Music Festivals given go ahead from late May...

Chrisp1986

13 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Might not be a festival but I've just bought tickets for New Order and Hot Chip at Heaton Park and I am really excited at the prospect of live music in a field even as far away as September! Miss that ticket buying rush.

Hot Chip live should be compulsory viewing once restrictions are lifted. 

Nothing better. 

10 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

That’s the thing I don’t get with a lot of my mates reluctance. With most/all of these festivals, it’s either roll over or money back. If it doesn’t happen you can’t lose... but if it does happen and you don’t have a ticket, we’ll then you’re screwed for another year of live music. 

You can lose though.

Some of these festivals are going to go into administration if they can't generate income for 2 years or will have to water down the lineup next year.

32 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Nothing better. 

Hot Chip live from a socially distanced cattle pen was one of my best days last summer! 

27 minutes ago, xxialac said:

You can lose though.

Some of these festivals are going to go into administration if they can't generate income for 2 years or will have to water down the lineup next year.

If you love the event and can afford to it’s a risk worth taking. Over a third of ticket holders donated their tickets to Noisily last year so that the event survived. 

10 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Have you listened to Working Men's Club? Another good one on that lineup 

I've heard a few of their songs on 6music and they seem cool. Will have to familiarise myself more though! 

44 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Nothing better. 

11 minutes ago, stuie said:

Hot Chip live from a socially distanced cattle pen was one of my best days last summer! 

Must admit Hot Chip are the biggest draw for me, much as I love New Order. Watched the show in Margate from home last year and was in tears! Will almost definitely end up crying at this too, haha! 

I've bought the tickets for my partner's birthday as a surprise (and roped in his brother and partner), but it is definitely one of those presents that is definitely as much for me as anything. 

I think singing along to Regret, Blue Monday and True Faith in a field is going to be pretty special too.

Haven't booked any actual festivals yet, mainly because the ones I had my eye on have sold out or are a bit early in the season for me and the other half to feel super comfortable (Blue Dot for example, I think I need to feel a bit more used to being out and about first). Got my eye on a tiny one in August when it goes on sale or possibly Green Man. But if I only make it to a couple of outdoor gigs like this, it will definitely be a much better summer than last year!  

15 minutes ago, stuie said:

If you love the event and can afford to it’s a risk worth taking. Over a third of ticket holders donated their tickets to Noisily last year so that the event survived. 

Oh yeah, I agree on that completely.

I was only questioning the notion that you 'can't lose'. There's a decent risk of the festival not going ahead and the organisation running out of money. For many it's a risk worth taking.

37 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Oh yeah, I agree on that completely.

I was only questioning the notion that you 'can't lose'. There's a decent risk of the festival not going ahead and the organisation running out of money. For many it's a risk worth taking.

Many need to operate this year as they have either spent the ticket money generated from last year and now have even more costs to put on this year in advance, or as you say they won't survive another year of not operating.

1 minute ago, Paul ™ said:

Many need to operate this year as they have either spent the ticket money generated from last year and now have even more costs to put on this year in advance, or as you say they won't survive another year of not operating.

Yeah, exactly. Just cause we can't any signs of trouble yet, it doesn't mean there isn't a shitstorm brewing in the background.

These businesses rely on one big event a year. Take that away not just once but twice and all the while they still are incurring costs...they could simply run out of money.

Let's hope they can go ahead!

19 hours ago, incident said:

Outdoor events are allowed up to 4,000 people / 50% of capacity (whichever is lower) at Step 3 (likely May 17th).

So if they've got enough space for 8,000+ then they can theoretically run a 4,000 capacity event under the rules. No idea whether they'll actually be able to pull it off though.

Beardy Folk went ahead last September and is due to be held again in June just before restrictions end.  I emailed the organiser and it's the same provisions as last year - marked out spaces to sit in, one way in and out.  It worked well last year and although the music isn't my thing, it was great to be listening to live music in a field with beer in hand.  Have booked the time off and will be buying tickets for this year too.  

15 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Might not be a festival but I've just bought tickets for New Order and Hot Chip at Heaton Park and I am really excited at the prospect of live music in a field even as far away as September! Miss that ticket buying rush.

I really hope that Hot Chip get at least an hour to play. I think this New Order @ Heaton Park might be the event I'm most looking forward to this year tbh.

Not normally the kind of fest I'd do, but I'm hoping for Parklife to have a decent lineup too, so that I can make a proper fun weekend out of it.

9 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I really hope that Hot Chip get at least an hour to play. I think this New Order @ Heaton Park might be the event I'm most looking forward to this year tbh.

Not normally the kind of fest I'd do, but I'm hoping for Parklife to have a decent lineup too, so that I can make a proper fun weekend out of it.

It's doors at 4pm so I reckon it's possible they get quite a long set.

13 hours ago, nikkic said:

Nothing better. 

12 hours ago, stuie said:

Really wish I'd known about that Dreamland Margate gig.

On 3/5/2021 at 7:29 PM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Trying to convince my mates to get on this.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Trying to convince my mates to get on this.

Good luck! Seems to have taken a long time to sell as it went on sales ages ago didn't it? I think it's decent value for what it is, given you can pay 40-50 easily for a gig these days (or you did back when they were a thing).

If we didn't have somewhere to stay nearby I doubt I would go though as would involve accommodation and etc. 

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Good luck! Seems to have taken a long time to sell as it went on sales ages ago didn't it? I think it's decent value for what it is, given you can pay 40-50 easily for a gig these days (or you did back when they were a thing).

If we didn't have somewhere to stay nearby I doubt I would go though as would involve accommodation and etc. 

How much is it please? Quite a few of my mates are up for it. @Superscally are you going to this? Nads mentioned it on Facebollocks.

I like the bill - but have to say, it's one of the least musically diverse line-ups I've ever seen!

Probably massively behind here but just read this:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/mar/06/fans-and-artists-must-have-covid-vaccine-before-attending-music-festivals-say-organisers

What I don't get is... won't this cause massive trouble?! I'm 44 and I can't see myself having had both of my jabs by the time festival season starts! Having had one jab seems like it may be a reasonable compromise. (Am open to the idea that I may be being stupid here.)

9 minutes ago, Homer said:

Probably massively behind here but just read this:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/mar/06/fans-and-artists-must-have-covid-vaccine-before-attending-music-festivals-say-organisers

What I don't get is... won't this cause massive trouble?! I'm 44 and I can't see myself having had both of my jabs by the time festival season starts! Having had one jab seems like it may be a reasonable compromise. (Am open to the idea that I may be being stupid here.)

I've thought the same - it's a big issue that's looming, but with festivals being bottom of the priority list we probably won't get an answer until its too late. I personally think the result will be that any like those interviewed in that article where they have an older crowd will happen and refund the few younger people who have tickets, while the rest will have to postpone. 

I think one would be right too, but with the talk of the international vaccine passport needing two I can't see domestic things being any different unfortunately. My optimism is gone 

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

But past June, there won't be any restrictions according to the road map. Nothing in that article about needing two doses either

It'll be vaccine proof or negative test 24 hours before the festival I reckon.

My concern is the logistics - it didn't fill me with confidence seeing that reading and Leeds plan saying "test in front of an online doctor up to 36 hours before entry". That's hundreds of thousands of online doctor appointments in a tiny amount of time just for that one event, as their almost entire crowd will need it. which is for a start completely wrong, but taking that away are there enough appointments realistically? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

9 minutes ago, zahidf said:

But past June, there won't be any restrictions according to the road map. Nothing in that article about needing two doses either

It'll be vaccine proof or negative test 24 hours before the festival I reckon.

Also government mandated restrictions yes, but insurance companies can still demand events are made "covid safe" without any official government intervention

If the system is coming in, they won't undermine it by letting you bypass it at the start 

Edited by efcfanwirral

15 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

My concern is the logistics - it didn't fill me with confidence seeing that reading and Leeds plan saying "test in front of an online doctor up to 36 hours before entry". That's hundreds of thousands of online doctor appointments in a tiny amount of time just for that one event, as their almost entire crowd will need it. which is for a start completely wrong, but taking that away are there enough appointments realistically? 

But R/L are taking into consideration that a sizeable portion of ticket holders will be eligible to receive the vaccine and it wont be as much as you think. They arent expecting  say, half of them to need testing so the zoom appointments arent going to be that scarce. 

i dont have a problem with them requiring vaccine proof for entry. If you dont want it or are not able to get jt then you should receive a refund or have it rolled over to the following year. And yeah, if insurance companies are going to have strict requirements or they wont agree then thats how itll have to be for this year. And on top of that the government couldve just laid that all out. Im sure it would be a much different situation if No. 10 said vaccine or no entry to festivals. 

7 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

But R/L are taking into consideration that a sizeable portion of ticket holders will be eligible to receive the vaccine and it wont be as much as you think. They arent expecting  say, half of them to need testing so the zoom appointments arent going to be that scarce. 

i dont have a problem with them requiring vaccine proof for entry. If you dont want it or are not able to get jt then you should receive a refund or have it rolled over to the following year. And yeah, if insurance companies are going to have strict requirements or they wont agree then thats how itll have to be for this year. And on top of that the government couldve just laid that all out. Im sure it would be a much different situation if No. 10 said vaccine or no entry to festivals. 

Many under 30s are highly unlikely to have had the 2nd one by then (plus 2-3 weeks for it to become effective)  with the 3 month gap. That's where the issues come in. 

I agree with the last bit but it's political posturing - we all know where we're heading with proof of vaccination but they just won't admit it. Everyone should know where they stand now, but it's likely to be May when they finally admit it will be needed, far too late for festivals to plan 

I personally don't think any Zoom doctor appointments should be done to let people into a festival. Complete waste unless you hire some specific admin people to do it (which is an option- even a new company to certify people for events). It should never take away from real medical work 

It all needs to be laid out now so plans can be made all round - both for customers and festivals. Timelines can't be give but requirements can be 

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I personally don't think any Zoom doctor appointments should be done to let people into a festival. Complete waste unless you hire some specific admin people to do it. It should never take away from real medical work 

It all needs to be laid out now so plans can be made all round - both for customers and festivals. 

where has this doctor appointment thing come from ? ive done my tests myself as will most of the kids going back to schools and their parents ...