Will the 2021 festival go ahead?

JoeyT

Glastonbury 2021   

434 members have voted

1. 1. Following the Oxford Vaccine news will it go ahead?

• Yes - I 100% believe
    • Yes - I think so but not close to 100%. Need to see how the roll out progresses.
    • Maybe - I'm 50/50
    • Unlikely - Even with the latest news I think it's unlikely to take place
    • No - The vaccine news is great but I can't see 200k people being allowed at Worthy Farm in June.

2 hours ago, ivan said:

I am due to see Lanterns on the Lake in late Feb , which i think is the 4th rearranged date.

If everything is not in place or thought to be not in place i can see it getting moved again.

My last remaining non-rescheduled date for early in the year is The Ocean in Bristol which is the 4th Feb. 
Surprised it hasn’t been rescheduled already.

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

I realise that, the reschedules have not surprised me in the least.

Just wondered if they had some sort of confirmation that it was definitely a no-go as they all came though this morning.

Maybe all the bands are on the same promotion?

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

I know it’s your MO ... but are you ever positive about anything on here ? Or in life ? .... not this particular post ... I just quoted this one to ask the question 

tenor.gif?itemid=16078957

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

It's not the cart blanche underwriting of all tv and film production due to covid issues and the government knows it stands to make money it a production goes ahead. 

Edited by Lycra

9 minutes ago, rmartin1803 said:

I seen emily liked this tweet earlier regarding a guy donating his ticket deposit to the festival 

@crazyfool1 got a similar response when he tweeted her the same thing. 

I have no problem paying a second deposit if needed. £50 is nothing in the grand scheme of things per person going to the festival to ensure it’s survival. 

Of course there will be some who may struggle to find a spare £50 but in that case can they justify the expense of Glastonbury anyway? 

11 hours ago, jparx said:

I went back and checked the quotes from Emily after we were told off a few weeks ago for still talking about it. 

For those who have been asking, we have no plans to move next year's Glastonbury to September 2021 - we're still very much aiming for June," 

To me that does not equal “it will definitely not move.” It’s not preferable and they’re only focusing on June right now, but if we get to March and things are still up in the air, I still believe they would look at other options. They might look at moving it and dismiss it fairly quickly, but Emily’s quote there doesn’t mean there’s 0% chance of September in my opinion. It’s probably a 2% chance as we speak, but a chance none the less and it could increase as time moves on.

Told off?

22 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Or does he mean pay next year's deposit on top of a donation? Either way you are getting into pay to jump the queue territory but maybe that's what will be needed to keep it afloat.

I think he's offering to write off this year's deposit if it keeps the festival afloat for 2022, or to pay full price for the 2021 festival, even though he's already paid a deposit. 

I interpreted the tweet that Emily liked as the dude offering to sacrifice his current deposit (for 2021) and let the festival keep it. In exchange he’d like to be given the opportunity to buy a new deposit for 2022. 

I can see that happening - the festival giving a couple of options of what they do with existing deposits (refund or donate to the festival). I don’t think a guaranteed 2022 ticket would be conditional on a donation though. 

Anyhow, it’s a little telling that Emily is liking such suggestions. The momentum definitely doesn’t feel like it’s positive for next year at this point. 

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

The momentum definitely doesn’t feel like it’s positive for next year at this point. 

I'll agree with that.

As things stand it's a total leap in the dark because the govt won't say what happens when death rates fall and hospitals are no longer at risk of overload.

If the govt did that, Glastonbury could evaluate the chances of having those lower heathcare demands.

But as things stand, Glastonbury could accurately guess the future of the virus but still be shafted by govt policy. 

The govt needs to lay out their policy. The more certainties there are about the future the better a business can evaluate the overall risks of proceeding.

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'll agree with that.

As things stand it's a total leap in the dark because the govt won't say what happens when death rates fall and hospitals are no longer at risk of overload.

If the govt did that, Glastonbury could evaluate the chances of having those lower heathcare demands.

But as things stand, Glastonbury could accurately guess the future of the virus but still be shafted by govt policy. 

The govt needs to lay out their policy. The more certainties there are about the future the better a business can evaluate the overall risks of proceeding.

If you look at how the Government has handled e.g. the travel policy, it's changed every 5 minutes and they are clearly making it up as they go along.

If we weren't being governed by a bunch of indecisive spivs, I'd be much more confident that we'd have a Glastonbury. Lack of a planning framework is so harmful for business.

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

I interpreted the tweet that Emily liked as the dude offering to sacrifice his current deposit (for 2021) and let the festival keep it. In exchange he’d like to be given the opportunity to buy a new deposit for 2022. 

I can see that happening - the festival giving a couple of options of what they do with existing deposits (refund or donate to the festival). I don’t think a guaranteed 2022 ticket would be conditional on a donation though. 

Anyhow, it’s a little telling that Emily is liking such suggestions. The momentum definitely doesn’t feel like it’s positive for next year at this point. 

I read it the same, but much as the festival may privately view this as one solution to the financial crisis I just can't see them going cap in hand and actually asking people to bail them out. I think it's more likely that the festival would make statements about their uncertain future and trust in their supporters to help out without actually asking for it.  Which of course would happen.