Football 2020/2021

zahidf

13 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Let's hope the fans are allowed in, would be a great day.

Particularly intrigued as to how many could attend. I believe the stadium is 3k capacity. Gov guidelines are 2k or 50% of capacity, whichever is lower. In this case, how would 1.5k fans in a 3k capacity stadium work with social distancing etc when only 2k fans can attend a 60k capacity stadium in London?

On 11/21/2020 at 7:49 PM, Hugh Jass said:

City are closer to Brighton in 16th than Liverpool in 4th.

Thats aged well.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:12 AM, jyoung said:

Unlucky for some(one)

😜

On 11/26/2020 at 9:41 AM, jyoung said:

Paging@eastynh

Looks like England will be VERY lucky to have a player like Foden. Another great performance on the top stage.

On 11/26/2020 at 5:37 PM, pink_triangle said:

Devil's advocate, but is Olympiacos in a group game the top stage? Surely doing it more consistently in league games where they are dropping points is a more valid standard?

It is pointless me continuing my Foden crusade. He is 20 years old and stands out amongst seasoned internationals. Him and Greenwood are super talents and England are fortunate to have both. Foden is the better all round player, but its an awful long time since I have seen a youngster who can finish like Greenwood.

51 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Thats aged well.

It is pointless me continuing my Foden crusade. He is 20 years old and stands out amongst seasoned internationals. Him and Greenwood are super talents and England are fortunate to have both. Foden is the better all round player, but its an awful long time since I have seen a youngster who can finish like Greenwood.

I have said he should be in the England team rather than clogging it up with Barclay type players who won't play any meaningful match. My point was I don't think the opposition was a good measuring stick of his talent.

50 minutes ago, thetime said:

If liverpool and Brighton both win thats still the case though.

You forget City will have a game in hand on those teams.

City have played well this season. We had no pre season, had an injury list that was worse than Liverpools, yet we are slowly on the climb.

We had one poor second half against Leicester, after playing them off the park in the first, gave away3 penalties while having no fit centre halves or forwards. We got Mourihno'ed in the Spurs game, despite being the better team.

Overall this season there are plenty of positives with City.

50 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I have said he should be in the England team rather than clogging it up with Barclay type players who won't play any meaningful match. My point was I don't think the opposition was a good measuring stick of his talent.

Hes 20 years old. He is way ahead of where any other English midfielder has been at the same stage of their career, in the premier league era.

I don't understand the obsession with everone wanting to run him into the ground.

He has been the best player in the country at every age group, since being 14 years old. He was the best player at a junior world cup. He was the best England player at the under 21 euros, despite being 4 years younger than some of the players, he played alongside and against.

This year he has had more minutes on the pitch than players like Bernardo.

He is playing every Champions League match. He will learn more by playing the likes of Porto, Marseille and Olympiakos away, than playing against Burnley and Fulham at home.

Most of the time he is younger and smaller than every other player on the pitch, yet he still stands out and has the ability to change a game. He needs using sensibly, not grinding into the ground. Look what happened to Rooney and Gazza. Both of them were finished as top class footballers by 30.

City have ignored all the crap from the media and nurtured him correctly. They will reap the rewards going forward.

30 minutes ago, eastynh said:

You forget City will have a game in hand on those teams.

City have played well this season. We had no pre season, had an injury list that was worse than Liverpools, yet we are slowly on the climb.

We had one poor second half against Leicester, after playing them off the park in the first, gave away3 penalties while having no fit centre halves or forwards. We got Mourihno'ed in the Spurs game, despite being the better team.

Overall this season there are plenty of positives with City.

So have united, top here we come. #champions 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, eastynh said:

Hes 20 years old. He is way ahead of where any other English midfielder has been at the same stage of their career, in the premier league era.

I don't understand the obsession with everone wanting to run him into the ground.

He has been the best player in the country at every age group, since being 14 years old. He was the best player at a junior world cup. He was the best England player at the under 21 euros, despite being 4 years younger than some of the players, he played alongside and against.

This year he has had more minutes on the pitch than players like Bernardo.

He is playing every Champions League match. He will learn more by playing the likes of Porto, Marseille and Olympiakos away, than playing against Burnley and Fulham at home.

Most of the time he is younger and smaller than every other player on the pitch, yet he still stands out and has the ability to change a game. He needs using sensibly, not grinding into the ground. Look what happened to Rooney and Gazza. Both of them were finished as top class footballers by 30.

City have ignored all the crap from the media and nurtured him correctly. They will reap the rewards going forward.

Who is running him into the ground. I agree if your getting regular minutes for city it's impressive for anyone, never mind a 20 year old. 

At the same time there has always been a tendency for oveehyping young English players performances, Wilshire v Barcelona being an example.

Youth football is a measuring stick, but I always have a degree of caution. I remember seeing hugo viana for portugal and thinking he was the next great thing. 

The next step for Foden is to become that difference maker in the big games. The difference between beating and losing to Liverpool, winng and losing league titles and champions leagues. No reason he can't reach that level, but I am happy to wait, rather than assuming he will.

In terms of comparing an Olympiakis with Fulham, I am not convinced a Man City player learns a lot in either match.

54 minutes ago, eastynh said:

United look like a poor team who play dire football. What they do have is a clutch of rapid and game changing forwards who can turn a game on its head in an instance.

Pretty much spot on. 

How united are still in all competitions is beyond me. 

1 hour ago, thetime said:

Pretty much spot on. 

How united are still in all competitions is beyond me. 

I think United will be challenging for a top 4 place, they are just not consistent enough to win it. If Bruno gets injured, you can forget a top 4 finish though. I would not put it past them to win any of the cups though.

Will be interesting next week. They say styles make fights. City are the perfect style for United really. It will depend on whether City take thier chances.