Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The Tor should have a one way system.  Up one side. Down the other!   Thought the who’d a thought it pub wouldn’t have been open. 

Sorry didn't see this before previous post.  'Who'dy' was open on Saturday afternoon.

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

We were there on Saturday....mostly all closed as you say, including the King Arthur, but the 'Who' A Thought It' along from Knight's chippy was open and serving at their outside tables.  Seemed quite busy.

The Riffes is open, including an area curtained off for the Old Farts.

King Arthur are due to open middle of July.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Sorry didn't see this before previous post.  'Who'dy' was open on Saturday afternoon.

That’s good, I suppose the pubs with beer gardens will be the most popular. Thinking of a visit down sometime if Mrs c can get time off.   Does the riflemans boast an outside area? 

5 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

The Riffes is open, including an area curtained off for the Old Farts.

King Arthur are due to open middle of July.

As I was typing the previous  post you had just answered my question!  What’s the somerset definition of an old fart? 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Sad story all 'round this:

A mature student mate of mine threw a pint glass in a bar while pissed up one night. Ruined his life at the time it did. Possibly permanently ruined the young girls life who got glass in her eye.

Cue criminal record. Cue kicked out of uni losing promising academic future (it was a uni bar iirc). He was already a borderline alcoholic and he just spiralled downwards. Cue dumped by girlfriend.

Last I saw of him was about two terms after that, when he was being walked away by the police for trying to enter one of the colleges whilst drunk, carrying a knife, wanting to speak to his ex .

And this was a really, really intelligent bloke otherwise.

The demon drink indeed.

Yep lots of sliding doors stories in people's lives. I remember when I was at uni 2 guys got in a fight outside a curry house. Both of them were rugby players 1 a kiwi who was visiting on some rugby trip and the other was an 18 year old 6th former. The 6th former threw a punch that killed the other guy before he hit the ground. The odds of that happening are incredible but as a result one kid never went home to his family and the other got a criminal record that no doubt completely changed the trajectory of his life. 

I remember being quite conscious of it recently though when I noticed how many posh people on Desert Island Discs have been either suspended or expelled from schools and still managed to go on and achieve amazing things. Couldn't help thinking that if you are black and from Brixton it's probably a bit less likely. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

As I was typing the previous  post you had just answered my question!  What’s the somerset definition of an old fart? 

The old Farts are a bunch of locals who always sit in the front corner of the Riffes. The outside area is ok if a little fragrant with the 'erb. As PD says the King Arthur has a great garden and I think better beer. 

• Upvote 1

I went to a local craft ale and taco place  on Saturday afternoon and it wasn't as weird as I thought it would be.

You had to pre-book and had a slot of 1.5 hours so they can shut and clean in between groups of people. Sanitiser on tables, distancing tape  and a few "table rules" etc but all things I can get behind if it means businesses get to survive.

It was nice to be able to go out for lunch and a couple of pints again but I think I'm going to stay clear of places in the evening for now, unless the weather picks up and outside can be utilised. 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Three pubs have temporarily shut due to coronavirus now - not many in the grand scheme of things, but let's hope the tracing works! 

Iirc I was only obliged to give my first name and postcode Saturday night. How many other people with my postcode also share my (not uncommon) first name? That's clearly not going to work is it.

The place I visited earlier that day wanted first name and a contact number. Obviously way more sensible, but how easy would it be to just give false information? It'd be shooting yourself in the foot imo,

However I can see some selfish and/or skint and/or just plain thick people thinking, "Well, I can't afford to self isolate for fourteen days, just because I was in the same room as someone who may or may not have caught the virus".

Wonder how many of the patrons of those three establishments will be untraceable?

1 minute ago, MrZigster said:

Iirc I was only obliged to give my first name and postcode Saturday night. How many other people with my postcode also share my (not uncommon) first name? That's clearly not going to work is it.

The place I visited earlier that day wanted first name and a contact number. Obviously way more sensible, but how easy would it be to just give false information? It'd be shooting yourself in the foot imo,

However I can see some selfish and/or skint and/or just plain thick people thinking, "Well, I can't afford to self isolate for fourteen days, just because I was in the same room as someone who may or may not have caught the virus".

Wonder how many of the patrons of those three establishments will be untraceable?

Yeah it's a bit of a concern. I assumed they were all asking for contact numbers, but as you say easy enough to lie anyway.

On the flipside I wonder if any jokers would call a pub after the fact and pretend they'd had it just to cause chaos? There are some bored knobs out there.

12 hours ago, Homer said:

Just went for a walk around Crystal Palace. Weirdly all the pubs are a lot busier tonight. Spoons (all indoors) particularly.

Reckon everyone had the same “I’ll just leave it a few days” attitude?

Edited by jparx

Just now, jparx said:

Reckon everyone had the same “I’ll just leave it a few days” attitude?

I'm guessing a lot of people assumed the weekend would be a shitshow of younger people going out to get wrecked so left it until the weekday so they can have their normal quiet pints without being disturbed and/or worried. Also just people making the most of their long lost post-work drinks.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah it's a bit of a concern. I assumed they were all asking for contact numbers, but as you say easy enough to lie anyway.

On the flipside I wonder if any jokers would call a pub after the fact and pretend they'd had it just to cause chaos? There are some barred knobs out there.

Ftfy. Yeah, it would only take one spiteful git who's been kicked out.

1 minute ago, MrZigster said:

Thinking it through however, I hope they'd make sure anyone making such claims were definitely positive before unnecessarily scaring a lot of people.

I wonder if there should be some system of showing test results? My friend has a kid at preschool and the whole family had to get tested because one of them was symptomatic. It ended up being negative but if it has been positive they had to show proof of the positive test to the preschool before they took action. So something like that? Even a photo of the test would do I guess. But then still open to abuse. It would be better if the NHS track team contacted the pub, which might be what happened.

I thought it still took longer than 24 hours to turn tests around too, so wondering how they've had these positive results so quickly?

17 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I wonder if there should be some system of showing test results? My friend has a kid at preschool and the whole family had to get tested because one of them was symptomatic. It ended up being negative but if it has been positive they had to show proof of the positive test to the preschool before they took action. So something like that? Even a photo of the test would do I guess. But then still open to abuse. It would be better if the NHS track team contacted the pub, which might be what happened.

I thought it still took longer than 24 hours to turn tests around too, so wondering how they've had these positive results so quickly?

Sounds about right. I also thought it seemed a bit quick. Maybe the people involved were obviously really ill (but weren't symptomatic when they went to the pub)?

Or could be track and trace has tracked somebody from somewhere earlier, who then went to one of the pubs concerned?

17 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Sounds about right. I also thought it seemed a bit quick. Maybe the people involved were obviously really ill (but weren't symptomatic when they went to the pub)?

Or could be track and trace has tracked somebody from somewhere earlier, who then went to one of the pubs concerned?

Yes second scenario sounds more likely.

20 hours ago, Homer said:

I went to Croydon Boxpark (open air street food market) at about 6pm last night and it was less than half full. Easy to distance.

Went to Crystal Palace later and the four or so pubs I walked past were all pretty dead (Wetherspoons was the deadest, I am glad to report). Had two pints in a pub garden which was empty bar one other group. Surprised that more people were sat inside the pub than in the garden.

Nice one man, good to hear. I think a lot of people are sensible here in SE.

What's your favourite to visit in Crystal Palace? I'd been to the G&G before it closed, and the spoons where they had an England game on, which was weird as I thought they were strictly no sport!