Download 2023

3 hours ago, BenG92 said:

Or heard it from someone who read the same thing and claimed to be a source. 

The more interesting (for better or worse) news is Rex from Pantera liking somebody's Tweet saying he hopes they play at Download next year. 

Yeah I’d take from that that Pantera are booked, good spot.

Am I the only person who thinks the Metallica 2 night thing is absolutely tin pot? In a year they could have potentially increased to 4 headliners and had Metallica, BMTH, Slipknot and GNR I just feel like they’ve sold themselves short, especially if they’re trying to keep up with the bigger European metal festivals  

(Pending its all right of course)

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, 49Lawson said:

Am I the only person who thinks the Metallica 2 night thing is absolutely tin pot? In a year they could have potentially increased to 4 headliners and had Metallica, BMTH, Slipknot and GNR I just feel like they’ve sold themselves short, especially if they’re trying to keep up with the bigger European metal festivals  

(Pending its all right of course)

Yeah to me it seems a waste of an opportunity. But it’s a typical Copping thing to do, I think. Wonder if it’s cheaper to just have Metallica X2 along with BMTH and Slipknot than fork out for GNR if Metallica only play once.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s a waste. If they can get away with having any band play twice, it’s Metallica. Unbelievably, they haven’t played Download since 2012, so the demand for them is going to be huge, especially because they will almost certainly be playing two different sets. 

Then again, I adore Metallica so I’m cool with it. If it was Maiden playing twice, for example, I’d be fuming. I know it’s hypocritical but meh, aren’t we all at times? 

Edited by Andre91

15 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

Metallica could play 3 nights and it would sell well. It's Metallica.

But yeah, not what I would choose given the choice. Just praying there's an actual decent 2nd stage headliner alternative for one of them. 

Are the double denim lot into Metallica? To me Metallica X2, Slipknot and BMTH is quite a contemporary set of headliners for Download. I could see someone like Judas Priest doing well against Metallica if the double denim lot aren’t too bothered by them.

8 minutes ago, FeverDream said:

Are the double denim lot into Metallica? To me Metallica X2, Slipknot and BMTH is quite a contemporary set of headliners for Download. I could see someone like Judas Priest doing well against Metallica if the double denim lot aren’t too bothered by them.

Therein lies just how fucked Download is 😂

But yeah, The Double Denim Brigade love Metallica. They’ll go down a storm. 

I want 100 gecs in a tent at Download. 

Edited by Andre91

9 hours ago, FeverDream said:

Yeah to me it seems a waste of an opportunity. But it’s a typical Copping thing to do, I think. Wonder if it’s cheaper to just have Metallica X2 along with BMTH and Slipknot than fork out for GNR if Metallica only play once.

Yeah, waste of an opportunity is a great way to put it. I imagine it is a bit cheaper booking them for the double show too; I remember reading an interview with Geoff Ellis many moons ago about how T In The Park started to  struggle when Oxegen Festival went under because they used to work together to book bands for both dates and as a result got them a bit cheaper. 

I’ve no doubt it will go down very well, and I’ll probably go and just watch someone else during one of the sets if they have good bands opposite them. Just feel like Download could have made a real statement with 4 big headliners this year

11 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Therein lies just how fucked Download is 😂

But yeah, The Double Denim Brigade love Metallica. They’ll go down a storm. 

I want 100 gecs in a tent at Download. 

I missed 100 Gecs at Leeds annoyingly given I was in the tent immediately after for Ashnikko so I’d take them at Download 100%. 

Yeah it’s mad I’m calling Metallica contemporary when they’re the the 14th oldest band still touring according to Radio X https://amp.radiox.co.uk/features/the-oldest-bands-still-touring-today/. I think the difference between Metallica and Iron Maiden / Kiss / Def Leppard etc is that they’re much more popular with 2000s kids, even before Stranger Things.

Edited by FeverDream

What kind of sets have Metallica been playing when they’ve done double festival duty? (Think they’ve done it before or are doing it currently, right?) Do they mix it up a whole bunch and do totally different sets each night, or is it still Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Master of Puppets each night with the likes of Battery, Blackened etc switched out for each other?