2023 Festival

TheWaters

3 hours ago, VCK said:

Chances of The Libertines? Would be a very solid sub to Foals on MSW.

would honestly be a poor MSW sub the (small) size of shows they've been doing. think they are past R&L now anyway

Given KSI was on the bill at Reading/Leeds 2021 but in a low-down slot and his last tour had the single arena date at Wembley, I'm surprised he's even in the mix for a headline spot just on those metrics.

I wouldn't be snotty enough to say shouldn't be there at all given he's been there in living memory, plus there's also Reading's absorption of the V demographic and the fact that the festival is chasing a crowd that overlaps, but has there been that much of an outpouring of support for his music that he's been catapulted up to such a large platform?

Tbf, I rarely listen to radio so maybe its getting played a lot and just hadn't heard.

44 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Given KSI was on the bill at Reading/Leeds 2021 but in a low-down slot and his last tour had the single arena date at Wembley, I'm surprised he's even in the mix for a headline spot just on those metrics.

I wouldn't be snotty enough to say shouldn't be there at all given he's been there in living memory, plus there's also Reading's absorption of the V demographic and the fact that the festival is chasing a crowd that overlaps, but has there been that much of an outpouring of support for his music that he's been catapulted up to such a large platform?

Tbf, I rarely listen to radio so maybe its getting played a lot and just hadn't heard.

Music is no longer the prime attribute to booking or position on the bill

I'm gonna add to this debate over KSI Headlining.

I'm 23 years old. And I'm a huge fan of JJ. Have been for a decade. Would I buy a whole festival ticket to see him? Nope. But, I go every year to Leeds Festival due to my location, so it makes no difference to me whether the line-up is top notch, or whether it's just a mediocre lineup. Obviously prefer it if it's a fantastic lineup though! As for KSI, he will definitely bring in with him, the HUGE platform he has.

From a business standpoint, the direction that Festival Republic want to move Reading & Leeds to be the "Teens" type festival, as it seems like they want to do, this would be a fantastic decision. Is he the best rapper of all time? No. By far. But he has improved MASSIVELY since the beginning of his music career, and with hits such as Don't Play, Holiday and Really Love, a lot of his hits are on the radio constantly - And as I previously mentioned, he would bring with him an absolutely massive platform - that be from YouTube, Boxing or his music.

I have seen KSI perform 12 different times since 2019. The show I saw him do at the OVO Wembley Arena this past year was one of the best production shows I've ever seen, with so many of his collaborations coming out. And the pyro, the Lamborghini on stage - the whole production was just unbelievable and something quite honestly you wouldn't expect from a "YouTube rapper" (although, he is definitely moving away from the rapping and is a musician now IMO)

If he does a show like his Wembley show, there's no doubt he should headline. If he does one of his normal shows (e.g. Academy shows) then he shouldn't. Because he'll be a headliner if the rumours are true, I see him doing his headline show, and he will shock a lot of people as too how good it truly is.

If the rumours are true, I for one can't wait to see him headline.

2 hours ago, TownNation said:

I'm gonna add to this debate over KSI Headlining.

I'm 23 years old. And I'm a huge fan of JJ. Have been for a decade. Would I buy a whole festival ticket to see him? Nope. But, I go every year to Leeds Festival due to my location, so it makes no difference to me whether the line-up is top notch, or whether it's just a mediocre lineup. Obviously prefer it if it's a fantastic lineup though! As for KSI, he will definitely bring in with him, the HUGE platform he has.

From a business standpoint, the direction that Festival Republic want to move Reading & Leeds to be the "Teens" type festival, as it seems like they want to do, this would be a fantastic decision. Is he the best rapper of all time? No. By far. But he has improved MASSIVELY since the beginning of his music career, and with hits such as Don't Play, Holiday and Really Love, a lot of his hits are on the radio constantly - And as I previously mentioned, he would bring with him an absolutely massive platform - that be from YouTube, Boxing or his music.

I have seen KSI perform 12 different times since 2019. The show I saw him do at the OVO Wembley Arena this past year was one of the best production shows I've ever seen, with so many of his collaborations coming out. And the pyro, the Lamborghini on stage - the whole production was just unbelievable and something quite honestly you wouldn't expect from a "YouTube rapper" (although, he is definitely moving away from the rapping and is a musician now IMO)

If he does a show like his Wembley show, there's no doubt he should headline. If he does one of his normal shows (e.g. Academy shows) then he shouldn't. Because he'll be a headliner if the rumours are true, I see him doing his headline show, and he will shock a lot of people as too how good it truly is.

If the rumours are true, I for one can't wait to see him headline.

A Lamborghini and on stage you say?!?!!!!

Oh well a must see then no doubt!

To be fair, I sure he’ll be thoroughly entertaining, it’s just cabaret though, a spectacle as opposed to musical merit

Its funny 10 years or so back, people were whining about how Jared Leto was turning up with 30 seconds to Mars and he was only there as he was famous

Now we have this

Personally as one of 6 headliners I have no real issue with it, heck I stood through Tenacious D, with the odd laugh here and here and there

They just need to make sure that this kind of shit isn’t half the lineup in a couple of years time, as there will be a backlash at somepoint, unless times really have changed that much!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Benj said:

To be fair, I sure he’ll be thoroughly entertaining, it’s just cabaret though, a spectacle as opposed to musical merit

Its funny 10 years or so back, people were whining about how Jared Leto was turning up with 30 seconds to Mars and he was only there as he was famous

Now we have this

Personally as one of 6 headliners I have no real issue with it, heck I stood through Tenacious D, with the odd laugh here and here and there

They just need to make sure that this kind of shit isn’t half the lineup in a couple of years time, as there will be a backlash at somepoint, unless times really have changed that much!

Very well put here. Completely agree.

1 hour ago, beetchez said:

What's the likelihood of MCR playing? Honestly they'd be the only band that would persuade me to go again.

Green Day pulling out makes things very different for me. I wouldn't be arsed about the other days. It's Yungblud that would interest me more and there is no debate whether he fits before MCR or not.

11 hours ago, Benj said:

Now we have this

Drake did the lambourghini on stage years ago i swear

43 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

For me, I won't see them better now than at Coventry just past. I got into the golden circle unintentionally and was very close. That's not going to be beaten.

Anything is better than cov!

That Killers announcement surely has to put them as prime rumour now.

RE: KSI, it may seem like too ludicrous of a bump up even by R&L's standards, but as I've said before MSW headliners are basically just glorified subs, and we've had some weak subs down the years anyway. A Day To Remember and Two Door Cinema Club, anyone?

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

For me, I won't see them better now than at Coventry just past. I got into the golden circle unintentionally and was very close. That's not going to be beaten.

Was at that show too, managed to get to the front section, first time seen them and they were incredible. Smile like you mean it whilst been on my mates shoulders was an awesome moment