2023 Festival

TheWaters

4 hours ago, VCK said:

Upsetting people on Twitter and TikTok is like shooting fish in a barrel though. You will never see a bigger hive of miserable fuckers who are never happy unless they're complaining about someone doing something.

Name me a Reading line-up that has never been subject to a fuck ton of complaints. Bet even those that we look back on now as incredible were dismissed by a load of people at the time.

Just now, charlierc said:

Name me a Reading line-up that has never been subject to a fuck ton of complaints. Bet even those that we look back on now as incredible were dismissed by a load of people at the time.

The reactions to 2008 and 2010 were overwhelmingly positive. Apart from people asking who Arcade Fire were, that is.

If you go back to the 09/10 forums on here, there's loads of people calling it awful, underwhelming etc. Longing for the "good old days" and twenty years from now people will still be doing the same saying how amazing the 2022 line up was. 

Edited by Buko
Typo

5 hours ago, Buko said:

If you go back to the 09/10 forums on here, there's loads of people calling it awful, underwhelming etc. Longing for the "good old days" and twenty years from now people will still be doing the same saying how amazing the 2022 line up was. 

That’s exactly it. People will always look back on lineups and say how incredible they are but it’s often misrepresented given that the acts that are huge now weren’t huge back then and likely played to a small crowd of diehard fans as most who wouldn’t have had a clue who they were.

Looks like a lot of the rumours are true with Billie, Foals and Sam Fender. Hope Imagine Dragons aren't at R&L. Do we think Yungblud could be a MSW headliner or MSE sub. Also the like of Nothing But Thieves and Amyl And The Sniffers would be great to see.

3 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Looks like a lot of the rumours are true with Billie, Foals and Sam Fender. Hope Imagine Dragons aren't at R&L. Do we think Yungblud could be a MSW headliner or MSE sub. Also the like of Nothing But Thieves and Amyl And The Sniffers would be great to see.

Imagine Dragons would be a very R&L booking, so I wouldn’t t be surprised if we see them on MSE. I’m sure they’re the most listened to “rock” act on Spotify. Caught the last few songs of their set at Mad Cool and they were fairly entertaining, though I was quite a lot of vodka red bulls down…

Yungblud is probably MSW sub at best. I think someone said Nothing But Thieves are due to sub Foals on MSW.

Edited by FeverDream

7 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Nothing But Thieves are subbing Foals, I leaked that about a month ago

2 hours ago, FeverDream said:

That’s exactly it. People will always look back on lineups and say how incredible they are but it’s often misrepresented given that the acts that are huge now weren’t huge back then and likely played to a small crowd of diehard fans as most who wouldn’t have had a clue who they were.

Look at the absolutely reviled 2018 line up and tell me that we wouldn't be clamouring over ourselves to have:

Travis Scott, Post Malone, Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa, Wolf Alice, Pendulum, Pharrell Williams, D-Block Europe, Rex OC, Playboi Carti, Tom Grennan, Lewis Capaldi, Sam Fender, J Hus, AJ Tracy, Don Broco, Yungblud, and Bicep Live

All of those in the undercard

7 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Look at the absolutely reviled 2018 line up and tell me that we wouldn't be clamouring over ourselves to have:

Travis Scott, Post Malone, Kendrick Lamar, Dua Lipa, Wolf Alice, Pendulum, Pharrell Williams, D-Block Europe, Rex OC, Playboi Carti, Tom Grennan, Lewis Capaldi, Sam Fender, J Hus, AJ Tracy, Don Broco, Yungblud, and Bicep Live

All of those in the undercard

You’ve completely missed my point. I’m not talking about 4 years ago. I’m talking lineups from 10+ where people look back and go oh wow that’s amazing it’s got XYZ when they don’t realise those acts are big now but were not big back then and played low down on smaller stages. All of those acts you mentioned bar a few were already pretty big in 2018 when they were booked.

Edit: I guess what I’m trying to say is in hindsight lineups always look stronger than current ones do because they have so many acts on there that are huge today but at the time many people would not have known, cared for them or watched them.

Edited by FeverDream

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

YUNGBLUD will sub MSE, I should think. 

Him under Green Day would work well. Although I personally don’t think he’s at that level (think I’m just in denial!) it would look better on paper than him subbing say Foals on MSW as similar genres bunched together typically work well and look stronger.

Edited by FeverDream

6 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Him under Green Day would work well. Although I personally don’t think he’s at that level (think I’m just in denial!) it would look better on paper than him subbing say Foals on MSW as similar genres bunched together typically work well and look stronger.

My only reason for him been slightly higher than that, is that is where he played last year. (Yes it was a last minute bump up due to a drop out). But next year he has a arena tour so is only getting bigger since last year

3 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

My only reason for him been slightly higher than that, is that is where he played last year. (Yes it was a last minute bump up due to a drop out). But next year he has a arena tour so is only getting bigger since last year

Yeah you’re right. I have a tendency to underestimate how big acts actually are, be it because I don’t like them personally or because I don’t really listen to them and neither do my friends as we tend to share our music taste 99% of the time. I guess that’s my music toxic trait haha.

32 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

You’ve completely missed my point. I’m not talking about 4 years ago. I’m talking lineups from 10+ where people look back and go oh wow that’s amazing it’s got XYZ when they don’t realise those acts are big now but were not big back then and played low down on smaller stages. All of those acts you mentioned bar a few were already pretty big in 2018 when they were booked.

Edit: I guess what I’m trying to say is in hindsight lineups always look stronger than current ones do because they have so many acts on there that are huge today but at the time many people would not have known, cared for them or watched them.

I don't know if you just want to be contrarian, or have missed the point.

- In 2018 that lineup was fucking hated.

- Just 4 years later, that lineup looks to have huge names.

- In another 10 years, all of those acts named will he legendary multiple times headliners with huge portfolios.

- People will look back and say "Holy shit they had all of these, that was a stacked line up.

Ultimately, it wasn't a stacked line up when it was announced. We go to watch the best music of now, not to tell our children that we saw their favourite artist before anybody knew their name.

5 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

- In another 10 years, all of those acts named will he legendary multiple times headliners with huge portfolios.

- People will look back and say "Holy shit they had all of these, that was a stacked line up.

Ultimately, it wasn't a stacked line up when it was announced. We go to watch the best music of now, not to tell our children that we saw their favourite artist before anybody knew their name.

That’s my point. I just meant right now I wouldn’t say 2018 is legendary. Maybe one day it will be. Each to their own though. But I completely agree with your last point; music is about being in the moment and not one upping each other.

Edit: I thought your original reply to me was disagreeing with me, but on another read it isn’t! So yeah I have also misunderstood.

Edited by FeverDream

1 hour ago, Chad888 said:

The fall out boy and panic at the disco bookings haven't aged that well. KoL is just as mediocre now as it was then and Kendrick was always well received.

19 hours ago, jj200 said:

Mse 

Friday: Billie elish

Saturday: Kendrick Lamar

Sunday: queen's of the stone age

MSW 

Friday: foals 

Saturday: Sam fender

Sunday: pulp

No way in freezing hell that QOTSA are MSE

They couldn’t even outright headline at their peak, yet alone 2023