Princess Diana - Where were you?

Monkey Allen

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can’t envisage another public figure these days whose sudden death would provoke such a public outpouring of grief... except for Michael of course.

The only one I can think of is Attenborough, but not remotely like Diana's. That was...odd

Edited by Quark

Just now, Quark said:

The only one I can think of is Attenborough, but not remotely like Diana's. That was...odd

Obviously the shock aspect was a huge factor, it wasn’t like, say The Queen, who I’m sure will provoke a huge amount of public grief but at the same time will have been expected to some degree.

This just came completely out of nowhere and J don’t think people knew how to react.

23 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Got a copies of a few newspapers covering her death and funeral. Having said that I’ve got loads of old papers right back to WW2 , things like Hitler dead, war is over, the coronation, Prince Charles investiture, Cuban missile crisis, 9 11. Etc. Any momentous occasion. My dad used to keep them and I’ve just kept adding to them. Keep them up in the loft. 

i had visions

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was at my house with my mates getting pissed for my birthday. For years afterwards, my birthday was ruined by it being commentated. 

I have to say, I felt absolutely nothing. And I didn't understand anyone who did until nearly 20 years later when Bowie died.

This speaks to me dude. It was also the first time I was genuinely upset with the death of someone in the public eye. The only other time was Carrie Fisher. And tbf I'm still sad whenever I think about either of them. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

not as big an embarrassment as this post....

Flippantly put, but that was my personal experience at the time. People were losing their mind over this person they didn't know whose only claim to fame seemed to be marrying a parasite. 

It was baffling and embarrassing. I've mellow (a little bit) since, but for that whole week, having people weeping and signing a book at work was  embarrassing. It just was.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Flippantly put, but that was my personal experience at the time. People were losing their mind over this person they didn't know whose only claim to fame seemed to be marrying a parasite. 

It was baffling and embarrassing. I've mellow (a little bit) since, but for that whole week, having people weeping and signing a book at work was  embarrassing. It just was.

I mean to be fair to her she did do a fair bit of charity work. But yeah. So do a lot of people.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I mean to be fair to her she did do a fair bit of charity work. But yeah. So do a lot of people.

As I say, I've mellowed. I eventually had a similar reaction with Bowie, who of course I never met, and of course was just another death to a lot of other people. So I get it, sometimes something strikes a chord and sometimes it doesn't.

But in 1997? It just felt cringeworthy.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
to -> with

Not to sound insensitive or robotic, but why do some people get so emotional over the death of someone they don't personally know?

I understand being upset about it, obviously it's not something to be happy about. I can understand reflecting on their life, reading about them, perhaps listening to their music or watching their films (or whatever it is they did).

But I hear about people crying their eyes out over celebrities and it does confuse me a wee bit. Maybe it's just that I haven't  lost anyone that I'm a HUGE fan of yet.

I was 13 and just starting to develop a real interest in journalism so remember some of the awful red-top headlines about her and Dodi’s relationship.

My dad woke me up early in the morning by shouting ‘How did the Princess of Wales die?’ (Obviously didn’t know as he woke me up!). Played for my youth football team later in the morning and we had a minute’s silence at half time (!).

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

i had visions

Actually they are neatly preserved in polythene files and catalogued. There’s not been a helluva lot or earth shattering events that would make their way into the collection so it doesn’t take up much loft space. Mind you, cancelling Glastonbury probably should have made it in!   

9 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Actually they are neatly preserved in polythene files and catalogued. There’s not been a helluva lot or earth shattering events that would make their way into the collection so it doesn’t take up much loft space. Mind you, cancelling Glastonbury probably should have made it in!   

anything from the pandemic ? its obviously massive but not sure how you would choose an article ?

Edited by crazyfool1

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

anything from the pandemic ? its obviously massive but not sure how you would choose and article ?

Nah, it has to be a momentous headline like the King is dead, Hitler dies in his bunker,  Bismarck sunk, world waits on Cuba crisis, JFK shot, Coldplay headline Glastonbury and CrazyFool successful in resale. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Nah, it has to be a momentous headline like the King is dead, Hitler dies in his bunker,  Bismarck sunk, world waits on Cuba crisis, JFK shot, Coldplay headline Glstonbury and CrazyFool successful in resale. 

haha ...lets get the Festival gets the go ahead headline first ... and we can go from there :) 

15 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

Except we'll get a day off work, right? 😁

Probably a week off. There’s already plans prepared for if it happens although there are strong rumours that she is actually immortal and is planning on sticking around till her reign can pass to William and then she’ll finally return to her lizard home world. 😂