All Points East Festival 2022

Hutchmaster

6 hours ago, gregory said:

Did you play twice in a day? 

Also was the LUNO guest area wristband blue yesterday / other days? (Aka will it work tomorrow and Sunday?). Cheers 

Not sure how relevant this is to this weekend, but was blue last Friday and another colour (shade of beige or something?) on Saturday. Blue one worked on Saturday because they didn’t care. 

Perfume Genius, Fleet Foxes and The National were all outstanding tonight – shame the setlist was so similar to Primavera but no complaints from me and the new songs sounded a lot better. 

Definitely not a huge crowd but all seemed to be loving it where I was and had plenty of space right where Matt entered the crowd, so perfect for me

Edited by mynameismatt
  • Upvote 1

What a fantastic day! Did the O2 deal so only paid £34 for my ticket. Got dead centre front row for The National - absolutely amazing, incredible atmosphere amongst the hardcore fans. Mogwai we’re also great and the biggest revelation was Lucy Dacus - so good. Saw some other less good stuff but that’s to be expected over a long day of music. Loads of space and the crowds were fantastic - polite and friendly throughout.

Glad I didn’t do the VIP view in the end - rubbish position. Seems they took on board the criticism of it last year.

One question for others who attended; how busy was it? We easily got front row (or thereabouts) for everything and so couldn’t work out how busy it was overall? I went to the Mumford day 3 years ago and it seemed much quieter to me today than then.

Had a great time. The National smashed it. Also very impressed with Public Service Broadcasting. Dehd good fun as well. 

Only downer was some of the talkers during the music. One guy behind me spent the whole of weird goodbyes telling his mate how amazing the song was and that he'd already heard it loads of times. You'd think he would listen if he likes it that much. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

That was a really great day. The weather was almost perfect (could have been a tad sunnier!), the bands were great, the sound was terrific for every act, the food was as good as ever at APE and the crowd was enthusiastic and polite (if a bit chattery - how on earth do you keep whittering through Mogwai?!).

Kurt Vile - lovely mellow, laid-back vibe as always

Mogwai - stupendous. Never seen them before live, but they were transcendental. An even bigger fan now.

Fleet Foxes - beautiful, soaring melodies. Glad to see them get a big crowd as the main stage was vacant.

The National - really, really impressive. Surprised at how many people knew the words and sang along, they seem to slowly get bigger and bigger. And the set didn't muck around, they played all the hits/favourites.

The only disappointment was no Taylor Swift to wind our young daughter up about afterwards......now can't wait for Sunday.

Any one got an idea of how many people were there yesterday? I worry about the future of APE as it definitely didn’t seem busy….

I’d love to know what the break even point for the festival is in terms of sales.

I know some people criticise APE as being a bit characterless but I really like it and want to see it survive.

Yesterday was a commercial failure. Way, way undersold and that's even with them trying to leak lots of free tickets onto the market.

They need to change something as it clearly isn't working.

I found the day pleasant but lacking in atmosphere. I want a big (but not completely rammed) crowd that is really up for it and not talking through the sets.

3 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Yesterday was a commercial failure. Way, way undersold and that's even with them trying to leak lots of free tickets onto the market.

I found the day pleasant but lacking in atmosphere. I want a big (but not completely rammed) crowd that is really up for it and not talking through the sets.

I’d be really interested to know how much their commercial model is built around sponsorship rather than ticket sales… the post event email survey I received was pretty much totally about how much I noticed all the partner brands and if it made me more likely to buy them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Any guesses of attendance? 20,000? 40,000? I know they have a license for 60,000.

49 minutes ago, more matey said:

Any one got an idea of how many people were there yesterday? I worry about the future of APE as it definitely didn’t seem busy….

I’d love to know what the break even point for the festival is in terms of sales.

I know some people criticise APE as being a bit characterless but I really like it and want to see it survive.

Field Day was rammed, Tame Impala quite quiet but not super super empty. Will report back for disclosure, undercard is quite stacked so i can see it doing fairly well (they also stopped offering it and not every other date in one competition)

Anyone going for Fred get in that tent early, its a tiny tent and will be rammed.

51 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I clearly need to be better tuned in given I didn't see any free tix for National.

Granted I'm still not feeling 100% after flu so I might have ended up at the back. But still.

11 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I clearly need to be better tuned in given I didn't see any free tix for National.

Granted I'm still not feeling 100% after flu so I might have ended up at the back. But still.

Sorry I meant through generous competitions and to nhs workers, of which there are a huge number who qualify in this country.

I did think they would go wider however and post them on free deal websites and I was wrong.

Wonder if they are regretting it. National day maybe only 50% of capacity? 

2 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Sorry I meant through generous competitions and to nhs workers, of which there are a huge number who qualify in this country.

I did think they would go wider however and post them on free deal websites and I was wrong.

Wonder if they are regretting it. National day maybe only 50% of capacity? 

Huh it was claiming sell out at one point on Friday afternoon. So if it's that substantially smaller than the crazy crowds I had to trawl through on Strokes day in 2019, that's quite a fall in numbers.

And yeah I did see a lot of competitions were going on, albeit only ever as a background thing as much as anything.

If this returns for 2023 and a line-up that I sort of want to get on turns up, maybe it's worth monitoring.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've always found APE lacking in atmosphere in the past and really prone to casuals chatting through sets. That's basically why I didn't want to pay for my ticket! If I find that to be the case tomorrow I won't feel hard done by. Think it would take a lot for me to fork out full price again.

Yeah same reason why I wouldn't bother anymore either. Makes it even more of a shame when it's like the only UK date for like Nick Cave and it's stuck at such a grim corporate fest.