Boomtown Chapter 1: The Gathering

Jp2021

4 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

It's an independent festival, which is known for spending a lot more on production than other UK festivals, that hasn't been on for three years. Not really rocket science.

Yeah I get that, but I still think the amount that's been cut seems crazy compared to what the tickets still cost. 

Course, there's always stuff on, I'm not saying it's terrible and a lot of the fun is wandering and exploring. Just expected more in the way of marginally bigger acts. 

I like the line up however I do kinda feel it's been a bit misleading as they talked about how they aren't gonna release the line up so they can get around festival exclusives and whilst there's a few bigger names playing it definitely feels like there's no headliners at the festival. I would suggest maybe they do have notable headliners still like Gorillaz, Prodigy, Wu Tang Clan or whoever and they are just not being announced/kept off the clashfinder to get around other fests but that doesn't seem likely.

Still it's a great fest and I'm sure it would still be fun regardless of who is playing, and whilst people do say that about a few festivals Boomtown is one of the few that sentiment does actually apply to.

Edited by jump

22 minutes ago, jump said:

I like the line up however I do kinda feel it's been a bit misleading as they talked about how they aren't gonna release the line up so they can get around festival exclusives and whilst there's a few bigger names playing it definitely feels like there's no headliners at the festival. I would suggest maybe they do have notable headliners still like Gorillaz, Prodigy, Wu Tang Clan or whoever and they are just not being announced/kept off the clashfinder to get around other fests but that doesn't seem likely.

Still it's a great fest and I'm sure it would still be fun regardless of who is playing.

Yeah, I get the feeling that they weren't being entirely genuine when they said that.  I get where they were coming from, but I imagine they released it this late because they knew it was a bit underwhelming and didn't want a flood of people selling their tickets.  

1 minute ago, WStoner said:

I have a vague recollection of the festival issuing a partial refund to people who bought tickets in 2019 to reflect the fact that 2022's edition of the fest was going to be a bit more scaled down? 

Yes they did, they offered a refund window. They said the lineup was going to be secret, and the festival scaled down, and offered everyone a refund if they didn't like the new direction.

That was some time ago now of course, people might not remember. Also there was a lot going on in the world back then, people might not have known about it.

It's fair to say this was always going to be a make of break year for Boomtown. It was run a different type of event, or call it a day and shut up shop. Can't blame them for wanting to keep going.

1 minute ago, Sku said:

Yes they did, they offered a refund window. They said the lineup was going to be secret, and the festival scaled down, and offered everyone a refund if they didn't like the new direction.

That was some time ago now of course, people might not remember. Also there was a lot going on in the world back then, people might not have known about it.

It's fair to say this was always going to be a make of break year for Boomtown. It was run a different type of event, or call it a day and shut up shop. Can't blame them for wanting to keep going.

It was more this I had in mind - https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/news/2020-10-07-ticket-updates/#:~:text=If you rolled your CH12,update you on your refund.

They offered a partial refund to people who bought tickets in 2019 if they rolled their tickets over?  Although if memory serves it was only about £30 or something?

1 minute ago, WStoner said:

It was more this I had in mind - https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/news/2020-10-07-ticket-updates/#:~:text=If you rolled your CH12,update you on your refund.

They offered a partial refund to people who bought tickets in 2019 if they rolled their tickets over?  Although if memory serves it was only about £30 or something?

They offered full refunds too, as well as the partial refunds. Nobody was forced to roll, but those who did, still received a partial refund.

1 hour ago, honeymonster123 said:

Does anyone know if Spyro on Thursday 10pm-11pm at the Scrapyard is Sir Spyro??

Can't figure it out from the description:
S.P.Y.R.O. B*ITCH one of the leaders in UKH. Spyro brings that BIG room energy with ferocious kick bass. Big room leads and epic drops, get ready to sweat it out on the dance floor? 

It won't be by the sounds of the description and not including his full name

16 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Anyone willing to put the lineup on clashfinder?

Just know this app will crash and they’ll be issues so would like to print something to bring with me just in case

Print screen your timetable on the app?

If they don't nail this then they are screwed.  Such a shame.  

Not revealing the line up until after the point tickets can't be sold on doesn't sit right with me. Neither does the cashless wristband.  If that was just an infrastructure improvement and not a cash cow it would have been shelved this year. 

That said, they've been dealt some massive blows over the last couple of years and I wish them all the luck in festival land.

Tbh for me it's just the aspect of not having anyone that feels like a headliner. Even if it was a smaller act with a good stage show behind them. Even acts like self esteem, dela soul, kae tempest could have been given a headliner set length but no. Like I think having definite headliners for each day makes for a great end to each day. 

47 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Like skindred in 2017 headlining town centre, caravan Palace in 2015, also I think people are upset by glaring omissions that seem so prime for boomtown like Damien marley green tea peng idles, who were on the cancelled lineup but are not returning

IDLES weren't on the cancelled line up, but I do get your point about some of the others missing this year.

My only problem with the line up is the gate keeping from the ‘maybe Boomtown’s not for you’ crowd.

It’s divisive and not helpful, not everyone follows everything lak and co post on social media, and there’s loads of first timers so people do have some allowance to moan.

I personally think it’s the best line up for the last 4 fests, I didn’t go to the headline slots previously anyway. Apart from chase and status which was not as good as other times I’ve seen them. 

It’s a delicate balance between alienating new punters and attracting the dreaded ‘wrong crowd’ 

The thing which has grated me is the back peddling that they have done recently in their interviews and statements, when compared to their initial lineup justification on their website:  we will continue to book incredible headline artists, and all the festival favourites, but by approaching our programming announcements in this radical way, we can create lineups that are even more phenomenal and diverse than we have ever been able to before.

'll be there and really hoping it goes well, but currently it does feel a bit like the last days of Bestival. Hoping I'm wrong!! 

14 hours ago, Sku said:

Boomtown have responded now too:

https://www.facebook.com/176130945746461/posts/pfbid0WkQRX3yhgZQDf8CWG965wUQdpnQS3TcmDWjeQstzxBNqELNy78baYsSFmrESAoC7l/?sfnsn=scwspmo

I forgot all about the partial refunds. 40,000 people got a partial refund to compensate them for the fact the festival would be scaled back!

Rather than refund £30 each to 40000 people, wouldn’t it be better to spend the £1,200,000 on the line up?

10 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I reckon this is in its last or second to last year imo. They better hope this year is a vintage year for attendees and no weather concerns.

9 hours ago, barcelonista1899 said:

The thing which has grated me is the back peddling that they have done recently in their interviews and statements, when compared to their initial lineup justification on their website:  we will continue to book incredible headline artists, and all the festival favourites, but by approaching our programming announcements in this radical way, we can create lineups that are even more phenomenal and diverse than we have ever been able to before.

'll be there and really hoping it goes well, but currently it does feel a bit like the last days of Bestival. Hoping I'm wrong!! 

Sadly I think the same.  Unless they pull off the best show they ever have, I think it's the beginning of the end.  I've sold my ticket (at a loss) and I know half a dozen people who've done the same.  This wristband business has changed my opinion of the organisation massively, as has dropping the lineup after the ticket sale deadline.  I actually think the line-up is OK, loads I would like to see on there but I've decided I don't want to do two festivals back to back. 

It really does remind me of Bestival - when you upset the party crowd, they find other options!

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I reckon this is in its last or second to last year imo. They better hope this year is a vintage year for attendees and no weather concerns.

You really can't say that before the event has even happened. Social media moaning is always an echo chamber. No idea if it's reflective of the broader customer base. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

You really can't say that before the event has even happened. Social media moaning is always an echo chamber. No idea if it's reflective of the broader customer base. 

I get your point but there's a lot of unhappy people on socials and a hell of a lot of people trying to shift tickets unsuccessfully.  

• Like 1