Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

Sam Carter from Architects constantly talks about his love for The Beatles and wears t-shirts and a battle jacket covered in their patches regularly (including the cover of the most recent Kerrang!). You can hear the influence in places on their new album, particularly the closing track. 

Edited by Andre91

Does that translate into new listeners, though - which is what they're going to need.

You can probably plot a route back from, say, Olivia Rodrigo through Lorde via multiple hops and wind up at The Beatles, but not sure anyone's going to slap Rubber Soul on the stereo as a result. And without people doing that they become less central to the conversation....

15 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

There's a bit in Billy Eilish too.

She did a cover of The Beatles like last month didn't she? And she's also executive producer of a new Peggy Lee movie.

I think there's even less of an eschewing of the past than there was among acts in the late 70's/early 80's, who were against all the rock dinosaurs and disliked Beatlemania and all that. There's still respect for the classics in rock and pop music.

Edited by dentalplan

21 minutes ago, Homer said:

Betty Boo is the most important artist of her generation.

(Yes I am watching reruns of 1990s Top of the Pops from BBC4 with a hangover.)

I bought Boomania a few years ago.  It's not bad, but full of the same samples that everyone else was using at the time.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Anyone who has picked up an instrument in the last forty years has been, either directly or indirectly, influenced by the Beatles.

Yeah, but isn’t that also true of Mozart? He influenced lots of musicians who influenced others who influenced others who influenced others etc 

Also, I’m not seeing much Beatles influence in Grime. 

9 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Yeah, but isn’t that also true of Mozart? He influenced lots of musicians who influenced others who influenced others who influenced others etc 

Stormzy on ‘incredible’ piano lesson from Paul McCartney: ‘I was like, ‘Flipping heck!”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/stormzy-piano-lesson-paul-mccartney-2394572

21 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I can name one rock act whose guitarist was heavily influenced by both Mozart and Bach.

3 minutes ago, kalifire said:

At their best, Stock, Aitken and Waterman were knocking out peak 80’s brilliance. 

Or... they were shite, everything sounded the same, just with a different vocalist.

The only decent thing they did was Roadblock and that was when they were pretending to be someone else.

I should add this is not a controversial view, everyone apart from Kalifire knows it to be true.