One change I'd make to the festival is....

Leyrulion

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I didn't mean ban them, but they need to do something about scenes like this:

article-2349467-1A88107D000005DC-989_964

And now that I'm an old fuddy duddy with nothing better to do, I'll try to hang onto my can if I see a bin like this, but surely you've seen W Holts when all the bins are full?  It's just a bit crap.

Yeah I totally get you,  there's always going to be pinch points with bins, and despite how many are put out its a guessing game how many are needed.  Its not a nice sight for sure but also not tough for anyone to keep carrying the empty can until they find an emptier bin which will probably not be far away .

I more panicked at the thought of 'large skips in the ground' that get emptied less frequently /after the festival .... as then I'd lose my job lol (purely selfish of course ;-))

7 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Yeah I totally get you,  there's always going to be pinch points with bins, and despite how many are put out its a guessing game how many are needed.  Its not a nice sight for sure but also not tough for anyone to keep carrying the empty can until they find an emptier bin which will probably not be far away .

I more panicked at the thought of 'large skips in the ground' that get emptied less frequently /after the festival .... as then I'd lose my job lol (purely selfish of course ;-))

They're been put out before though, and they keep putting them back in the same place and they keep filling up

If you're panicking that you might lose your job (presumably as a litter picker?) then I'm going to take that as an indication I'm onto something!

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

They're been put out before though, and they keep putting them back in the same place and they keep filling up

If you're panicking that you might lose your job (presumably as a litter picker?) then I'm going to take that as an indication I'm onto something!

Onto nothing , I;m just a humble painter of the bins who is praying your idea is not a good one 🙂 . I love the bins I does x

• Like 1

I wonder if they could do a campaign like don't pee on the land but it's "don't throw your cans on the ground" Name tbc.

Then have bigger recycling points throughout the fest which are essentially giant holes in a wall leading to a skip for cans and another for plastics? 

Could back onto backstage areas so they can be emptied regularly, or have them next to lock ups and water points?

The aim being to get people to carry their empties at the end of a set for another 15 minutes until they get to a recycling point?

3 hours ago, Mimo said:

OR maybe do away with that area altogether and start over? Arcadia and the naughty corner do dance music much better anyway and are open all day. They could change it to a chill out space with loads of sheltered and shaded food places and cafes, relaxing music of all genres on small stages with plenty of benches and cushions and whatnot. An oasis for when it’s too hot or too wet, somewhere you know will almost always have places to sit comfortably to chill and recupera

You'd need to replace it with something though right? It's another draw away from the headliners for some people. They had camel phat and leggy gou in 2019 who were quite big then.

I wonder if they could rejig by swapping with lower mead and woodsies campsites and making oxlyers bigger? 

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Revamp the acts/line-ups for all of the Theatre/Circus/Cabaret bit - I get that it's a huge community of friends but there's so much good stuff out there that having the same people back, often doing the exact same act, multiple times during the festival, every year... it makes it a side-show. It is not the place to go to see exciting new circus/theatre/comedy talent. The first few years I went I was able to spend most of my festival in those areas seeing new and amazing stuff because it was all new to me. Can't do that now as I've seen most of it before. It's an attitude that would never be accepted on the music stages.

Good shout.  I'd love to see the RSC and national performing in front of a rowdy crowd, and imagine what punchdrunk and kneehigh could do at Glastonbury

18 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Someone came up to us and said this in in oxlyers in 2019, so maybe it's still a thing? We were just never in the campsite long enough to enjoy a call fire!

There were a couple of area's in Oxlyers that someone at the festival for the solo polo group to use, there was a pre-defined walkway in to both area's and a fire pit. maybe it was someone from that group?

18 hours ago, eFestivals said:

and Acoustic Tent, and ... etc, etc, etc.

In 2007, I wrote this:-

an open letter to Michael Eavis

Did you ever get any sort or reply / feedback? certainly seems that some of the points have been addressed / taken up? 

from what i can see as i've now started to watch some of the festival on you tube etc is that there does seem more than enough youngsters going now, a good mix of ages i think. middle class / not the early days hippy types, well agree that that side of things must be very different now from the early years but the festival have defiantely encouraged that as you mentioned in the letter.

i'd like the dates to be changed back to the ones for the early years, having it on on near the summer solstice would be great. I saw a few years back that they moved the timing and hoped it might get a mention in the 50th book but i've read past the years when the change happened and haven't seen anything explaining why that decision was made.

1 hour ago, The other Bellboy said:

Did you ever get any sort or reply / feedback? certainly seems that some of the points have been addressed / taken up? 

from what i can see as i've now started to watch some of the festival on you tube etc is that there does seem more than enough youngsters going now, a good mix of ages i think. middle class / not the early days hippy types, well agree that that side of things must be very different now from the early years but the festival have defiantely encouraged that as you mentioned in the letter.

Nope, never heard anything. no idea if Michael or Emily even read it (tho I know Emily as well as other bigwigs do sometimes read here).

But it was an easy target I reckon, so I'm not really surprised that 13 years later some of what I raised has happened. Glastonbury has always evolved.

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

perhaps they'll call it "love the farm, leave no trace".

Yeah, I like that. They should do it.

😛 

Haha, fair point!

I think one of the other changes done people have touched on is continuing the development of interesting things in The SE corner, maybe giving it a little bit more if a boomtown vibe. Continuing the awesome interactions with that giant face they had in 2019.

22 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

You'd need to replace it with something though right? It's another draw away from the headliners for some people. They had camel phat and leggy gou in 2019 who were quite big then.

I wonder if they could rejig by swapping with lower mead and woodsies campsites and making oxlyers bigger? 

Yeah that's true. I can't remember what Arcadia had on at 10pm last time? I always love a Glade headliner but it's a bit restricted for space. I suppose the naughty corner is a bit out of the way too.

It's definitely the one part of the festival they've never quite got right despite almost constant rearranging, but I'm sure they'll get there in the end. Moving John Peel up the hill made a huge difference, it's so much nicer in that field with the woods there too. Never would have thought that even 5 years ago.

• 1 year later...