One change I'd make to the festival is....

Leyrulion

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

Sorry - I figured as a person who had  responded a few times I was being classed as "shrugging and saying 'nothing can be done"

Whereas what I'm trying to say is:-

1. Anything you do can't be at the festival (or good causes) expense. If you wish to pay Paul, then we'd need to rob Peter. I've no problem with some people paying extra for glamping or whatever - as long as its not vip areas. 

2.  I have to repeatedly come back to - how do you qualify those who are in need? I honestly can't think of a way. 

3. A grubby truth - some of the attendees these days would be less sympathetic of subsidising others than in the past, that's my perception at least, as there are even people who admit to being tories there these days 😉

1. As mentioned before, they keep expanding the site to allow more people to attend. If, say, they have an increase of a few thousand in 2025, why not do something with those tickets? And it is a good cause in itself. It's good for communities.

2. Of course there are ways. Less privileged people are identified in society all the time. I've been on jobseekers allowance, and I'm sure many people here have too. It's quantifiable.

3. People who have a problem with it don't have to go. More spaces for everyone else, and the festival would be better for it.

7 hours ago, gfa said:

Student tickets would be great (although i'm finishing up 3rd year now so little to use to me). I don't know anyone else past our group doing glastonbury but 50+ going to R&L, Wireless or Parklife.

Student ticket? Great idea as long as they also do pensioner tickets as well😊😉

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wanderlei said:

1. As mentioned before, they keep expanding the site to allow more people to attend. If, say, they have an increase of a few thousand in 2025, why not do something with those tickets? And it is a good cause in itself. It's good for communities.

2. Of course there are ways. Less privileged people are identified in society all the time. I've been on jobseekers allowance, and I'm sure many people here have too. It's quantifiable.

3. People who have a problem with it don't have to go. More spaces for everyone else, and the festival would be better for it.

There are already about 50,000 opportunities to work instead of buy a ticket.

I’m not sure your idea of handouts is a goer. What about people who don’t want to go to a festival? Can they choose something different for their trip? 

4 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Now you're being silly

Yes, now you’ve taken a sentence out of the context of the post it sounds like I suggested that should happen. 

1 hour ago, Neil said:

cos theres not enough students there already.

As I said elsewhere, you could argue there isnt. I don’t know any students that went to Glastonbury while I was at Uni (2013-2018), but I know maybe 60 people who went in 2019 and will be there in 2022, all graduated and now working. 

12 minutes ago, stuie said:

I’m not sure your idea of handouts is a goer. What about people who don’t want to go to a festival? Can they choose something different for their trip? 

I can put it all in if you like 😃

Still reads the same

Also 50,000 opportunities, are they free or get the ticket and work, or would a large deposit be needed first. I have no idea by the way. I thought most had to pay upfront. 

6 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

I can put it all in if you like 😃

Still reads the same

Also 50,000 opportunities, are they free or get the ticket and work, or would a large deposit be needed first. I have no idea by the way. I thought most had to pay upfront. 

Many are free - those which already have established trusting relationships like the rotary and carnival clubs and some litter crews I believe. 

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Many are free - those which already have established trusting relationships like the rotary and carnival clubs and some litter crews I believe. 

Aye  cool. I know I get mine without a deposit. Not sure how easy it would be for the festival to Insist that some are open to people on low income. 

Edited by fred quimby

6 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Swap the Worthy View pre erected camp site with Silver Hayes. Rebrand Silver Hayes and have it open until the early hours, a new addition to the naughty corner, which would be sprawling.

Putting music up there would cause trouble in terms of noise bleed from the site - Pennard Hill provides a natural barrier to sound bleed from the southern boundaries of the site. Like the lateral thinking though. 

7 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

Swap the Worthy View pre erected camp site with Silver Hayes. Rebrand Silver Hayes and have it open until the early hours, a new addition to the naughty corner, which would be sprawling.

And get even more people over that side? Why not make Silver Hayes/Dance Village etc more desirable and split the crowd.

7 minutes ago, whitehorses said:

And get even more people over that side? Why not make Silver Hayes/Dance Village etc more desirable and split the crowd.

I didn't think they could play loud music that side of the site past 11pm as it is closer to residents areas, happy to stand corrected though.

Personally speaking in 2019 I didn't feel the SE corner overly bust at any points.

6 minutes ago, ProperTea said:

I didn't think they could play loud music that side of the site past 11pm as it is closer to residents areas, happy to stand corrected though.

Personally speaking in 2019 I didn't feel the SE corner overly bust at any points.

Ahhh. Rings a bell. 
I don’t really remember how busy it was tbh…

Also leave the neverending student grift out. I’ve been a broke student amongst groups of other broke students at glastonbury, its perfectly possible.

As others have mentioned, even if your cashflow isn’t the best, the volunteering schemes are there.

Student tickets would only guarantee more irritating middle class Quentins who don’t know how to behave themselves.

One of the best things about the festival is the diversity of ages and how secure and laid back it is as a result, as compared to say the edge of a leeds festival or parklife. This will be my 6th glastonbury and I still haven’t been covered by any airborne piss yet. Long may that continue. No to student tickets.

• Upvote 1

The festival is noticeably particularly white in terms of attendees but I'm still not entirely sure what the problem with that is which needs to be "solved" by ring fencing a set number of tickets.

For me the issue is around music and music festivals potentially becoming exclusive in terms of attendees but I'm really not convinced giving discounted tickets to one specific festival is how you solve that. 

Glastonbury and other festivals putting effort into campaigning to allow other communities to be able to organise their own events through removing inbuilt discrimination that still exists to stop those events happening would be the logical thing for me. A good example is the successful scrapping of the 696 form but there will be other things like that which still exist which need to be removed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/form-696-scrapped-racist-police-paperwork-claims-london-mcs-djs-grime-garage-a8048821.html?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, stuie said:

Eh? Why would someone who didn't want to go get a ticket? And why would Glastonbury give them a subsidised holiday to somewhere else? And you seem to be confusing a handout with an affordable price.

I've already said that I volunteer, and that's how I get in. I enjoy it, but spaces are competitive for new folk, and a lot of people aren't aware of the opportunity. But why should a less privileged person have to clean up a rich boy's feces, and miss most of the festival? Especially when they probably spend most of their time working a shit job anyway.

2 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

The festival is noticeably particularly white in terms of attendees but I'm still not entirely sure what the problem with that is which needs to be "solved" by ring fencing a set number of tickets.

For me the issue is around music and music festivals potentially becoming exclusive in terms of attendees but I'm really not convinced giving discounted tickets to one specific festival is how you solve that. 

Glastonbury and other festivals putting effort into campaigning to allow other communities to be able to organise their own events through removing inbuilt discrimination that still exists to stop those events happening would be the logical thing for me. A good example is the successful scrapping of the 696 form but there will be other things like that which still exist which need to be removed.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/form-696-scrapped-racist-police-paperwork-claims-london-mcs-djs-grime-garage-a8048821.html?

The 'ring fencing' technique was just one thing that has come out of the conversation. All I was suggesting at the start was that something more should be done. More campaigning, awareness-building, and other schemes may well be a better idea.

3 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Also leave the neverending student grift out. I’ve been a broke student amongst groups of other broke students at glastonbury, its perfectly possible.

As others have mentioned, even if your cashflow isn’t the best, the volunteering schemes are there.

Student tickets would only guarantee more irritating middle class Quentins who don’t know how to behave themselves.

One of the best things about the festival is the diversity of ages and how secure and laid back it is as a result, as compared to say the edge of a leeds festival or parklife. This will be my 6th glastonbury and I still haven’t been covered by any airborne piss yet. Long may that continue. No to student tickets.

I agree there.

11 hours ago, MaxPower said:

As I said elsewhere, you could argue there isnt. I don’t know any students that went to Glastonbury while I was at Uni (2013-2018), but I know maybe 60 people who went in 2019 and will be there in 2022, all graduated and now working. 

Admittedly this is a long time ago when festivals were much cheaper, but most of my friends (all of similar ish ages) were at uni from 1999 until I think the last one finished in 2006.

Everyone went to lots of festivals in and around that point, when we all used to come home from uni for the summer the main aim was to earn enough money from a summer job to afford Glastonbury, Truck and Reading!  We always managed it, mostly by bringing as much food and beer with us as possible etc. Can be done on a budget.

Then much further down the line in 2011 I found myself out of work and a Glastonbury ticket to pay for, felt I shouldn't go but a mate of mine wanted me to come, and paid my balance and I paid him off in three instalments and I then managed to save between April and June about £200 from here and there to afford to go.