Boomtown Chapter 1: The Gathering

Jp2021

15 minutes ago, scriptfliper said:

I'm looking for 2 tickets (me and my wife) I'll need to change the name as I want to take my 2 children.

If anyone can't go for some reason then let me know.

Thanks!

Theres going to be a resale in May for any returned tickets. Got a few mates who were a bit slow tonight to get them and have now missed out.

Interestingly, their recently submitted licence application is still for the full 75,999 that they applied for previously. Though I don't think they were ever able to actually run nearly that high before the pandemic hit.

So given they've sold out, it wouldn't be a surprise if they're actively looking at how big they can make it.

Not read through it, but it may have some details of their specific plans for the year in the fine print somewhere.

1 hour ago, incident said:

Interestingly, their recently submitted licence application is still for the full 75,999 that they applied for previously. Though I don't think they were ever able to actually run nearly that high before the pandemic hit.

So given they've sold out, it wouldn't be a surprise if they're actively looking at how big they can make it.

Not read through it, but it may have some details of their specific plans for the year in the fine print somewhere.

They already have a license from the council for the 75,999. They just need to get it approved by the SDNP as well. Surely one of the only festivals which needs two sets of permission to do anything! (Also the only major festival in a national park...)

In the application it states that they won't be using the additional capacity in 2021, as they planning to run a smaller event. They don't put an exact number on it, but mention 2021 will be a notably smaller event than prior years.

They will scale back up over a number of years, as required. The idea is to solidify a core base of attendees, and grow more sustainably from there. They don't want to go "too big too quickly" again, if that means having to sell a lot of tickets to the "wrong crowd". That is my interpretation at least of what they explained to me, not necessarily the official position, so don't quote me lol!

• Upvote 1

On 2/26/2021 at 3:32 PM, Sku said:

They already have a license from the council for the 75,999. They just need to get it approved by the SDNP as well. Surely one of the only festivals which needs two sets of permission to do anything! (Also the only major festival in a national park...)

In the application it states that they won't be using the additional capacity in 2021, as they planning to run a smaller event. They don't put an exact number on it, but mention 2021 will be a notably smaller event than prior years.

They will scale back up over a number of years, as required. The idea is to solidify a core base of attendees, and grow more sustainably from there. They don't want to go "too big too quickly" again, if that means having to sell a lot of tickets to the "wrong crowd". That is my interpretation at least of what they explained to me, not necessarily the official position, so don't quote me lol!

SDNP is South downs National Park if anyone else had to Google it. 🤣

It's all about creating a product people want and there's huge demand for.

Do the festival, sell out. People want it. Make it a little bigger. Sell out. Rinse and repeat until they're where they want to be. 

Does anyone else think the reduced capacity this year may negatively affect the overall atmosphere? I’m not saying bigger is better and I trust Boomtown to put on a great show like always but surely having half the capacity of recent years might make a noticeable difference for the worse?

5 minutes ago, alf13 said:

Does anyone else think the reduced capacity this year may negatively affect the overall atmosphere? I’m not saying bigger is better and I trust Boomtown to put on a great show like always but surely having half the capacity of recent years might make a noticeable difference for the worse?

Only one way to find out. But probably not, I read the reduced capacity as a chance to focus on the stuff they want to do well. Like the smaller interactive elements. 

33 minutes ago, alf13 said:

That will depend on how the new set up feels. Moving 'all' of the districts Downtown will concentrate the smaller crowd in one area such that it'll likely feel more 'packed' than when there was Uptown too.

One of the big differences I anticipate is the possible loss of the lovely contrast between districts. For instance, District 5 couldn't be more different to Whistler's Green! And I love both of those for entirely different reasons and need them at different points in the festival. Will that variation be possible in the melee of Downtown? 

However, we should trust in the guys to create something incredible for us. Their philosophy has always been about creating something extraordinary, honest and genuine and I'm sure they'll do it again. Assuming it all happens as planned, we're in for one hell of a post-pandemic-party...!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

20 hours ago, alf13 said:

The atmosphere was much better when it used to be just in the bowl, in my opinion. The smaller crowd numbers will also mean it's more of a "hardcore" Boomtown attendee, who enjoys Boomtown for what it is, rather than someone who is just there for the line up.

21 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

That will depend on how the new set up feels. Moving 'all' of the districts Downtown will concentrate the smaller crowd in one area such that it'll likely feel more 'packed' than when there was Uptown too.

One of the big differences I anticipate is the possible loss of the lovely contrast between districts. For instance, District 5 couldn't be more different to Whistler's Green! And I love both of those for entirely different reasons and need them at different points in the festival. Will that variation be possible in the melee of Downtown? 

However, we should trust in the guys to create something incredible for us. Their philosophy has always been about creating something extraordinary, honest and genuine and I'm sure they'll do it again. Assuming it all happens as planned, we're in for one hell of a post-pandemic-party...!

Ben

So, just to understand this, everything will be down in the bowl this year where Bang Hai and the forests etc are?

What about Lions Den? Or is that just a stage rather than a 'district'?

Re. some of the earlier comments about downsizing being a bad thing, I've only heard good things about the earlier years of Boomtown when it was pretty small, so I wouldn't have too many worries. I've only been once, in 2018, and did think the size and layout of all the districts was pretty on point though.

10 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

So, just to understand this, everything will be down in the bowl this year where Bang Hai and the forests etc are?

Re. some of the earlier comments about downsizing being a bad thing, I've only heard good things about the earlier years of Boomtown when it was pretty small, so I wouldn't have too many worries. I've only been once, in 2018, and did think the size and layout of all the districts was pretty on point though.

If they stick with the plans as announced in October, it sounds like all (6) of the districts will be in the bowl, and outside of that some of the woodland things will be retained.

Lions Den is gone entirely, along with any other large stage outside the bowl/woodlands.

16 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

Someones had a stab at what they think the layout will be like for this year 

http://boomtownsource.com/boomtown-map-2021/

As mentioned it's based on nothing but comments from the organisers it is complete guesswork. Still pretty interesting though.

4 hours ago, mr flow said:

The atmosphere was much better when it used to be just in the bowl, in my opinion. The smaller crowd numbers will also mean it's more of a "hardcore" Boomtown attendee, who enjoys Boomtown for what it is, rather than someone who is just there for the line up.

You're my BT guru, so I'll take your thoughts as bang on. However, purely  from a 'selfish' POV, I wonder if I'll miss being able to 'get away' slightly if the separation of Whistler's Green is no more. 

Saying that, quite frankly, just bring it on...I'm so ready for this!

Ben

• Like 1

Each of the 3 campsite "villages" will also have live entertainment. This will be low key acts, with a "Whistler's Green" type vibe. Not dance music.

So while all the main headliners will be in the bowl, there will still be plenty of entertainment out on the further fringes, at both the retained forest stages, and at the 3 new campsite hubs.

Overall, the capacity reduction is not that substantial, especially as they unexpectedly sold a lot of tickets last week. Given the reduced footprint, it will probably feel about the same.

This all said, when they announced the "new vision" in October, they didn't know how successfully they would be able to sell the remaining tickets. I'm not sure if the sudden demand might change things a bit.

3 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Someones had a stab at what they think the layout will be like for this year 

http://boomtownsource.com/boomtown-map-2021/

As mentioned it's based on nothing but comments from the organisers it is complete guesswork. Still pretty interesting though.

I made the map. It's based on my discussions with the organisers, so there is at least some truth to it. However I took a lot of artistic license, particularly with the downtown layout. The main difficulty, is that the final layout is still quite fluid. It's quite possible there have been substantial changes since I spoke to them in October. I know of a few inaccuracies already, I might update it when I get a chance.

Edited by Sku
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, incident said:

If they stick with the plans as announced in October, it sounds like all (6) of the districts will be in the bowl, and outside of that some of the woodland things will be retained.

Lions Den is gone entirely, along with any other large stage outside the bowl/woodlands.

Ah, interesting, cheers. Not too put off with everything being down in the bowl but a shame about Lions Den for some of the bigger slots. Shy FX opening the festival up to 20 thousand or however many it was in 2018 was pretty special.

1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

You're my BT guru, so I'll take your thoughts as bang on. However, purely  from a 'selfish' POV, I wonder if I'll miss being able to 'get away' slightly if the separation of Whistler's Green is no more. 

Saying that, quite frankly, just bring it on...I'm so ready for this!

Ben

I think you'll still have some elements that you can get away from everything. Tribe of frog is still going to be in the same place, so you'll be able to go "uptown".

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, mr flow said:

I think you'll still have some elements that you can get away from everything. Tribe of frog is still going to be in the same place, so you'll be able to go "uptown".

That's great news. Two of my favourite ever festival nights were in TOF in 2018 🙌🏽

Ben