Football 2020/2021

zahidf

The technical aspect of VAR works as a system. 

What doesn’t work is how the Refs use it. Biased refereeing isn’t going to change just because the refs can see more angles of an incident. If anything it gives them more excuse to award penalties to their favoured teams that otherwise they wouldn’t have spotted. 

In rugby league, when the decision goes to the video decision system, it’s a separate match official who decides the outcome. Although the rules are a lot less open to interpretation when it comes in being in touch or ball being grounded. 

On 12/8/2020 at 7:59 PM, DareToDibble said:

The Thiago signing feels more like something I dreamt. He signed for us, played 2 games and was never seen again. I can't claim to know too much about his injury history and Barca and Bayern but he's currently recovering from that horror tackle against Everton.

Do bayern give you fit players?

15 hours ago, thetime said:

Do bayern give you fit players?

Granted Bayern don’t normally let players go without a good reason but I don’t think that was actually the case here. He had a new contract offer on the table for them but wanted to move on. They sold him to us as it was that or lose him for free.

But it’s not a great start on the injury front mind!

16 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Or alternatively, so many decisions are subjective that VAR can never give the definitive answer for many incidents.

Some people realised that before seeing VAR in action.

There's something to be said about issues with the fact some key rules were altered to make VAR work but have had done nothing to make subjective rules into technically correct ones, and have just had the affect of making the waters muddier.

I would say its like the whole Black Mirror thesis where the technology is neither good nor bad, but it can be used for good and bad with equal measure and with unintended consequences. So it could only ever be as good as the referees, who are as dysfunctional as they were before VAR. 

It does make for a different experience watching VAR-free EFL games and seeing it flow in a less awkward manner.

10 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Leeds confirmed as the newest member of the “Big 6” Sorry Chelsea you’re not relevant anymore. 

Newcastle in the top 8? And people say we're not a big club. Or we're just massive at drawing attention to ourselves.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

There's something to be said about issues with the fact some key rules were altered to make VAR work but have had done nothing to make subjective rules into technically correct ones, and have just had the affect of making the waters muddier.

I would say its like the whole Black Mirror thesis where the technology is neither good nor bad, but it can be used for good and bad with equal measure and with unintended consequences. So it could only ever be as good as the referees, who are as dysfunctional as they were before VAR. 

It does make for a different experience watching VAR-free EFL games and seeing it flow in a less awkward manner.

Newcastle in the top 8? And people say we're not a big club. Or we're just massive at drawing attention to ourselves.

Mostly people mentioning how much of a c**t Ashley is I assume.

7 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think it was City fans laughing at the fact Newcastle wrote to CAS, over an issue that had absolutely nothing to do with them, in an attempt to fuck City over at the behest of other Premier League clubs, only for those same Premier League clubs to then fuck Newcastle over, in their quest for new ownership.

Edited by eastynh

9 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Either that or moaning about the fact that last season, our best performances came in the wins over Sheffield United and Bournemouth behind closed doors.

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

I think it was City fans laughing at the fact Newcastle wrote to CAS, over an issue that had absolutely nothing to do with them, in an attempt to fuck City over at the behest of other Premier League clubs, only for those same Premier League clubs to then fuck Newcastle over, in their quest for new ownership.

I don't remember much talk of Man City as a club that were central to that social media bunfight after the takeover collapsed. Most of the arguments seemed to be about Liverpool and Spurs as they were 2 clubs I recall being heavily named as being particularly against the Saudis taking over. For that matter, I don't really remember us being that involved in the attempt to ban Man City from UEFA contests. Maybe its the ECA membership Newcastle used to have roping us in.

Still, that debate is kinda old news now given Man City got let back in. The takeover thing ain't, given that there's the festive tradition of Newcastle being linked with a takeover just in time for the January window so we don't sign anyone.

1 hour ago, charlierc said:

Either that or moaning about the fact that last season, our best performances came in the wins over Sheffield United and Bournemouth behind closed doors.

I don't remember much talk of Man City as a club that were central to that social media bunfight after the takeover collapsed. Most of the arguments seemed to be about Liverpool and Spurs as they were 2 clubs I recall being heavily named as being particularly against the Saudis taking over. For that matter, I don't really remember us being that involved in the attempt to ban Man City from UEFA contests. Maybe its the ECA membership Newcastle used to have roping us in.

Still, that debate is kinda old news now given Man City got let back in. The takeover thing ain't, given that there's the festive tradition of Newcastle being linked with a takeover just in time for the January window so we don't sign anyone.

City had nothing to do with the rejection of Newcastles proposed take over. I think City's ownership would have been well behind Saudi investment. The fans did have a chuckle though at Newcastle writing to Cas, only for them to then get fucked over by Liverpool, who they were trying to assist in fucking City over.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

To me the main issue with United has been the recruitment. I am not sure how heavily he is involved with this.

I suspected someone may come back with this, I don't really agree. From my perspective most of the players Man Utd have brought on have been logical signings. I think there is a good argument that they have overpaid and not got the most out of players, but I think most made sense. I also think under OGS the signings have been more logical than some of his predecessors.

At the same time Arsenal seem to have a focus on one super agent which has resulted in them buying Cedric (a player I never noticed at Southampton) and 2 Brazilian players past their sell by date.

Another factor is for all the talk about great young talent. I don't think any of their prospects have stood out.