One change I'd make to the festival is....

Leyrulion

23 minutes ago, gfa said:

Its a raffle to have the chance to purchase - more demand than supply basically. Costs nothing to enter although sometimes they will do charity ones too

Is this the crazy world of sneakers or something even more exotic that being a person with about 5 pairs of shoes would go right over my head?

54 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So if paper tickets were removed and a digital version replaced them, you think there would be no increase in people trying to pass off digital versions as real?

Tickets are paper now and a tiny bit of DD from anyone will confirm this (as that twitter poster did) as soon as they go digital then it’s open season from any scammer.

I really don't think that would be the case. Clear communication about what specific delivery method is used would solve that. So anything outside that would have people be able to flag it as a scam. E.g. "no, it has to be on the see tickets Glastonbury app that's a scam" 

57 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I was booking an overseas hotel a couple of weeks ago, tons of credit on the card in question, attempted 4 times and each time they did one of those notional transactions for a tiny amount but it failed very time.  I'd been reading on here about new transaction authorisation so had already checked their app and it said nowt, so phoned the card company, waited an hour to speak to them and they said "there's no issues on the card, we're getting a lot of these with spain and portugal where it seems as though they're not specifying the 3 digits when they put the payment through". 

I also tried another card without success, so in the end just chose a different hotel with the 1st card without issue.

Having typed that I realise that's not quite the same as pages crashing though.

Not the best analogy, but it’s a bit like with the covid vaccinations, if you vaccinate tons if people it stands to reason that in the weeks after people will naturally get certain illnesses, but it doesn’t mean it’s down to vaccine. Process 40k card payments in 30 minutes and some will fail, sure some of it will be system related but some of it won’t. It’s frustrating for those it affects but ultimately it’s a very small minority. After all, every ticket is bought and paid for within about 30 minutes, so the overriding majority of transactions that go through are absolutely fine and seamless. I get it’s incredibly frustrating for the minority it happens too, but unfortunately its not something that affects the festival in any way. They’re is absolutely no incentive for them to create convoluted systems to solve a problem that has no impact on them, especially when some of it is out of their control anyway, some payments will inevitably fail. I’m sure they’ve got other things to worry about.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

My suggestion is to load details and maybe pre-authorise payment, not take any cash at the point of entry, much like the current process of purchasing limited edition drop clothes and trainers. They would only process the payment once you've secured the ticket. if you're unsuccessful, you don't get charged.

My thinking is by pre-entering as much information as possible, it leaves you clear to join in the scramble for the ticket. For example, the week leading up to the sale you could:

Enter your registration and postcode details, which could act as a check that they're correct and up-to-date. For you and your friends.

Add your payment details, ensuring that the card type is valid and all other associated information is correct. 

These two pre-checks alone could reduce the stress and frustration of potentially mis-typing, mis-reading, friends giving you old or incorrect reg details, etc and it reduces the number of screens you have to go through at the point of sale. 

Sometimes, securing the ticket is the easy part! After that, you have the payment screen, of which we know is littered with instances of people being thrown out.

If pre-entering information means that nabbing tickets is a straight shoot-out, I reckon it's fair game.

I like this idea. Last time I had input all the regs etc and kept getting knocked back when trying to pay. It turned out I was forgetting to enter the last four numbers on my debit card; I was so lucky to get away with it.

2 minutes ago, Back of the Pymild said:

Do they have drug testing kits at Glasto? If not I'd introduce them.

Be good to know if you've been lumbered with crappy MD. Leave a bad review on Google for your dealer.

I believe the Loop have been involved with other festivals but not Glastonbury for some reason (as far as I can recall?).

Just now, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I believe the Loop have been involved with other festivals but not Glastonbury for some reason (as far as I can recall?).

I'm not sure if I'm making this up but I recall something about the council objecting to the loop operating in the festival.

Shame really because they do such good work.

Though just checked and drug test kits are relatively cheap and easy to get a hold of so if one was so inclined.

14 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

I'm not sure if I'm making this up but I recall something about the council objecting to the loop operating in the festival.

Shame really because they do such good work.

Though just checked and drug test kits are relatively cheap and easy to get a hold of so if one was so inclined.

Yeah I think I’d heard similar … 

16 minutes ago, BambooShanks said:

Not sure what the story is specifically regarding Glastonbury - but The Loop are put in a difficult situation generally.

To operate, they basically need both the Licencing Authority and the the Local Police to consent to it. Even then, with the concept proven to be hugely beneficial and both the LA and Police on side, in 2019 they were unable to run front of house testing at Boomtown and their other festivals because of some Government bullshit. Don't know if that ever got resolved.

6 minutes ago, incident said:

Not sure what the story is specifically regarding Glastonbury - but The Loop are put in a difficult situation generally.

To operate, they basically need both the Licencing Authority and the the Local Police to consent to it. Even then, with the concept proven to be hugely beneficial and both the LA and Police on side, in 2019 they were unable to run front of house testing at Boomtown and their other festivals because of some Government bullshit. Don't know if that ever got resolved.

Just go back 3 decades, have the geezers with tents up the top of the hill from the pyramid.  One of them out the front with a bit of cardboard advertising their wares.  That was obviously pukka and quality gear 😉 

4 hours ago, Madyaker said:

More showers

Yep.

On 3/20/2022 at 7:24 PM, FrankieX said:

A lot more showers, on the west side of the site where the majority of the camping areas are.

I've been to the last three Latitudes due to fallow year/not getting Glastonbury ticket/COVID, and I swear there are more showers there than Glastonbury despite having roughly a third as many festival-goers. Add in that Glastonbury is a five-day festival and requires a lot more walking, there's a lot of very ripe people come Monday morning.

4 hours ago, Back of the Pymild said:

Do they have drug testing kits at Glasto? If not I'd introduce them.

Be good to know if you've been lumbered with crappy MD. Leave a bad review on Google for your dealer.

https://www.wedinos.org/

This thing is good - ran by the welsh government but anyone in the UK can use it.

On 3/22/2022 at 1:17 PM, Rose-Colored Boy said:

But the current system doesn’t benefit those who are more organised. Currently you can boot up the computer at 9:15am and have basically the same chance of success as someone who has been hitting F5 constantly since 08:59:59. A virtual queue where you just wait for your turn to (hopefully) come up would solve that, and not be a massive tweak either. 

But if your internet drops for 5 seconds at precisely 9am you're shit out of luck. It'd also create the problem that many claim already exists, in that those with faster connections or living closer to the point of sale would have better luck. 

On 3/22/2022 at 1:26 PM, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

and 2) the system to try and get tickets was fair, simple and reliable.

Fair and reliable are two different things. The current system isn't reliable, but it is fair. That's because where the system fails, it's equally likely to fail for any given person. Frustrating, for sure, but not unfair.

18 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But if your internet drops for 5 seconds at precisely 9am you're shit out of luck. It'd also create the problem that many claim already exists, in that those with faster connections or living closer to the point of sale would have better luck. 

Fair and reliable are two different things. The current system isn't reliable, but it is fair. That's because where the system fails, it's equally likely to fail for any given person. Frustrating, for sure, but not unfair.

This for me is the key point. You are (in my own opinion) rewarded for preparation and persistence. 

If it crashes you keep going and keep hitting F5 until you have no hope. 

A virtual queue takes all that away. 

This for me is why so many people get to go year on year. 

A queue would just be a pseudo lottery. It would be the ‘fairest’ system of all in that everyone would in theory have an equal chance, but everyone would end up getting to go much less often than if they just maximised their chances using the current system. The people advocating for a queuing system would soon be complaining when it was implemented and they still didn’t get tickets most years due to the basic rules of supply and demand. If you could actually game a queue system with multiple ips etc. Then the people who don’t like the current system would have even lower chance in a queue system anyway.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton