2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Somto Unigwe Raphael said:

But Kendrick doesn’t have a subdued live show that may rely on audience participation to come across well. Was that not the poster’s point?

In what way is Billie’s live shows subdued? Her festival sets from 2021 had the entire crowd bouncing. 

To her fans or not it’s going to be the same songs played on the night.

23 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

As someone who isn't a fan of Billie (won't be there) but is a fan of Stormzy (was there)

Who is likely to have the bigger crowd?

I can't actually remember the crowd for Stormzy as it was a messy one.

On TV Stormzy’s crowd looked pretty healthy. I reckon Billie’s will be pretty strong.

Sidenote - but me and my friend in 2017 had a wander while Ed was on and thought we’d stick our head round to see him. We came up round the back by the beat hotel and really struggled to get around the side of the pyramid. We ended up having to turn back because it was really hard to move through. Watching Ed back on TV the crowd didn’t look half as big as it felt on the night.

I think depending on where you are crowds seem either packed or sparse. Some parts of the field bottleneck more easily than others. I had plenty of room for Coldplay in 2016 and I thought that was relatively well attended.

Kanye felt super busy but I was right down in the pit where he went over with the crane. Radiohead I was comfortably in the middle and I felt like the crowd was quite small.

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

In what way is Billie’s live shows subdued? Her festival sets from 2021 had the entire crowd bouncing. 

I’ve never watched a Billie Eilish show, I’m going by their initial post that started the conversation where they said Billie’s 2019 set appeared to rely on audience participation.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

For me, it's the way she performs herself. Her catalogue is strong, but from what I watched earlier of Reading 2019 and Firefly 2021, her performance as a front-person leaves a lot to be desired. It came across to me that the set relies heavily on the stage setup (the Firefly one was pretty fucking incredible) and the audience singing the songs for her.

For me, I wonder how long she can realistically hold the audience

12 minutes ago, K2SO said:

For me, it's the way she performs herself. Her catalogue is strong, but from what I watched earlier of Reading 2019 and Firefly 2021, her performance as a front-person leaves a lot to be desired. It came across to me that the set relies heavily on the stage setup (the Firefly one was pretty fucking incredible) and the audience singing the songs for her.

For me, I wonder how long she can realistically hold the audience

I've been saying this too. Might be proven wrong but I just don't think that Glastonbury is gonna have that kind of partisan crowd that belts out the words to all twenty songs, given the closed ticket sale.

I don't think it's a contentious point either, really. It's a prediction based on an observation of her shows and her music, along with an understanding of what headliner crowds can be like.

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I've been saying this too. Might be proven wrong but I just don't think that Glastonbury is gonna have that kind of partisan crowd that belts out the words to all twenty songs, given the closed ticket sale.

I don't think it's a contentious point either, really. It's a prediction based on an observation of her shows and her music, along with an understanding of what headliner crowds can be like.

And in the same vein I have worries about Kendrick’s set having a lot of moments the crowd won’t know. When he plays shows in America / R&L he can expect the crowd to rap along to every lyric, but will that be the case at Glastonbury with a closed ticket crowd?

Although I don’t think the glasto crowd is so fickle that there will be a mass exodus every time a headliner plays a song a chunk of the crowd doesn’t know. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

And in the same vein I have worries about Kendrick’s set having a lot of moments the crowd won’t know. When he plays shows in America / R&L he can expect the crowd to rap along to every lyric, but will that be the case at Glastonbury with a closed ticket crowd?

Although I don’t think the glasto crowd is so fickle that there will be a mass exodus every time a headliner plays a song a chunk of the crowd doesn’t know. 

Certainly not gonna disagree about Kendrick. Given what's generally been said about his festival performances, I'm not expecting one for the ages. And I think he'll get the smallest headliner crowd in a long time as well. But I'm very excited to see him anyway, if he's still playing.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

FWIW I have absolutely no hopes for Kendrick. I think it's going to be one where the performance isn't necessarily bad, but the overall reaction will be a shrug of the shoulders after his set. Those that like him will love it, but I think you're going to see one of the emptiest crowds for a headliner slot for years (especially if it is on Sunday)

I don't know if it's just the circles I mix with, but I know of the 16 people I have tickets with, not a single person cares in the slightest bit about him and most of the time if I talk to somebody about the festival and they ask who are the rumoured headliners are, I get the "who?" look when he's mentioned.

Personally, I hope the Kendrick rumours turn out to be false and we get someone else

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, K2SO said:

FWIW I have absolutely no hopes for Kendrick. I think it's going to be one where the performance isn't necessarily bad, but the overall reaction will be a shrug of the shoulders after his set. Those that like him will love it, but I think you're going to see one of the emptiest crowds for a headliner slot for years (especially if it is on Sunday)

I don't know if it's just the circles I mix with, but I know of the 16 people I have tickets with, not a single person cares in the slightest bit about him and most of the time if I talk to somebody about the festival and they ask who are the rumoured headliners are, I get the "who?" look when he's mentioned.

Personally, I hope the Kendrick rumours turn out to be false and we get someone else

I think Kendrick is an incredible artist and I am very excited to see him. But I too am not really trying to convert my group to care about it. In my group there are a few who worship him like a god, and some that are a bit confused he was/is headlining Glastonbury at all. 

I think it’s a great booking and I know I’m going to enjoy it. However, I know it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and I don’t think there’s going to be much in it for casual attendees. I do think though that Glastonbury shouldn’t be afraid to book headliners that won’t necessarily set the festival on fire. They should continue booking the most respected and well known acts when they get the chance. Kendrick has received some career defining accolades and his material is some of the best in hip hop. He deserves to headline regardless of whether the festival could book more crowd pleasing options. Not every headliner needs a Mr Brightside.

One thing I love about Glastonbury is they don’t completely buckle under and feel mortgaged to book whatever Glasto Chat FB would prefer. I think the future of the festival is dependent on some polarising headliner choices. (And no that does not mean bumping up a band like foals) but actually taking risks that may not win the popular vote of their serial attendees.

Edited by Matt42

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I mean is it glasto’s fault that some acts who they thought were going to tour in 2022 didn’t? I don’t think blaming the festival is on the money really.

Who said it's Glasto's fault? They can obviously only work with the acts available. It's possible to be disappointed while accepting the reality of the situation.

What's strange is that I'd be disappointed if Harry headlined, but if he subs Billie, that would be an incredible one-two on the Friday night. I wouldn't be there to see it, but I can appreciate that line up.

37 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think Kendrick is an incredible artist and I am very excited to see him. But I too am not really trying to convert my group to care about it. In my group there are a few who worship him like a god, and some that are a bit confused he was/is headlining Glastonbury at all. 

I think it’s a great booking and I know I’m going to enjoy it. However, I know it isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and I don’t think there’s going to be much in it for casual attendees. I do think though that Glastonbury shouldn’t be afraid to book headliners that won’t necessarily set the festival on fire. They should continue booking the most respected and well known acts when they get the chance. Kendrick has received some career defining accolades and his material is some of the best in hip hop. He deserves to headline regardless of whether the festival could book more crowd pleasing options. Not every headliner needs a Mr Brightside.

One thing I love about Glastonbury is they don’t completely buckle under and feel mortgaged to book whatever Glasto Chat FB would prefer. I think the future of the festival is dependent on some polarising headliner choices. (And no that does not mean bumping up a band like foals) but actually taking risks that may not win the popular vote of their serial attendees.

I've got to be honest, I am in the latter camp. I get he's big in his genre, but does his appeal stretch beyond his genre and transcend into general pop culture? For me, it's a no. Maybe in the US, but not in the UK. If I were to compare a similar act in a different genre, do you think we could ever see Slipknot headline Glastonbury? They're probably a much bigger name than Kendrick to the general population but they'd be lucky if the Eavis' even had their number.

I do agree with the point that Glastonbury should book the hottest artists from a wider market though. However, they do need to be wary that Glastonbury is THE cultural event of the summer, and it's shown on the most watched channel in the UK. They don't necessarily have to pander to the audience, but they would have to keep some factors in mind, such as what they have on against those acts and what day they're slated to perform.

I'd imagine if Kendrick does play on the Sunday, and you get some take-them-or-leave,them acts against him, you'd have a hell of a lot of people leaving the festival on Sunday.

Obviously I'm not in the know as Neil or some other posters are, but for that reason I personally doubt the information as it suggests that they have Kendrick booked for the Sunday.

Isn't it Pet Shop Boys that have been suggested to play Other against them? For me, you've also got to be very strong on JP, The Park and West Holts to keep people at the festival on Sunday night.

22 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I've got to be honest, I am in the latter camp. I get he's big in his genre, but does his appeal stretch beyond his genre and transcend into general pop culture? For me, it's a no. Maybe in the US, but not in the UK. If I were to compare a similar act in a different genre, do you think we could ever see Slipknot headline Glastonbury? They're probably a much bigger name than Kendrick to the general population but they'd be lucky if the Eavis' even had their number.

I do agree with the point that Glastonbury should book the hottest artists from a wider market though. However, they do need to be wary that Glastonbury is THE cultural event of the summer, and it's shown on the most watched channel in the UK. They don't necessarily have to pander to the audience, but they would have to keep some factors in mind, such as what they have on against those acts and what day they're slated to perform.

I'd imagine if Kendrick does play on the Sunday, and you get some take-them-or-leave,them acts against him, you'd have a hell of a lot of people leaving the festival on Sunday.

Obviously I'm not in the know as Neil or some other posters are, but for that reason I personally doubt the information as it suggests that they have Kendrick booked for the Sunday.

Isn't it Pet Shop Boys that have been suggested to play Other against them? For me, you've also got to be very strong on JP, The Park and West Holts to keep people at the festival on Sunday night.

Personally I'm a big Kendrick fan so I'd be there but if I didn't like the headliners I'm sure I could find something to amuse me! I really don't think many would leave early, you'd be mad to.

ymmv but I went to Billie's set at a fest in 2018 indifferent (knowing only one song) and came away a bit of a stan because of how good/engaging her performance was (and this was when she just had a screen behind her and her brother, no fancy stage setup). Different people like different shit and find different shit engaging. 

Edited by shivroy

6 hours ago, K2SO said:

Maybe if the weather has been grim and everyone's worn out but otherwise that seems a mad suggestion. People may not be that fussed by Kendrick but there's no way that means loads of people are just going to sack off the climax of the festival.

I can possibly see them having one controversial headliner. 

The boy band reject would make news and get people talking, same with Billie Ellish. Both controversial acts but at least people have heard of them. 

Outside of this forum I’ve never even heard of Kendrick. There will be a lot of people on seeing his name on the poster are going to go “who the fuck is that?”

A headliner doesn’t have to be to everyones taste. Coldplay and Sheeran are proof of that but they have to be well known.

I’m not saying Kendrick shouldn’t be there but if PSB are on at the same time then more people are going to watch them because they know who they are. KM is likely to be on a smaller stage. 

Kendrick is well known though. They’ve hardly booked a nobody. Also I would hardly classify Billie as a controversial booking. Just because she’s a modern artist that some older attendees may not pay attention to doesn’t mean it’s controversial.

Edited by Matt42

20 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The boy band reject would make news and get people talking, same with Billie Ellish. Both controversial acts but at least people have heard of them. 

Outside of this forum I’ve never even heard of Kendrick. There will be a lot of people on seeing his name on the poster are going to go “who the fuck is that?”

A headliner doesn’t have to be to everyones taste. Coldplay and Sheeran are proof of that but they have to be well known.

I’m not saying Kendrick shouldn’t be there but if PSB are on at the same time then more people are going to watch them because they know who they are. KM is likely to be on a smaller stage. 

Kendrick is lower profile than Coldplay and Ed Sheeran but he's on a par with Arcade Fire in terms of being critically acclaimed and big in his genre without necessarily crossing over into the wider public psyche. He's the only ever popular music winner of a Pulitzer FFS.

33 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I can’t see Kendrick playing and not headlining especially after he was booked to headline in 2020. TPAB is one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the last 20 years. He’s just as big, most likely bigger than the Pet Shop Boys. They’re just targeting completely different demographics, so they’ll split the crowd just  fine. 

44 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

No offence but you sound a bit old man shouting at cloud here. Kendrick is a headliner. He was headlining last time. If he plays he gets a decent crowd. He’s not a nobody even if he’s not at the top of everyone’s wishlist. Moving him to a smaller stage ain’t happening.

Also not too sure about the point that PSB will get a bigger crowd. 

Edited by Matt42
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Kendrick has a Pulitzer Prize? He’s a headliner. One of the biggest names in his field and already headlined Reading.

However, he doesn’t pass the Mum Test. My mum won’t have heard of him (not sure she knows Billie either, to be fair) whereas Harry does - and would absolutely smash a Pyramid slot.