2022 Headliners

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I wonder if SHM will headline the other next year?

How big are they in the U.K. generally and specifically amongst the Glasto demographic. Perhaps I’m too old but they barely registered with me. Just background commercial dance. Maybe they have a massive audience, who knows? 

40 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

How big are they in the U.K. generally and specifically amongst the Glasto demographic. Perhaps I’m too old but they barely registered with me. Just background commercial dance. Maybe they have a massive audience, who knows? 

They headlined Creamfields this year and did o2 shows etc. They are still huge and would be strong for Other Stage, lots of commercial hits so would be well attended i'd assume

Just catching up ...  so we have gone from potentially being spoiled for choice this year with a backlog of top level acts as potential headliners to ... Florence and the Machine, SHM and Tyler the Creator all being mentioned?  Genuinely surprised at the amount of support for Flo doing it again - that would be so uninspiring.

23 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

10 pages today. My conclusion is it's nailed on for:

Billie/Sam Fender/Dua lipa

I would take that line-up in a heartbeat - best I have heard in the whole ten pages.   All artists on a big upward trajectory, 2 females, all have never headlined before, and I reckon they would all smash it.   I'm still naively clinging onto the hope of Taylor, but I would be more than happy with that

Edited by circus92
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, circus92 said:

Just catching up ...  so we have gone from potentially being spoiled for choice this year with a backlog of top level acts as potential headliners to ... Florence and the Machine, SHM and Tyler the Creator all being mentioned?  Genuinely surprised at the amount of support for Flo doing it again - that would be so uninspiring.

SHM for Other Stage in all fairness, which would be a big booking considering they have headlined pretty much every festival under the sun over the past 10 years.

To throw another name in, Muse only have IOW and unless they are at Latitude theres nowhere else for them to announce but its not billed as a UK exclusive? Dates work too and obviously have a history with the festival.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

SHM for Other Stage in all fairness, which would be a big booking considering they have headlined pretty much every festival under the sun over the past 10 years.

To throw another name in, Muse only have IOW and unless they are at Latitude theres nowhere else for them to announce but its not billed as a UK exclusive? Dates work too and obviously have a history with the festival.

Muse are in Majorca over GF weekend.

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

They're in Mallorca on the Sunday I think? It's really hard to tell, contradicting info on different websites. So would have to play Saturday.

04, 10, 16, 22? Every six years? Although there is no pattern.

If Sam Smith or George Ezra didn't headline after two albums why would Sam Fender, unless I'm massively missing something? I like Sam Fender, seems decent, but shit me.

Obviously, Daphne & Celeste could be announced and I'd still be ecstatic to be on the farm with all its other delights, but headliners on paper - if Flo/Fender are added to the bill that's atrocious.

I actually think, (and this is probably a provocative thing to say even though it was me that predicted them)… but I think SHM might be a bit too big for Glastonbury. In the sense that they are guaranteed to get one of the biggest crowds of the weekend at any festival they play.

I’d call them the biggest dance act in the world… by stealth. Not many people will talk about them but they have huge crowd pulling power.

It’s hard to explain in words. But if they were on a poster a lot of people would probably say “ah cool” and not make much of a song and dance about it. However on the night they would steal a huge amount of attendees from other stages. In the same way that Calvin Harris would be one of the biggest artists of the weekend if Glasto booked him, despite not many people making a song and dance about the announcement. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I actually think, (and this is probably a provocative thing to say even though it was me that predicted them)… but I think SHM might be a bit too big for Glastonbury. In the sense that they are guaranteed to get one of the biggest crowds of the weekend at any festival they play.

I’d call them the biggest dance act in the world… by stealth. Not many people will talk about them but they have huge crowd pulling power.

It’s hard to explain in words. But if they were on a poster a lot of people would probably say “ah cool” and not make much of a song and dance about it. However on the night they would steal a huge amount of attendees from other stages. In the same way that Calvin Harris would be one of the biggest artists of the weekend if Glasto booked him, despite not many people making a song and dance about the announcement. 

I don’t quite agree with all this - except of course they are undoubtedly very big. But mainly I think if they were available and interested then Glastonbury would book them. And it would be a good party for sure. 

On 1/3/2022 at 4:00 PM, dentalplan said:

Gonna do a RAG recap of who has dates announced to establish that the two (who Neil would mark as a TBC if he still could) not having tour dates yet is no big deal because of how few names are actually on the map so far.

• Adele (BST exclusive)
  • Arctic Monkeys (R+L)
  • Biffy Clyro (Download)
  • Bruce Springsteen (no dates yet but leaks; rumoured date for Belgium on Sunday - b2b very unlikely)
  • Coldplay (ruled themselves out)
  • Dave (R+L)
  • Dua Lipa (in Norway Sunday)
  • Eagles (in Dublin Friday, London Sunday - 3 days in a row very unlikely)
  • Ed Sheeran (in London Friday, Saturday)
  • Elton John (in London Friday, Bristol Sunday - 3 days in a row very unlikely)
  • Florence and the Machine
  • Foo Fighters (in Manchester Saturday)
  • Gorillaz (Germany Friday, Luxembourg Sunday)
  • Green Day (in UK Friday, Saturday; Dublin Monday - 4 days in a row very unlikely)
  • Guns N' Roses (in France Saturday, b2b dates in different countries very unlikely)
  • Imagine Dragons (UK exclusive show in Milton Keynes)
  • Iron Maiden (Download)
  • The Killers (too soon)
  • Kings of Leon (in Dublin Friday, Belfast Sunday)
  • Liam Gallagher (in Belfast Friday, Glasgow Sunday)
  • Metallica (in Germany Friday, France Sunday)
  • Muse (headlining IOW; in Spain Sunday)
  • Pearl Jam (in Italy Saturday)
  • Rage Against the Machine (R+L)
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers (in London Saturday and Sunday)
  • Royal Blood
  • Stormzy (too soon)
  • The Strokes

I believe that's pretty much it. Given that the green names would all cause fierce arguments on whether they could headline, I think it's easy to expect that more names are forthcoming despite many festivals having announced their lot.

Billie Eilish, Dua Lipa and Florence & The Machine would not surprise me. It would certainly be a statement, and one I can imagine the festival making.

Edited by ProperTea