester Academy 2, pretty good, but the loud band/softly spoken vocals thing didn't translate super well to the live setting, especially an echoey one like Academy 2. Hmm.

Yes, you're exactly right, because I don't know their music well I got bored after 30 mins. And I left before the end. I preferred the support act PVA.

Recently I have seen these gigs:

Snapped Ankles supported by Mystic Peach and Cowboyy which was great. Snapped Ankles were brilliant, played for well over an hour.

Los Bitchos - so much fun.

Yard Act - were way better live than last year (a live band for me, really not fussed about listening to them otherwise.) Supported by Baba Ali who I really enjoyed.

Home Counties - decent live, nice bunch of people too.

Deadletter - probably better than a lot of other more popular bands who sound a bit like The Fall. Have a couple of songs that some would refer to as "bangers"

Preistgate - they are from Driffield (nope, me neither) which you learn quite quickly during the gig as the singer mentions it after every song. They really go for it live.

Deep Tan - a couple of good songs, otherwise didn't really do much for me.

Deathcrash - stunning.

Coming up have Dry Cleaning and PVA on Tuesday, then maybe Melt Yourself Down on Friday. So many gigs around here at the moment.

• Upvote 1