Your most controversial music opinions

CaledonianGonzo

I think artists should be able to tweak and update albums like Kanye with The Life of Pablo. It would be great if fans/reviewers provided some feedback and artists took it on board, rather than leaving the 3/5 review to sit there looking all mediocre and average. Games get patched, books get updates, why do albums never get anything except a remaster or a few bonus songs?

Who wouldn't want a Pablo Honey V2 with all reworked songs?

I hope Taylor sets a trend with remaking her albums for other acts to try something similar. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, reflekting said:

I think artists should be able to tweak and update albums like Kanye with The Life of Pablo. It would be great if fans/reviewers provided some feedback and artists took it on board, rather than leaving the 3/5 review to sit there looking all mediocre and average. Games get patched, books get updates, why do albums never get anything except a remaster or a few bonus songs?

Who wouldn't want a Pablo Honey V2 with all reworked songs?

I hope Taylor sets a trend with remaking her albums for other acts to try something similar. 

I’d rather artists look forwards rather than backwards.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've no issue with it in theory, but endless tinkering and tweaking can indicate a lack of confidence in the material - TLOP being a case in point.

I wouldn’t want to see the flaws and missteps retconned out of artists’ work. It’s all part of the process IMO.

Pablo Honey was cited as an example, it’s by no means a perfect, or even good, album but it was the first step en route to something bigger and better. It would be a shame to lose that.

Just to add further to this. An album is meant to be an expression of an artist’s vision. It’s released (or at least should be) exactly as they wish it to be heard. If they start going back and making changes based on audience reaction then it becomes a betrayal of that vision and starts to become something made by committee rather than the artist themselves.

The comparison with games doesn’t hold either. Games are hugely complex and interactive works these days. There are bugs and flaws in games that may not be picked up until they are out in the wild and patching allows to fix bugs and improve the user experience. If anything I’d argue that patching culture has actually damaged the industry as developers rush out buggy and unfinished games knowing that they can fix them on the fly (Cyberpunk, Anthemn, Avengers all recent examples).

An album is released as a finished product, if people don’t like the content then tough.

I'd just like to declare that when Mumfords headlined, I was in the Glade (actually, it was the Spirit of 71 stage) watching Eat Static Vs System 7 with about 14 other people (runs off the check Steve Hillage isn't a Scientologist).

Edited by Homer